Weekend Plans

April 24, 2009

Well. We’re heading into our last weekend as New Yorkers.

I hesitate to tell you that I’m pretty much in tears every other hour or so these days. The hesitation is because I don’t want to sound like I’m down about Colorado. I’m actually very excited for this change and love looking forward to our new life in Denver. At the same time, I’m still having a hard time saying goodbye. Yesterday, as I left a hair appointment with Donna at the Lemon Tree, I was a crying mess. At least my hair was hot. : )

But our weekend plans look good. Really good. Today, the whole family is part of a photo shoot in Central Park. More on that later. But I will say that Maude is wearing the honeycomb studio jacket pictured above. It’s from Ismodern, and it is such a cool jacket. I hope its coolness is an indicator of how awesome the photos will be.

Then tonight, our dear friends the Wrights (you may remember their house tour here), are throwing us a grown-ups only farewell party. And I love them for it. A little birdie told me Ben Blair may be breaking out the guitar to perform some Neil Diamond. Crossing my fingers…

Saturday, we’ll spend the day at Benton Brook Farm in Massachusetts. And then on Sunday after church, we’ll picnic at Pepsico Gardens.

I hope your weekend is just as lovely. And I hope your weather looks as good as mine does right this minute. If you have any fun plans, please share — I love hearing about happy weekends.

1 Kaila April 24, 2009 at 10:48 am

My husband gets home after being gone all week (that’s all I need to make my weekend awesome)!

2 Megan April 24, 2009 at 10:49 am

I plan to sit outside for the first time this season in the warm sun and enjoy our last weekend as a couple before I’m induced next Friday! Big plans for dinners out and about, sleep, and savoring the quiet while it’s here!

3 Lindsey April 24, 2009 at 11:14 am

Enjoy every minute of it, Gabby. I’m so glad you get to go up to Benton Brook Farm and do all of the things you’ve done. It’s hard to say goodbye to NY. I still think about it everyday. (And sometimes can’t believe we actually left!)

Everything is going to be great because your family is so great.

Good luck with everything and lots of love from the West.

Have a great time at the party!

4 rookie cookie April 24, 2009 at 11:19 am

I feel your pain on moving and starting in a new place. Exciting, fun, scary, sad. Best of wishes. I really mean that.

My weekend includes going out to dinner and ice cream with my husband and boys. Making some hummus to give to friends. Going to the temple for a some worship and renewal. Making my 4 year old play in the rain. He is too hesitant about weather changes and it makes me crazy. Aren’t little kids supposed to LOVE playing in the rain???

5 ellen April 24, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Please post some of your Central Park family photos! I’m looking forward to a few 80 degree days in Boston this weekend! And, I’m speaking at our Women’s Conference about fun things to do in Boston. Good luck with the move. Can’t wait to hear about your Colorado adventures and discoveries.

6 awesomeasaone April 24, 2009 at 1:53 pm

New York is sending you out with the most beautiful weekend of 2009….enjoy every moment!!!

7 MonkeySeeMonkeyDo April 24, 2009 at 2:12 pm

We have a birthday party at the park and then maybe I’ll break out the pool, then on Sunday we have church and then lunch with the family hopefully outside on the porch because it is lovely out right now!

8 Pumpkin Petunia April 24, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Sounds like a lovely weekend.

We are also looking forward to temps. in the 80′s in Boston this weekend. Scheduled to arrive just in time for my daughter’s first communion! Big celebration on Saturday and on Sunday, relaxation.

(and on Friday, procrastination as I’m supposed to be prepping for the big event)

9 Lindsay April 24, 2009 at 2:45 pm

We’re heading to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens with our fingers crossed that we’ll see cherry blossoms.

Also, I love Benton Brook Farm, or The Barn, as my aunt calls it. When she and my uncle still lived in Mass., they were in the ward the owners came to when they were “in the country.” She was able to hold a wedding celebration there last summer for two of my cousins, and it was awesome. I’m glad you get to go.

10 Shermanators April 24, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I just found your site and love it! I’m so jealous you are moving to Denver! We’ve been praying about moving out there for the past few years. Like I am sure you feel about New York…we have mixed emotions about leaving beautiful San Diego! Blessings with the move!

Kelli

11 mj April 24, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I can totally relate! Moving can be really fun and exciting–I love getting to know new places and meeting new people–but it can be so hard too…

Good luck and enjoy your last days there!

We’re looking forward to a weekend trip to see some musical theatre and visit relatives.

