Last Weekend

April 21, 2009

We continue to say our goodbyes and pack in as much of the city as we can. Here’s a quick report on the weekend’s adventures.

Thursday night I attended a Yann Tiersen concert with Katherine Kaneko at The Fillmore. I’m guessing about 75% of the audience spoke French — so the eavesdropping was extra lovely. Before the concert we ate dinner at Bar Blanc and stopped in at Bigelow Apothecary. Also. Yann Tierson was fun, but we liked the opening band even more.

On Friday, as soon as the kids hopped off the school bus, we went straight to the NY Botanical Gardens and spent the afternoon. Playing in the children’s garden. Watering new plants at the family garden. Riding the tram. Walking the forest path. And playing in the fountain. The Botanical Garden has been one of our favorite spots and it was looking especially lovely all done up in Spring blossoms. It was hard for me to walk away.

That night, Ben and I joined friends at Freeman’s for dinner. To get to Freeman’s you walk down a funky little alley and through ginormous wooden doors. It’s a really cool space that attracts some really hip company. The food was delicious. The weather was perfect. It was just one of those magical nights.

On Saturday morning, Ralph spoke at his friend’s baptism. He did a great job — was a very confident and eloquent speaker. That night, Ben Blair and I saw comedian Demetri Martin in Tarrytown, followed by dinner at a local Greek diner. Demetri’s show was terrific, but I got the feeling that most of the crowd hadn’t finished high school yet. So I’m not sure what I think about that. When dinner was over, we realized it was only 10:00 and we weren’t ready to go home yet so we drove to Pinkberry on the Upper West Side and indulged our sweet tooth.

Sunday was the usual loveliness of church and family. It was pretty much the best weekend ever.

1 At Home with Kim Vallee April 21, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Pinkberry is so delicious.
By the way, my mother language is French.

2 Jeannie April 21, 2009 at 5:01 pm

i’m enjoying this so much, reading about your goodbye to NYC. i came to your blog enjoying reading about NYC. where is live is the polar opposite of there but i’ve always been attracted to it. i can’t wait to read about your adventures west.

i’ve never had pinkberry but there is one here, now, too, in Jacksonville, FL. not out here at the beach, where we continue to gorge on plain old ice cream :-)

3 jomama April 21, 2009 at 7:51 pm

sounds like a great weekend! i’m glad you liked yann tiersen, i’ve just started hearing about him. and asobi seksu? great band (don’t really like their name, though.)
can’t wait to visit the botanical gardens in nyc.

4 candice April 21, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I just told my husband today that I really want to try Freemans it’s been on my list for a while but I kept hearing that the service was really bad. I’m happy to hear something good! We will have to go next weekend!

5 Lindsey April 21, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Honestly, your life there sounds Idyllic. I am kinda sad you are moving to Colorado. I hope you find the same kind of wonder and charm as living on the East Coast. But, to be honest,the two coasts are just so different! I would love to swap places with you though.

6 Anonymous April 22, 2009 at 12:15 am

i’ve never been to NYC [i'm from New Zealand], but you seem so passionate about it, it makes me want to visit! i’m very sure that if i move out of auckland some day, i’ll do the same thing you did [but with my parents and gran!]. visiting everything … awesome. you’re so inspirational!

7 Anonymous April 22, 2009 at 12:16 am

pinkberry sounds like movenpick.

8 katy April 22, 2009 at 6:21 am

Demetri Martin is so funny. Love his “serious” humor. Have you seen his movie? Funny and sweet.

Good luck with your move.

9 Amanda April 22, 2009 at 6:49 am

i’m new to your blog-but i just perused through and saw that you’re moving to colorado.
i’m a colorado native and LOVE it.
here are a few of my favorites-
1) estes park (so close to boulder)-go during august-you will get to see ALL the elk in their rutting glory. it’s stunning.
and, you can drive throughout the whole park-so when kids get tired, they can watch the elk from the car.
2) red rocks amphitheater
3) garden of the gods (col springs)
4) morrison
5) golden
6) pikes peak train
have fun!

and we’re moving to nyc in august-so thanks for all the great ideas for places to visit :)

10 Mixing Bowl Mama April 22, 2009 at 9:29 am

Your posts are like a love letter to New York…what a treat to read.

11 Joslyn April 22, 2009 at 12:22 pm

that sounds like an absolutely perfect weekend.

i have a bit of a crush on demetri martin…even if he is 12 ;-)

12 made sweet April 23, 2009 at 4:06 am

ooh! i love pinkberry!

13 Grace June 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I do this about everyday: check your blog for an update and then randomly click back to old blog entries I haven’t read. I must say, your taste in comedy is right up my alley. I’m twenty, and Demetri Martin is a supremely clever guy. So what if the crowd’s made up of youngsters? That just means you’re hip, silly. And it’s funny you went out to eat Greek food afterwardss considering Demetri’s Greek himself (insert rimshot).