Moving Day

April 29, 2009

It is here.

It is really here!

Moving day.

The Mayflower packing crew came yesterday morning. They came armed with a truckload of moving supplies and whipped the house into shape in less than 3 hours. When things were winding down, we sat around the kitchen table drinking soda and swapping the best moving stories we’d heard/experienced. No surprise: the crew’s stories were better than mine. Long Island is a fascinating place, my friends.

There was something so energizing about having the packing crew arrive. Like it was finally game time. And decisions had to be made now or never. I loved it.

When the packers were driving away, Mayflower’s quality control rep dropped by to make sure everything was in order for today. And Diane called twice to see how I was doing and how things were progressing. I felt very taken care of.

Although I’ve been working like crazy to get ready, there were a couple of rooms I wasn’t quite prepared to get fully packed up yet. So I asked them to leave some moving boxes and I finished up last night while Ben Blair cycled through the rest of the laundry. (Have I told you lately how wonderful Ben Blair is? And sexy.)

Today is the loading. There are about 1 billion boxes. But today’s moving crew guesstimated we’d be over and done before the kids get home from school at 3:15.

They’ll come home to an empty house.

We’ll say our goodbyes.

Blow kisses to our bedrooms.

Wave at Quanta (the grassy area at the end of the street that my kids named after they watched Bridge to Terabithia).

Then we’ll pile into the car and drive to JFK.

We’ll stay at a hotel nearby and fly out early tomorrow morning.

My last day in New York. Au revoir, mon ami.

1 Katy April 29, 2009 at 9:05 am

To a new adventure! CLINK!

2 liz April 29, 2009 at 9:05 am

holy cow!!!! this almost made me want to cry.

cheers to happy endings and new beginnings!

3 j April 29, 2009 at 9:07 am

I’m sad for you.
And excited.

4 Janssen April 29, 2009 at 9:08 am

What a sweet post – you’ll always remember your lovely life in NYC.

Off to a new life!

5 Laura April 29, 2009 at 9:10 am

Best of luck with the move. Having moved our little family 2 times in the past 5 years… I understand. But leaving a great city like NY is surely more difficult than anywhere I’ve ever left.

6 Me? A Mom? April 29, 2009 at 9:21 am

well crap. I’m in tears over here. Goodbyes are so hard but hellos can be so much fun. Here’s to the next chapter of your lives!

7 LobotoME April 29, 2009 at 9:26 am

best wishes on your new adventure!!! you all will love colorado and it’s sunny skies!

xo, jenny :)

8 THE PARIS HOUSE April 29, 2009 at 9:28 am

New beginnings are very exciting..its just that New York is never an easy place to leave! can’t wait to hear of your new adventures

9 Allysha April 29, 2009 at 9:30 am

oh, Gabby! Reading this I feel like I’m doing it all over again. Except you are more prepared than I was.

Good luck! Excited to hear about Colorado!

10 Kaila April 29, 2009 at 9:32 am

Do you have a house picked out in CO yet? Man, just as we get a little closer to you, you have to go and move. Shucks.

11 Rizley Family April 29, 2009 at 9:38 am

I have never posted before, but hearing your words tug at my heartstrings. When we moved from Washington DC to Arizona a few years ago, I remember being so incredibly sad. It took me awhile to adjust, but now I feel happy with my life in Arizona. I know it’s where I am supposed to be right now. Good luck, cute girl. Saying goodbye is never easy, but new adventures await. You can do it!

12 Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love April 29, 2009 at 9:47 am

WOW! Good luck with the move. You made me a little sad for you! I have never been to NY and am dying to go! How luck that you got to experience all that it offered for these years!

13 amberlee April 29, 2009 at 9:50 am

wow. what a day. you’ve made a lot of moving memories come flooding back. hard to imagine saying good bye to NY. best wishes on your families new adventure.

14 made sweet April 29, 2009 at 9:52 am

good luck!

15 That's Ms. Amy to You... April 29, 2009 at 10:05 am

I know this is a bittersweet time. There are many adventures in store for you, and good times to come. The wonderful thing about having lived in a place you loved is that it will still be there for you.

16 Sarita Emilia April 29, 2009 at 10:13 am

I only lived in NYC for one summer internship, but it completely changed me like no other place could. You’ll be great any place, but I know that leaving New York is never easy…

17 e April 29, 2009 at 10:15 am

blair & sue were visiting last week and we chatted about the other blair's moving across the country. mom was so incredibly complimentary of you and your family. New York is going to miss you!! Best of luck in your new digs. Looking forward to hearing about it!

