Ask Design Mom Week: Crib Bedding Pattern

April 1, 2009

Question:
Hi Gabrielle.
I am having baby #3. My mom has volunteered to make the baby bedding for me… HOORAY! She is a wonderful seamstress, but has never tackled crib bedding. We could probably make up a pattern, but just to be 100% on the safe side, I would love to find a good sewing pattern to use as a guide. Any ideas where I could find a good pattern to follow? Or any seamstresses out there want to share their own with me?? Thanks so much! — Jacci

Answer:
Preparing for a new baby is delightful, Jacci. Congratulations! I’m going to leave this answer to the sewing experts that might be reading. Dear Readers — especially you expert seamstresses — will you please direct Jacci to your favorite baby bedding sewing patterns?

Bedding pictured from Inspired. Also. Did you know you could win a $300 shopping spree from Peek? Find out how here.

1 Haydee April 1, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Amy butler’s last book little stitches has some great patterns. You might be tempted to make them all.

2 Jennifer Cantrell April 1, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Simplicity patterns has some nice ones that you could try. Look here

3 Morph This April 1, 2009 at 12:26 pm

congrats! i am currently working on some baby bedding of my own.. baby number 2.

i found a company that sells the inserts for a crib bumper. along with that comes patterns for a sheet, the bumper, and a skirt. she also includes a zipper long enough for the bottom of the bumper.. this way you can take it off and wash it. i have LOVED working with it.

the website is http://www.makeroomforbabykit.com

good luck!

4 1mom April 1, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Inspired Crib Bedding also offer fabric
by the yard

I love their geometric modern patterns :)

5 bethany April 1, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I was going to say the same this as Haydee-the Little Stiches pattern for baby bedding is very modern and cute–it’s easy to follow too!!

6 Allie April 1, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Yep, I was also going to say Amy Butler’s book. She calls for the Fairfield Nu-foam bumper pad stuffing which is really nice.

7 Melissa McCulloch April 1, 2009 at 9:58 pm

For baby #1, I bought a pc of foam long enough to fit the inside of the crib and 10″ high. I wrapped the foam in batting and made a cover with an opening on the bottom that snapped closed (a zipper would have been better). For baby #2, I bought a plain crib bumper from Ikea (very cheap) and made a cover that is basically a very long pillow case. Don’t forget the ties. For both bumper covers I added large rick rack to the top which I think looks cute and was quite easy. Wish I could figure out how to attach a picture of the bumper but I am more savvy with a sewing machine than with a computer!

8 Katy April 2, 2009 at 7:48 am

No matter which pattern you use, make sure you do some quilting on the bumper after the batting is inserted to make sure it doesn’t end up in a giant ball the first time you wash it (the more the better). I would also suggest using natural batting since your little baby’s face is going to be right next to it for long stretches.

9 laura April 2, 2009 at 10:36 am

I used a basic simplicity pattern when I did my twin's nursery. It was super simple. The only issue I had was lining up the bumper ties to align with the layout of the spindles & corners on my crib (the layout they had was a little different. Super easy.

10 Janan April 2, 2009 at 11:39 am

pattern, shmattern. Put you mattress on the ground. Make sure your material fits over it and drags on the floor a bit (you’ll want to sheet to tuck underneath) cut into the corners. buy about 6+ inches of elastic for each corner. Hem around whole outside. fold corners and stitch. add elastic. viola. Mattresses are so different, deeper, round corner etc… THis way your sheets will really! fit.

11 heather April 2, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I am not familiar with patterns for crib bedding, but if you are looking for fabric, my favorite place to look is http://jcarolinecreative.com/
They have thousands of amazing fabrics to search through. Good Luck!

12 Dana April 2, 2009 at 4:40 pm
13 Marylin April 2, 2009 at 11:52 pm

When I made my son’s bedding (he is #3) I used a Simplicity pattern but also did somethings different and it worked out well!! The best part about Simplicity is they are as their name says, simple, and not too expensive!! The other thing you can do is do part of it handmade and then buy some of the trickier pieces separately!! Just an idea!!

14 Cate April 6, 2009 at 12:25 pm

i third the amy butler! and, i would look into some delicious organic cotton:

just for a couple of sources. congrats!

15 fav.or.it April 14, 2009 at 1:30 am

Wow, what a lucky you have a great mum. Nice!.
Umm..I am not familiar with sewing patterns crib bedding, but I saw nice sites about it here : http://www.ababy.com/itempage.asp?CategoryID=26&tra=42&itemno=4771&AID=10274047&PID=2685702 and this one http://www.bobbyberkhome.com/product/baby-bedding/9862/dwellstudio-gio-lemon-baby-crib-bedding.html hope useful.

sent from: fav.or.it

16 Alainna February 13, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I know this is really late, but this is a great resource for a lot of amazing baby projects: http://sew4home.com/projects/pillows-cushions/356-stylish-baby-nursery-crib-bumpers

17 Briana January 30, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I just came from that site. They have everything I’m needing to make another bedding set, except for the comforter.I was really just looking for an average size and can figure out the rest. I will just have to remember to measure when my “babies” are awake to measure theirs. I contemplated trying to borrow them while they were sleeping and hope they don’t notice.

18 Sharon August 2, 2010 at 2:36 pm

A few great patterns would be: McCalls 5285 (even includes wall motif); McCalls 4855 (includes diaper dispenser as well as rocker and ottoman cushions) and McCalls4328 (includes memory board and basket liner). Good luck to everyone!

19 Cristin January 3, 2012 at 7:50 am

I am planning on just using the bumper from my daughters set and recovering it. This worked perfectly for the bassinet bedding, and I will be tracing the rest of the old bedding for a pattern.

20 Tesha March 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I actually have a sewing pattern that I sell on Etsy. It is for crib bumpers, fitted sheet, and crib skirt. Check it out and see if you think this is what you are looking for. You can always e-mail me if you have any further questions.

21 Tesha March 23, 2012 at 4:24 pm

It might help if I leave the address :-)