Some News

March 30, 2009

We are moving. Across the country. The wide, vast country. And I can barely wrap my head around that fact.

When. Where. Why:
We’re moving on April 30th. Give or take a couple of days. We’re moving to Colorado. To the Denver/Boulder metro area. We’re moving because… Well frankly, it’s because New York is an expensive place to live and we need to buckle down and save some money.

Full disclosure:
I’m certain I’ll be excited at some point — Colorado is amazing and I know my family will thrive there. But right now, I’m still in the mourning/grieving stage. Despairing to leave our New York home of 8 years. We’ve had 3 babies here. Made dear friends. Grown a few businesses. Earned a PhD. Attempted to take advantage of every good thing the city has to offer…

Moving is hard. Physically. Emotionally. Even when it’s the right move, the right thing to do, it’s still hard. If you have a minute, I could use a little encouragement. A little bravery in my corner. A reminder that I’ll make new friends. That at some point, I’ll be unpacked in a pretty house. That there will be wonderful not-New-York adventures for our little family still to come.

If you have a favorite thing about Colorado, please share — because as soon as I can get past these moving blues, I’m going to want to be totally psyched to make our new home.

photo credit

1 Janssen March 30, 2009 at 10:48 am

We’re moving from Texas to Boston this fall and I go back and forth between excitement and terror.

It’s a nice safety net to have the church, though, and that makes me worry less.

2 Girlfrog March 30, 2009 at 10:49 am

Wow! How exciting it will be! My in-laws live in Colorado Springs and there are literally millions of things to do. It’s a fabulous place for a family to live! We made a very difficult move several years ago and now I think of it as such a great adventure and wonderful place to live. I bet the same will happen for you.

3 Naomi March 30, 2009 at 10:51 am

Mountains!

If you need to stop around Wichita, look me up…

4 Jeanette Mc. March 30, 2009 at 10:51 am

You will LOVE Colorado. Everyone I know who lives there does. Friends have gone and not come back (I live in Phoenix). The outdoor adventure possibilities are endless. Unlike New York, you never hear people say “I HAVE to get out of this city”. The skiing is great. Vacations to Disneyland, Vegas and Hawaii are so much closer. So, not only will you and your family LOVE Colorado, Colorado will love you!

5 Chere Amie March 30, 2009 at 10:51 am

BIG news! I think it’s wonderfully exciting … a new adventure and you’ll certainly get to enjoy the great outdoors more. I wish you nothing but happiness, excitement and luck! xo

6 Kelli March 30, 2009 at 10:53 am

Moving is hard! But, on the up side you are moving to Colorado, yyiippee!! I grew up in Colorado and it’s a wonderful place!

Some of my favorite things about Colorado are, the early fall weather, nothing is better! There are a million and one things to do outside! The Denver Zoo and Natural History Museum are great for kids. Fresh produce, need I say more?! Lack of humidity, “it’s a dry heat” :)

You’ll find your own wonderful things about Colorado. It is a great place and, after the shock of moving wears off I’m sure you’ll see that.

Good luck with moving!!

7 j March 30, 2009 at 10:53 am

You will love Colorado.
The Denver/Boulder area is fantastic! New York–no, but nothing will ever compare to that. It is a beautiful, clean, artsy fun place to be. (We are now taking our turn on the East coast, but spent 10 years in Denver.) The church is strong and diverse in those areas. Promise, you will definitely grow to love it. Good luck with everything.

8 BERRETTS March 30, 2009 at 10:54 am

I’m in the NYC area right now and I enjoy it. BUT. Our ultimate destination is currently leaning the Colorado Boulder way.
I’ve never lived there, but I LOVE IT! It’s so beautiful! It has a history so different from the East and so fun.
I recommend heading to Silver City and Euray (sp?) for a fun little trip. It really takes you back to the “old west”

9 alli b March 30, 2009 at 10:55 am

Well, not to speak for others, but I know of a couple of blogger folk who will be thrilled of this news. and I hope that I will get to meet you, now sooner than later.

I agree, moving is exhausting – maybe more emotionally than physically, even. I admit I still miss home {the South} from time to time.

