Moving Day Highlights

May 4, 2009

Unexpected happy things that happened on moving day:

1) A surprise neighborhood breakfast. Our street has a first-day-of-school-tradition of breakfast on the lawn while we wait for the school bus. As a super sweet farewell, our neighbors held a send-off breakfast for our family in the same tradition. We were touched and delighted. Everybody enjoyed donuts and juice and then we took pictures of the kids in front of the giant yellow and green Mayflower truck.

2) Figuring out the man who was directing the stuff onto the moving truck was also the driver and truck owner and would be the same man meeting us in Denver to unload. I can’t believe how much this put me at ease. It was so nice to see the truck driving off knowing it was headed straight to our new house — and not to a holding station somewhere to be reloaded onto another truck.

3) Feeling at ease. The actual move day was pretty darn peaceful. My oldest 3 went to school. My younger two played at Laura’s house. My friend Megan dropped by while the truck was being loaded to say a last goodbye, and everything was so calm that we got to have a great, hour-long discussion about schools and college placement. How’s that for an elegant move?

4) As we drove away from our empty house and headed out to pick up our kids, our friend Linda brought by a half dozen giant cupcakes from Lulu’s. So decadent!

5) When we picked up our kids, the elementary school gave us a sweet send-off. Ralph, Maude and Olive’s teachers organized a combined recess for their 3 classes during the last hour of the day. They all cheered us as we climbed in the car and headed to the airport hotel.

Recorded here so I don’t forget.

image here

1 awesomeasaone May 4, 2009 at 5:28 am

What an amazing community you have around you…I imagine it was very tough to leave. So many wonderful things await you in your new home, though. Can’t wait to hear more about how you and your family are doing in the new digs!

2 Emily S. May 4, 2009 at 8:16 am

This is all exciting but I never really got the details about this whole thing. Did you get my email? I am so anxious to learn more about this new and exciting transition in your life!

3 Anonymous May 4, 2009 at 8:17 am

Oh my, how hard it must be to say goodbye to such a special place.

4 Katie @ goodLife {eats} May 4, 2009 at 9:31 am

It sounds like your family is very loved and will be well missed! Glad everything turned out so special and ran smoothly.

5 MODsquad May 4, 2009 at 9:36 am

Welcome to Denver! You’ll love it here!

I just got reacquainted with your fabulous blog! Totally enjoying it!

Lisa

6 Sarah May 4, 2009 at 9:42 am

Good grief, sounds like you live in Mayberry. I’m jealous!

7 Careless May 4, 2009 at 10:02 am

I hope your acclimation to CO is just as sweet. We moved a few weeks ago from the South to the North and it has been an adjustment. Our new neighbors are wonderful and everyone has been so kind and generous. Our kids (11 yo girl and 8 yo boy) have reacted the exact opposite of how I expected. My daughter the outgoing child has had a difficult adjustment to a big new Middle School and making new friends, and my son who is introverted has blossomed and become Mr. Independent. But our new neighborhood is dripping with kids their ages and the bumps in the road are calming. Good Luck! I really enjoy reading your blog!

8 nano*ink May 4, 2009 at 11:08 am

Good luck in Colorado! You will thrive wherever you are…

9 Amy May 4, 2009 at 11:21 am

How awesome are your kids’ teachers?! Of all the charm and luck your family had with this move, the teachers organizing such a send-off for your children totally choke me up! Fabulous.

10 ellen May 4, 2009 at 11:31 am

You guys are rock stars!!

11 Naomi May 4, 2009 at 11:52 am

Safe travels to you all!

12 Misc Jenn May 4, 2009 at 12:23 pm

So happy that the move went well, it’s always nice to have the packing process go smoothly… it just makes the rest so much better!

13 Buby + Bleu May 4, 2009 at 2:12 pm

What a beautiful day, especially the sendoffs at home and school. I bet the kids will always remember that. Hope you’re settling in with just as much ease.

Now excuse me while I go get a cupcake!

14 Creative Dot Mom May 4, 2009 at 2:36 pm

What a great welcome! good luck with all the new and exciting transitions! I am glad that you are in the west and know that your new town is blessed to have you and your family as additions!

15 jen jafarzadeh May 7, 2009 at 11:11 am

I’m getting ready to move in a few weeks. Sounds like you had a super smooth day! congrats on the big move.

16 love.boxes May 10, 2009 at 9:22 am

Sounds like a wonderful day. :)

17 Carol F. May 10, 2009 at 1:27 pm

You were well-loved and enjoyed an amazing sense of community. I am touched by the loving sendoff of your community. Good luck in the new area.

18 birthday girl May 11, 2009 at 11:54 pm

isn’t it wonderful to be so loved?looking forward to hearing about your fresh start in colorado…