Ask Design Mom: Swingset Commemoration

April 3, 2009

Question:
Hi! For my four year-old son’s birthday (it was today!), we asked our parents and siblings to donate $ to a swingset for our home. I would love to have a sign or something near the swingset that would mark the occasion and who the gift was from. Any ideas? — Misha

Answer:

Happy Birthday to your son, Misha! I think creating something to mark the gift is so smart. My instinct is to go for a classic plaque — the kind you would see on a park bench or beneath a special tree. Head straight to your local trophy shop and tell them what you’re looking for. They’ll be able to suggest the best options — possibly something that could be attached directly to the swingset. How would you commemorate this gift, Dear Readers?

Swingset image here. Win a $300 shopping spree from Peek? Find out how here.

1 resa troyer April 3, 2009 at 5:19 pm

what if you (or they) wrote their names on the swing set somewhere?

or one of those make your own cement markers that are intended for a garden- you could write their names in that and put it next to the swing set. even have your son help with the creation.

2 Kristen M. April 3, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Make a special stepping stone (purchase a kit from the local craft store) to “plant” next to the swing set.

3 Jenelle April 3, 2009 at 8:30 pm

That is such a sweet idea to put up a plaque. It’ll remind you of the kindness of your friends and family every time your son used the swing set!

If your backyard has a garden you could stick with a garden-type theme and put up a wooden sign on a wooden post.

Jenelle

4 Anonymous April 4, 2009 at 9:16 am

Thoughtful idea.

Can the trophy shop make engraved name-plate style plaques to attach to the back of the swings?

If it’s a wooden set, you could screw a plaque into one of the beams.

5 wide open spaces April 4, 2009 at 9:01 pm

if you knew someone artistic they could paint one of the swing-set posts with a little message and all the names. if could be very cute & make the swingset "one of a kind"

6 brooke April 4, 2009 at 10:10 pm

It would be great if you could somehow get a picture with everyone that participated posing on the swingset and put that on a plaque. If not, I think that a garden stone is a great idea.

7 The Venturas April 6, 2009 at 3:05 am

I love all the plaque ideas. When I got my first swing set it was also a group gift. We all put it together (although at 3 I’m sure I was not too much help other than excited encouragement).
Yes, my point…
I have a treasured photo of the family sitting on the swing set after it was put together-my Granny, aunts, uncles, cousins, Mom and Dad, and Me. I love that photo. I can feel myself there.
So make a plaque. Then Take a picture (;

8 LPursley April 6, 2009 at 7:03 pm

It would be cute to make a personalized park sign for your son…”Jake’s Park” and underneath it write, “Lovingly created by….” you could attach it to a bench near the swingset or have it on a post next to it. You could personalize it like the ones at nature parks and list the native animals that your son might find in your backyard.

9 bluehydrangea April 7, 2009 at 5:46 pm

What about an outdoor flag? It would be a little different than a plaque but could have a fun pirate feel to it.