Ask Design Mom Week: Kitchen Throw Rug

April 2, 2009

Question:
Hi Gabrielle. I am trying to find an affordable, cute, fun, bright rug to put in kitchen? Any ideas where to look? Thank you. — Courtenay

Answer:
Hi Courtenay. Great question. I go through phases where I’m using kitchen throw rugs and not using kitchen throw rugs. When I’m in a using phase, I prefer something smallish that I can easily throw in the washing machine. My favorites are the 2′ x 3′ rag rugs that I pick up at Target and Ikea. Very inexpensive (under $5 each). And they come in such fun mixes of color.

What about you, Dear Readers? Do you use kitchen rugs? Where do you find yours?

The rug pictured is called Cleo. It’s more expensive than I would use as a kitchen throw rug, but I thought the photo was good. And I would love this rug elsewhere in the house. Also. Did you know you could win a $300 shopping spree from Peek? Find out how here.

1 myimaginaryblog April 2, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I would have said rag rugs from Ikea, too. I’ve found some pretty and inexpensive ones at TJMaxx, too.

2 Sandi April 2, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I got mine on sale from Garnett Hill

3 Leslie April 2, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I just bought a great rug from Pier 1. The best thing about it is that it’s rubber backed, so it doesn’t slip. I really hate my kitchen floor, so I bought a large-ish one to cover as much of it as possible.

4 Damaris April 2, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I always buys a rug that I can put in the washer. I like to get mine from Ross, they are so inexpensive and most are even good quality.

5 jodi b April 2, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Cost Plus, Ikea and good old Target are always good bets.

6 laura April 2, 2009 at 2:10 pm

For years I had a great runner from Garnett Hill, but I recently changed it over to a tile carpet from FLOR … it’s great! Two tiles wide and about five long. Since they get spilled on and ground-in a bit, it’s super easy to just pick one up and clean it and replace it.

7 kat April 2, 2009 at 3:25 pm

crate and barrel has nice colorful, cotton rugs. they wash up great – mine has been through the washer at least 50 times, and still looks great.

8 pam April 2, 2009 at 3:44 pm

ditto to crate and barrel. i’ve found my last 2 there. i prefer a runner length (if you have the space). and don’t forget a rug pad underneath to keep it from slipping.

9 MamaChristy April 2, 2009 at 5:40 pm

If you have a Garden Ridge Pottery near you, this is a great place for woven area rugs. Nice ones for under $5 that change a bit – but for the better – when you wash them.

Please be careful about using a rubber-backed rug. Some types of flooring will change color underneath. I learned that the hard way in my old house.

10 Pumpkin Petunia April 2, 2009 at 7:09 pm

The indoor/outdoor rugs that are in abundance this time of year are great for kitchens. They have some really nice ones at Crate and Barrel and you would never know that they’re made for the outdoors. The best part – you can take them outside and hose them down!

11 collard green queen April 2, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Dash and Albert are great with kids- there indoor outdoor line you can spray off with a hose – let it dry and bring it back in- these may be the ones from Garnet Hill

12 Kelley at My Island Wedding April 2, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I just love those storage ottomans from crate and barrel too. I keep meaning to get one in the green just to mix things up a bit (and store some crud!)

13 Kelley at My Island Wedding April 2, 2009 at 8:11 pm

P.S. funny I should just read this article now, …

My sister in law just got a fairly expensive jute rug from pier 1 figuring it would be easy to spot clean. Dog spit up, she used some every day cleaner and the CLEANER stained the rug!!! I guess watch what you spray out there too.

14 Danielle April 2, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I love the ones I have gotten from target! I have also gotten some great ones from World Market and crate and barrel.

15 Amy April 3, 2009 at 7:16 am

My daughter got several rag rugs from IKEA for about $5 each. They are larger than most, very nice looking, and they wash very well.

16 emmersrae April 3, 2009 at 8:30 am

I just bought 2 at WALMART for $5 each, and I love them! I bought the first one, and loved it so much that I bought another one for the front door. Great colors, great texture, and great price! I’m not a wally-world shopper for most things unless it’s dog food, but I’m pleasantly surprised with their selection.

17 Katy April 3, 2009 at 8:59 am

I would also go inexpensive and small (to be able to wash in a front-loader), because it’s something I personally like to replace frequently to give the kitchen a fresh, new feeling.

18 Molly April 3, 2009 at 12:40 pm

What about those rugs you posted before? From Flor: http://www.flor.com

They look like they would hold up very well and not show spills!

19 Jessica Rosario April 3, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I sometimes find my kitchen rugs at Pier 1 they have some fun colors. The most I’ve paid for one is $8. Ikea is the next Top place.

20 Anne April 3, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I just found beautiful rugs at a little store near me…not cheap but gorgeous colors, durable and washable. Check them out at http://www.dashandalbert.com

21 Liz April 3, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I actually always buy mine at Kohl’s and I really don’t even like that store but they have a good selection of kitchen rugs, the cool ones and the price is right.

22 wide open spaces April 4, 2009 at 9:08 pm

target always has cute, cheap rag rugs. and they aren’t too hard too make if you are feeling industrious. here an article on how to do it:

23 brooke April 4, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I get all of my rugs from Ikea- they’re pretty thin so they can easily go through my washing machine.