12 carey April 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I can totally relate. We left NYC a couple of years ago for TX. It was VERY hard saying goodbye to the “Big Apple”, but we still have many friends who live their. On a positive note you’ll find that visiting is loads of fun. I don’t seem to mind all the daily annoyances (ie-overcrowded subways,people who don’t move over to the right on escalators, etc.) as a visitor as when I lived their :) Good luck with the move!

13 Allison aka HaselBride April 24, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I’ve learned it’s never easy to leave a place, no matter how excited you are for the new location… Good luck with the move! Enjoy your last weekend!

14 MK Countryman April 24, 2009 at 7:49 pm

You make me miss living in New York……..and I’ve never lived there!

I wanted to leave a comment earlier in the week when you posted the pics of your family last weekend but I didn’t know how to write what I was thinking. Now I’ve got it…sort of.

I love the way you share your life and your knowledge. You help me realize that its all about what you choose to focus on in life. There is no way your life can be all peachy right now with five little kids, a HUGE move, a home in boxes, dealing with your emotions for leaving….but, yet, you find so many bright spots and focus on that. In so many words, that is why I have just recently started blogging – to help me focus on all thepositive aspects of my life.

Thank you for all you’ve given…..and let us know how quickly you get the new library cards!

Thanks.

15 Katie @ goodLife {eats} April 24, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Good luck with it all. Change is so hard sometimes. Especially when you’re leaving behind so many lovely things.

Today I spent time in the garden and planted 2 more tomato plants that were gifted to us by my son’s doctor…bringing us to a grand total of 8 tomato plants!

Hubby and I have a date for dinner tomorrow night for my birthday. After that, as lame as it sounds, I’m excited that we’re heading to Sunflower Market to grocery shop for the week’s meals without any kids tagging along.

Looking forward to hearing more about your photoshoot. That jacket is too cute. I want it in my size!

16 Christen April 24, 2009 at 11:08 pm

I just wanted to say that every time I read your posts about leaving NY I ache for you. When we left Rome after some years and the birth of my first child there to return to Australia I felt like I was breaking up with the love of my life (well, the other one: shhh don’t tell my husband!). I still pine for it every day – but at least I only cry on average once a week! For what it’s worth, I wanted to tell you that my experience is that although the hole is always there, you will discover new joys and satisfactions that are equally nourishing…but different. Perhaps daily life won’t buzz at such a frenetic pace or take place in such a stunning setting but it
will nourish you anyway – because people like you – who feel things keenly and deeply – find the joy and beauty no matter where you are. I’m sure you know all that already but it used to help me to hear stories of others survival after a breakup!

17 she April 25, 2009 at 1:34 am

goodness, i have a heap of homework to do, and i spent the whole saturday procrastinating already. but my homework is fun, it’s type analyis [yes, i'm doing the GD degree - first year].
but i got some winter clothes [i'm from auckland], so it wasn’t such a waste of time, i suppose.

18 Jenelle April 25, 2009 at 3:04 am

You weekend sounds like so much fun! Bittersweet to have to say goodbye though! New York sounded like such the perfect fit for your family.

This weekend my son has a birthday party to go to and we’re watching my cousin’s 2 kids, but other than that I’m relaxing after a crazy hectic past couple weeks and my son’s Birthday Party last weekend.

Hope you have a great couple of days!

Jenelle
Lovely Sprinkles

19 sybil April 25, 2009 at 8:34 am

i am taking my son, hogan, to the season’s first shearing of the alpacas at the alpaca farm (duh…). He is only five months old, but who doesn’t enjoy seeing a hairy beast turn into a wet rat… hehe

20 Natalie April 25, 2009 at 10:57 am

Have a great last NY weekend! I now you’ll just love it here in Colorado! Have a safe move!

21 Anne April 25, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Hope your weekend is a blast so far!

22 Likes Chocolate April 26, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I hope you share the photos from the photo shoot. We had a great weekend. Grandma (Oma) from Germany came and we ate a fantastic Asian Ginger Ribs inspired from Real Simple Magazine this month. They were fantastic served with sticky rice and Chinese Cabbage Salady. Yum!

23 Kate The Great April 26, 2009 at 11:54 pm

We just attended a series of lectures on low-vision research, which is extremely applicable to me, and then bought $15 worth of books at the SLC library book sale. What a cool building. And because there were lots of activity tables to celebrate Earth Day, what a cool atmosphere to be a part of.

The best part os that I got to spend the entire day with my best friend, who was in good spirits and very talkative all day. Drizzly and cool, but not full-on rain, which was a gorgeous medium for the weather we’ve been having. All in all, a pleasant Saturday.