Ask Design Mom Week: Good Looking Baby Walker

April 1, 2009

Question:
Hi Design Mom. I’m at my wits’ end trying to find a baby walker that’s not all plastic and blinking lights. My taste runs more towards BabyBjorn/Stokke/Sven than Fisherprice, but I haven’t been able to find a thing. Thanks for your help! — Amy

Answer:
Hi Amy. This is a great question! Here are two of my favorites. Radio Flyer makes a retro-classic walker/wagon — complete with storage space for blocks and teddy bears. And Plan Toys makes a woodpecker walker that is as charming as can be. (image via Inhabitots)

Dear Readers, what walkers would you recommend to Amy?

1 Anonymous April 1, 2009 at 10:58 am

We got the brio toddler wobbler in black. Its been awesome and 1 year later the kid still plays with it.

2 love.boxes April 1, 2009 at 10:58 am

Both very cute!

3 Making it Lovely April 1, 2009 at 11:01 am

IKEA has a very simple one that’s cute. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40060836 I painted mine pink. :)

4 Dyan April 1, 2009 at 11:02 am

I love the radio flyer walker. My daughter is always playing with it even though she has been walking for months now. Her friends will climb in and she pushes them around, or they put dolls, books, etc. in the bottom. It is nice because it can be used for more than just a walker.

5 Alison April 1, 2009 at 11:07 am

We love the radio flyer walker as well. Now that he’s a bit older, we store his stuffed animals in the wagon and he loves pushing them around the house. He also loves to throw them all on the floor and climb in himself!

It’s very sturdy and keeps on a straight line which was great when he was learning to walk.

6 Azúcar April 1, 2009 at 11:09 am

Haba toys makes really great walkers. I love their stuff.

In fact, keep poking around the Oompa Toys site, you’re guaranteed to find something your child can’t live without.

7 Whitney April 1, 2009 at 11:22 am

I love the IKEA one. I need to go back and get it!

8 Katie @ goodLife {eats} April 1, 2009 at 1:01 pm

We have the Radio Flyer and LOVE it!

9 Miggy April 1, 2009 at 1:02 pm

The ikea one…super cheap and totally holds up.

10 Anne April 1, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I wasn’t going to buy a walker, but my little boy started pushing his little wooden rocking chair around. It works. It glides pretty easily across our wooden floors.

11 Taddy April 1, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Melissa & Doug Chomp and Clack Alligator is adorable!!

12 liz stanley April 1, 2009 at 2:09 pm

we have the wooden ikea one as well. love it!

13 tawnya April 1, 2009 at 2:13 pm

IKEA! I (whatever number) Ikea. So simple.

14 joolee April 1, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Ditto on the IKEA toddle wagon – my son loves it and you can adjust the speed/friction of the wheels as they get older and can walk faster.

15 Elizabeth April 1, 2009 at 6:37 pm

We had the radio flyer wagon and loved it and our son (now 2 and doesn’t need a walker anymore) still loves it, especially to “carry” things around outside. He also likes riding in it. It has a nice bumper on the front that helps minimize dents and scratches to baseboards and furniture, but, it is heavy, and it will get crashed into stuff. . .still, we love it. Good luck!

16 Sandi April 1, 2009 at 7:53 pm

We bought our granddaughter the Radio Flyer walker, she is 10 months old and had just started taking steps with it!

17 Katy April 2, 2009 at 7:53 am

Here’s one that your baby can use even when they get older:

18 laura April 2, 2009 at 10:39 am

We used this Melissa & Doug alligator push toy (which makes a cute – wooden – noise!) http://www.amazon.com/Chomp-and-Clack-Alligator-Walker/dp/B001FRQ99S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1238686634&sr=1-2

I thought it was really cute and not plastic!

19 Erielle April 2, 2009 at 2:42 pm

My daughter really enjoys the walker by Plan Toys. It also holds blocks, and it’s adorable.

20 Liz April 3, 2009 at 9:20 pm

After 3 kids and 3 walkers, the best we found ( and she loved) was the Melissa and Doug Click Clack Crock. Well, that is what we called it but I think it is an alligator. I have passed it along and it is on it’s 4th baby and still going strong!

21 Leslie April 27, 2010 at 8:35 pm

We LOVE our IKEA Ekorre walker and so does little Nora. Check it out: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40060836