Western Eden

May 21, 2009

See the picture above? It’s the desert near a small town in Utah called Grantsville. Beautiful in its own right, but not very inviting or inhabitable. My Aunt Janet and Uncle Gary own several acres of that very land and have spent the last 10 years turning it into their own Eden:

Amazing, right? And having spent several idyllic afternoons on the property, I can tell you the pictures don’t do it justice. I’m not sure if I know anyone that works harder than Gary or Janet. You can read more about what they did in an article here. (More pics too!)

1 Jacqueline May 21, 2009 at 6:34 pm

That is amazing! It gives me hope for my small, dry bit of yard here in Colorado!

2 Natalie May 21, 2009 at 7:24 pm

what a small world! i’ve enjoyed your blog for years and now i find out we’re related {well, sort of!}!! I’m a grand-daughter-in-law of Sharleen (fawson) May’s- Gary’s sister :)

3 Alicia W. May 21, 2009 at 11:13 pm

What a beautiful place! Thank you for sharing the pictures and article with us!

4 Princess P May 22, 2009 at 1:04 am

I opened your blog to the same pictures that were in my hometown newspaper last Tuesday and started wondering if I was where I thought I was. Yes…..small world, my husband grew up in Grantsville, we live in Tooele.

5 Anonymous May 22, 2009 at 3:13 am

I’ve been there and I agree with DM: the pictures don’t do it justice.

6 wendysue May 22, 2009 at 10:21 am

Wow, hard work is right! (and a fun tidbit. . .my step Dad runs the Tooele Transcript-Bulletin–the newspaper that ran the story)

7 Mauri May 22, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Absolutely amazing!

8 Apryl May 22, 2009 at 1:45 pm

So inspiring. I especially love the quote at the end about making every place they live a little better. So I’m guessing they don’t play a lot of X-box???

9 april~living the sweet life May 22, 2009 at 4:15 pm

What a wonderful transformation.

10 troutdalites May 22, 2009 at 5:54 pm

another small world moment. I know your aunt and uncle. am sending a separate email. you made my day!

11 Rachel H May 23, 2009 at 12:45 pm

What an amazing transformation.. I can totally see what a thrill that must be for them. I am that same kind of person..I just LOOOVE taking something (or somewhere!) that looks like nothing and make it into something wonderful! So great.

12 Danielle May 23, 2009 at 12:57 pm

It is gorgeous! My sis in law lives in Grantsville and I never thought there could be anything that pretty there. Guess you can make pretty anywhere if you want to put the effort into it.

13 rose May 23, 2009 at 1:43 pm

my whole mom’s family is from grantsville. it’s a beautiful transformation they did!

14 Cathi May 25, 2009 at 9:45 am

Such gorgeous photos and such a lovely holiday hideaway. It took alot of vision to create this little bit of heaven on earth.

15 Carol F. May 26, 2009 at 4:44 pm

That is so amazing! I married into the Grantsville Fawson family, also. However, my husband’s family is from the Fawson grandpa’s brother. I believe there were two brothers that settled there. Some of my husband’s family still farm on Main Street. I love how the name Fawson is so uncommon that we can all find our way back to Grantsville.

Your aunt and Uncle’s property is completely gorgeous. What a testament to hard work.

16 a.t.a May 27, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I grew up in a tiny town nearby grantsville. What a smmall world.

17 birthday girl May 29, 2009 at 12:28 am

so, your entire family is amazingly talented?!