18 gretchen April 29, 2009 at 10:27 am

wow. congratulations on such grace while moving. we have moved a lot, east coast, west coast, east coast, tokyo, west coast, east coast… never nearly as easily or as gracefully as you! but always an adventure. i feel like it takes a few years to really settle in, (where is the pharmacy? dry cleaner? find a dentist, register for schools, meet great people), but once you do it all feels additive and like the best of both worlds. enjoy your grand adventure!

19 Lala April 29, 2009 at 10:35 am

Can you point me to the post that explains the wheres, whys and whatnot of your move? I see by the comments that you’re going to Colorado but I’ve missed the backstory. Good luck.

20 Jeannie April 29, 2009 at 10:44 am

I know you go with a mixture of enthusiasm and wistfulness. But the decision’s made, the worries are past, the goodbyes have been said.

I can’t wait to hear from you next!

This is very exciting for you.

And little ole me, out here in my little corner of world at the beach.

21 Sarah April 29, 2009 at 10:58 am

you made me cry, change is always so hard. boo. but it is so necessary and wonderful at the same time. thanks for sharing your life with readers.

22 jcaroline April 29, 2009 at 11:25 am

I’m going to live vicariously through your move! Enjoy the adventure!

23 Mixing Bowl Mama April 29, 2009 at 11:30 am

I really look forward to hearing about your new adventures….I’m sure they’ll be very exciting.

24 kh April 29, 2009 at 11:53 am

My heart hurts for you. But I’m exciting at the same time.

25 internalizer April 29, 2009 at 11:59 am

I cried the day we left San Francisco for Louisville. Our moving company was horrible – I should have picked Mayflower. Thank you so much for giving a lot of detail about their process. I won’t go on about the nightmare we experience with movers that are no longer in business (I thought they were part of National network, but they weren’t). Anyway, now we are in Louisville and I am slowly adjusting. Our family is loving it, though. Lots of room to grow and play and eye-opening experiences outside of SF bubble.

26 Karen April 29, 2009 at 12:12 pm

You have made (& documented!) so many wonderful memories in NYC. Wishing you all of the best in this new and exciting chapter of your lives.
Have a good trip out West and I look forward to hearing about your new stomping grounds!

27 Alicia W. April 29, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I just started reading your blog yesterday (thanks to Candice Stringham) and today you go and make me almost cry! I remember our last move…it was more emotional than I had expected for everyone. Good luck with all the logistics…I’m excited to hear about your new life in CO.

28 Jessica April 29, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Happy moving day!!

I’m glad things are going well so far.

29 whoorl April 29, 2009 at 12:30 pm

What a bittersweet time, but you will love Colorado. You have my word! :)

30 momof3girls April 29, 2009 at 1:16 pm

good luck with the move! Wow! there really is alot to do

31 Fine Twined April 29, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I’m suddenly feeling all alone here in Connecticut!

32 Kiasa April 29, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Your post makes me wonder how I will handle moving out of NYC when/if that time happens. Thanks for all your inspiration. New York will miss you!

33 CWDkids April 29, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Best of luck to you! I can’t wait to hear how much you love Colorado.

Ashley, with CWDkids

34 Neas Nuttiness April 29, 2009 at 1:45 pm

You’ll love Colorado! Hope you remembered to have the movers put the TP on the truck, in the last box;-)

PS – come by my place today, and follow the link to vote for ME!

35 Neas Nuttiness April 29, 2009 at 1:45 pm

PS – come by my place today, and follow the link to vote for ME!

36 archmom April 29, 2009 at 2:11 pm

my heart is aching for you with both despair and absolute excitement!

37 Joslyn April 29, 2009 at 2:19 pm

ooooh friend! good luck on your excellent new adventure.
xox

38 robin k April 29, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Good-byes and hellos – they always get to me. You write sweetly of yours.

39 Jennifer April 29, 2009 at 2:21 pm

You may be leaving NY, but she will never leave you. She has added so much to who you are, just as your new home will. Hope everything goes smoothly in your amazing life adventure and I look forward to reading all about the new inspirations that come into your life because of this move. Best wishes!

40 liz stanley April 29, 2009 at 2:21 pm

i seriously am getting teary eyed. but so excited for you guys. i love new adventures!

41 Lizzy April 29, 2009 at 2:40 pm

leaving NY is so hard. but you have a great welcoming crew here in CO! Where are you settling?

42 Maria April 29, 2009 at 3:17 pm

As sad as it is to leave a place where so many memories where made, new beginings are so empowering that it will bring your family even closer as you get settle in your new home.

Best wishes!!!

