Color Fight

April 8, 2009

Did you see the color fight that my sister Jordan put on for her friend’s birthday? It’s the happiest thing I’ve seen in my whole life. Also. Jordan created some awesome (and inexpensive) bookworm party invitations. Find out how to
make your own here. Also. My brother Jared is on an only-for-experts ski trip called Haute Route that takes him from Chamonix, France to Zermatt, Switzerland. It is mind-blowing to me. Check out some details here.

I love being related to interesting people.

Question: what kind of party would you throw where a color fight would be perfect? In other words, what’s a good excuse to host a color fight?

1 Kaila April 8, 2009 at 12:33 pm

LOVE the color fight. I’m now trying to find an excuse to have one of my own.

2 Autumn April 8, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Thanks for the great resources! I saw some color something or other party in India (I think ) on Amazing Race. Looked like an absolute blast to me. And those invites. My my my. Thanks.

3 Elisabeth April 8, 2009 at 5:02 pm

i cannot stop looking at the photos. (remember the end of regina spektor’s “fidelity” music video! ahhh!) what a charming creative lady jordan is! i’m wildly longing for a party of my own including holi colours now! interesting seems an understatement. stupendous, maybe. or supercalafragalisticexpealidocious. and a book party, my word, how perfect! thank you.

4 Satie April 8, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Yes, it is called Holi festival. We used to have color fight all day…it was national holiday…it was one and only day when childeren were allowed to throw colors on adults and not get in trouble…people purposely wear white…i live in Canada now and it is too cold to in March to go out and have color fight in the rain..in Vancouver…it was a blast…

5 jordan April 8, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Thanks sister.

6 Ashley April 8, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I LOVE the color fight. I must have one. Maybe this summer when it is 115 degrees where I live and my guests can hose off afterwards ;)

7 Honeybee April 9, 2009 at 9:01 am

This year I had the change to go to a Holi Festival (AKA Festival of Colors) at the Krishna Temple in Springville Utah. There are about 15,000 people throwing colors like this. It happens every March to welcome spring. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate the return of color to the landscape after the dead winter. My other favorite part is EVERYONE is covered in color. We are all united in a funny way, and for a little while we forget about all of our differences. :)

8 {april kennedy} April 9, 2009 at 10:40 am

A “just because” party. Aren’t those the best! I saw Jordan’s color fight and have been dreaming of it since. We have a park around the corner from us. I think I will host a family home evening for some fun families and just tell them to wear grubbies and show up at the park. Should be fun!

Shhhh….don’t tell!

9 Janice April 9, 2009 at 11:31 am

totally having a color fight party in honor of my sister, whose fiancee just broke off their wedding :(

10 Wendy April 9, 2009 at 11:52 am

We have a messy party every summer, to either mark the beginning of summer break or the end of it. These powders would be a great addition. Though, I do worry a little about inhaling all of it.

Does it stain your skin? ‘Cause that would make it extra fun. ;)

11 Be Like the Squirrel, Girl April 9, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Awesome. I was going to mention the Krishna Temple Festival as well. And let’s not forgot Regina Spektor’s great video, “Fidelity.” There’s a color fight at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTDRztaCCw

12 Anonymous April 10, 2009 at 12:13 am

yes, autumn’s right, we do have colour fights in india … it’s a festival, so we get to celebrate it every year … it’s called “holi”, even older people get into it … it’s so much fun!!

13 Anonymous April 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm

I haven’t been able to stop thinking about this since I saw Jordan’s blog post either–I’m doing it for my daughter’s 3rd birthday at her great grandparent’s lake house! I’m making the colors (found some recipes online using spices and whatnot) so they’re safe for kids and we’re just going to go nuts, then jump in the lake–my daughter saw the pics and asks me when we can do it almost daily :). Color fight and cupcakes? What more could a 3 year old want?

-Danielle

14 ~Sister Boogie Woman April 13, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I would love to know what the color is called and where you can get it! I feel like my 16 year old and her friends need to have a party with those results!!!

15 zobars April 13, 2009 at 6:31 pm

we do this every year in India for the festival of Holi and this year we did it with our kids here in US and it was way too much fun.

16 Ashley Rae July 22, 2010 at 10:55 am

I love this! i just went and check out her post on it and it looks fabulous! I think i am going to try to talk my friends into doing this for my birthday this year! :)