Goodbye to Rockwood Hall & Brooklyn Bridge

April 15, 2009

We are trying our best to stay true to our calendar. Last week we walked the Brooklyn Bridge and ate at Grimaldis. We stopped in the middle to make a wish.

There was no line at the restaurant. A fact which I like to think of as a little goodbye gift from New York to the Blair Family.

We also said our farewell to one of our favorite walking parks, Rockwood Hall, situated on the banks of the Hudson River.
The outings are invariably delightful. But I usually end up in tears for at least part of the visit. : )

Question: what would you wish for while standing in the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge?

1 Jill April 15, 2009 at 10:17 am

these pictures are so sweet. i love how much you’re putting in to your ny goodbye.

2 cindy April 15, 2009 at 10:48 am

Hope you get to visit often! I stopped by Grimaldi’s last year and it was simply amazing – it was well worth the wait. I’ve never had pizza like it!

3 liz April 15, 2009 at 10:49 am

I haven’t peeked at your calendar yet, but I wanted to be sure to remind you about Junior’s Cheesecake just in case.

And FYI- they do ship out of town once you move, we have done that at least 6 times since we have moved we miss it so.

4 Kate The Great April 15, 2009 at 11:04 am

I agree with Cindy; Grimaldi’s is the best pizza I’ve ever had. Period. My brothers and I often ask each other what the name of that awesome pizza place is and tell each other that it is indeed the best. Even though it’s been years since our visit to NY.

5 cally April 15, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I’d wish for Chocolate by the Bald Man. Lots of it.

6 Molly April 15, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I would wish that a parade would immediately cross the bridge:)

7 kgbgraphics April 15, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I would wish for a few hrs of mommy only time to update my design portfolio! Therefore resulting in a better job, not only for me, but my girls :)

8 Lindsey April 15, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I missed the fact that you were moving to Colorado! Denver? Despite the fact that my children are all native Texans, I think their hearts reside at least somewhat in Colorado. We try to visit as often as we are able. Bon Voyage, and may you enjoy all your NY last hurrahs before you go!

9 Anonymous April 15, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Hi Gabby! James Mayes here.

Good luck with the move! Thinking of all the new experiences you are about to encounter in Colorado makes me happy. Make the most of it as you always do.

10 katherine Center April 15, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Colorado is so breathtaking and amazing! What a terrific place for kids! I lived there for a year right out of college, and I still think about the land, the vistas, the air… There is more beauty than you can shake a stick at. And so much closer to Texas! Hooray! xoxo!

11 Kristy April 15, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I would wish for the perfect little house slippers I’ve been dreaming up to magically fly off my sewing machine. Voila!

12 Likes Chocolate April 16, 2009 at 7:19 am

The pizza looks way too yummy! Lucky duck to be so close to real pizza places.

13 Jeanette Mc. April 16, 2009 at 8:02 am

I would wish for my daughter to get into Brooklyn Law. She’s waiting with baited breath.

14 joolee April 16, 2009 at 10:34 am

it gives me a lump in the throat to see pics of the Hudson, thanks for sharing them – i’m from up north, near Poughkeepsie, but don’t get back there much (we live in Vancouver, WA). i know how it feels; every time i leave the east after visiting i’m in tears at some point or other…

15 coolmom April 16, 2009 at 11:37 am

I’d simply wish for more days like this!

16 Heather April 16, 2009 at 11:39 am

I think it’s great that you’re going to all these places before you move on to your new adventure! And, I must say, you do NOT look like you’ve had 5 kids!

17 Deborah April 16, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I love seeing your posts about your ‘last’ visits. We are doing the same, and it is so much fun. Also reminds you why you love it here and why it’s hard to leave. :( We are doing the bridge Saturday. I’ll make a wish that you will find peace and joy in this move. Love you, friend! :)

18 Anonymous April 16, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Gabby, that last comment was me! I realized this was signed on as my sister who is visiting. Oops!
Angela

19 MB April 16, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I would wish for another child. (We are adoptive parents…). I love your images and outings! How glorious and glamorous NY looks!

20 Jeannie April 19, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I would wish for as exciting a life in the Denver area as its been for the Blairs in New York! And I’m sure it will be. I’m loving reading the stories of all your ‘lasts’…and boy, does your oldest daughter resemble you.

21 Jeannie April 19, 2009 at 9:30 pm

i guess you asked for what WE would wish for if standing on the Brooklyn Bridge…i misunderstood and thought you were asking us to suggest a wish for YOU…duh…that’s what i get for watching TV while commenting :-)

No, really. I’d love to live in some parts of Colorado, but instead I’m celebrating my own life, here, at the beach on atlanticbeachlife. But i do so enjoy reading about other venues like New York, Brooklyn, the mountains, the Pacific Northwest…anywhere…because creative people can make ‘home’ an interesting place anywhere!

Again, blessings on your journey. I remember when we moved here (Atlantic Beach) from MIchigan. It was such a different place and so very exciting.
Change is awesome, enjoy.

22 jcaroline April 20, 2009 at 1:31 pm

On the Brooklyn Bridge, I would wish for a move to Colorado! :-) Good luck with the journey!

23 Shooting Starchild April 21, 2009 at 1:05 am

I love the picture of you and the kids with your eyes closed on the bridge. So poetic.