43 Charlene April 29, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I can tell this is probably the worst time to contact you, so maybe you can contact me at your earliest convenience. I’m writing a story on the blogger moms who went to Hallmark that graduated from BYU. I have already spoken with Diedre Mize, Natalie Lewis and Trisha. I would love your perspective, too. You can reach me at charlene_winters@byu.edu, and I’ll give you my number. Happy move.

44 Anne April 29, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I remember well, the stresses of a big move… we did it 3 years ago across the Pacific from Australia. Felt very apprehensive but don’t regret the move to Chicago at all. Now we are wondering where to move to next? Crave some space, but don’t want to leave the city!?
Find an excellent coffee shop, some friends to share the highs and woes, great walking trails and a good bakery… I know this helps me!

Best of luck finding the perfect abode.

45 SSAS April 29, 2009 at 5:53 pm

good luck. it was sweet seeing how you spent your last month in NY.
happy trails.

46 she April 29, 2009 at 8:22 pm

awwwww well happy journey!

47 Katrina April 29, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Wow. We are moving from North Carolina to Utah in a month and reading this made me cry. Sadness with excitement mixed in. I get it.

Also, I’m jealous that you had a moving company move you. We are doing it ourselves. uck.

48 Laura April 29, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Good luck! May nothing be broken when you arrive…

49 JerseyBaby April 30, 2009 at 6:27 am

Safe, and fun, travels to your new home! NY is definitely going to miss you!

50 Musings of a Housewife April 30, 2009 at 8:38 am

I had no idea you were moving until I saw your tweet this morning! Will dig thru your archives to read the whole story, but you sound happy. Still, this post made me tear up a bit. :-) Best of luck in Denver!

51 Amanda April 30, 2009 at 9:05 am

Cheers! Happy trails.

52 topsyturvydays April 30, 2009 at 12:00 pm

As a longtime lurker, I thought I’d come out of the woodwork to say I love your tribute to the home you are leaving behind. Your family will have wonderful memories. Good luck and have fun making new memories. I can’t wait to see what’s to come!

53 kgbgraphics April 30, 2009 at 12:42 pm

tears are rolling down my cheeks for you and especially your kids….
So why is it that have to move?
new jobs?

54 Kristine April 30, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Lurker coming out to say this post was moving. You’ve done this move with style and created great memories for your kids. Best of luck, Gabby. You are inspiring.

55 Raquel (NY) April 30, 2009 at 4:09 pm

What a wonderful, wonderful post. I know that NY is not an easy place to leave (had to do it myself a while ago) but it will always be here for you to come visit (and it will always be in your heart as a special place to visit when things are tough). I am sure the Blair family will be happy wherever they go. Happy New Life!

56 julifry April 30, 2009 at 8:25 pm

lump in my throat…

57 amyks April 30, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Best wishes to you and your family. Enjoy your new adventures, I look forward to reading all about them. Thanks for sharing.

58 MKCountryman April 30, 2009 at 11:09 pm

The nytimes weekender guy is moving his family also….weird timing. The ones of live, love, and write of new york are leaving at the same time. Your goodbye is MUCH, MUCH Better. see here:

Been thinking of your family today. How is everyone doing? kids? ben blair?

59 Sherry May 1, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Way to shake things up! You are so brave! Now I find that I am left with that left behind feeling…so I can’t wait to hear about all that you find to love out there! I’ll be reading loyally.

60 Neuf Francs May 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Best of luck on your big move! I live in 5,280 so if you are looking for some great spots let me know! Here are some starters: Talulah Jones, The Oven, Osteria Marco, Kuulture, Lola, Little Man Ice Cream… just to name a few!

61 R J May 6, 2009 at 3:18 am

Hi. I landed on your blog accidentally, but I must say that you have written this post quite beautifully. I wish your new home brings lots of happiness for you. I know how difficult it is to shift homes. Not only emotionally but it can be physically exhausting too. A few months ago, when I bought a new home and decided to shift, all I was worried about was the shifting process. Then, my colleague told me about Local Movers (http://www.localmovers.com). From the extensive list they have put up on their website, I could choose a moving company meeting my requirements and budget. I would surely recommend their help services to all those who are looking for reliable moving company in the US.

62 Bri December 19, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Just wanted to let you know how helpful you are! I searched your blog for this post tonight because I remembered reading it when it was first posted & I am on the cusp of relocating myyself. My husband has been finding all kinds of awful reports on the moving companies he’s been in contact with thus far. All of a sudden, a lightbulb went off & I was like, ‘let me see what company ‘Design Mom’ used – she was really happy with them.’ So thanks.