You are really going to love it here. The wide open spaces, the 300 days of sunshine, the outdoor activities for every season. It is action-packed here, just in a different way than NY.

10 Sheri March 30, 2009 at 10:58 am

We lived in Denver last summer for an internship and loved it. It’s definitely different from NYC, but in a good way. There is still plenty to do and TONS of outdoor stuff close by. I’ve lived in many different states and have come to the conclusion that they all have their pros and cons…most of all, if you stay positive you’ll be happy. Good luck!!!!

11 Brenna March 30, 2009 at 10:58 am

Colorado native here, and I love it to bits. Your family is coming at the perfect time of year to embrace the outdoor adventures you can acquire here. I am about 50 or so miles south of Denver, and there is a lot to do in the area you are relocating to that will surely make you feel like home before long. I will miss your NY perspective, but look forward to CO updates. Lovely Colorado will grow on you so quickly, you’ll wonder why you didn’t come here sooner. :) Best to you as you make this huge move!!

12 Design Mom March 30, 2009 at 10:59 am

Thank you, you dear fellow bloggers. I’m feeling more encouraged already. 300 days of sunshine? Sounds good to me.

13 becky March 30, 2009 at 10:59 am

I know EXACTLY how you feel! We’re prepping for an epic cross-country move from our beloved Washington, D.C. to Salt Lake City! And we don’t even have family there!!!!!!

Hang in there! You’ll be pleasantly surprised. You’ll love the vibe and availability of activities in Denver/Boulder. I grew up near Vail and you’ll love being close to the mountains.

You can do it! Just think — it’s like that feeling you get when you hike to the top of the mountain — dead tired, but with a new perspective and view. Enjoy the view!

14 MsAmanda March 30, 2009 at 11:01 am

There’s so much to do and so many interesting people to meet. Denver is a place of transplants, all with back stories and fun things to teach you and your family.

From a kid perspective, moving around as a child made me more adaptable with wider view of the world. I’ve lived in MT, NY, NH, MA (for my formative years), MN and IA (where I live now.)

You learn how to pick up and make new friends and you learn to rely on yourself. You learn how to bloom where you are planted.

15 Starr March 30, 2009 at 11:02 am

Boulder!?! That's awesome. I, too, miss the Wonderland that is NYC, but we left the East Coast after two babies & a Ph.D. & we've never regretted it.

Boulder is another amazingly creative place to be.

16 KimB March 30, 2009 at 11:02 am

I grew up in Colorado and I love it! You are going to love living there and all it has to offer. While it is not New York like, there are many adventures that await you. Your kids will love it there too. I now live in Utah and love to go and visit my parents who still live there (in the Littleton area, South of Denver)whenever I get a chance.

17 Haydee March 30, 2009 at 11:03 am

I grew up in NY so of course I love it–but Colorado is seriously the most beautiful place I’ve ever been. EVER!
I absolutely love it there. And I always hear really smart people live there for some reason.

I think it’s the best place in the west coast without being in beautiful but overpriced California, too hot Arizona, or Utah (which i also love–but is innundated with Phd’s making it almost impossible to find a good job) Colorado is the best, seriously.

P.S. I realize there are more states in the west coast..those are just the ones I ever factor in as possibilities.

18 That's Ms. Amy to You... March 30, 2009 at 11:06 am

Colorado will be fantastic for your family. Crisp mountain air, stunning vistas, a plethora of outdoor activity, and lower home prices will all be a benefit to your brood. And if nothing else, it could be worse: We’re moving to the Detroit area this summer (our 3rd move in 4 years), and I am utterly freaked out. It should be for just 2 years, but still….I empathize with your feelings. Moving is hard no matter where you are going. Best of luck to you.

19 ANNE March 30, 2009 at 11:07 am

So did Ben Blair get a new job?

Boulder is really awesome. You will love it. And, of course, the internet will keep you connected wherever you go.

20 Lauren March 30, 2009 at 11:07 am

Oh, Mama! I wish my husband and I could be there to help you pack/move. I’m super-packer, and he’s pretty much the fastest mover ever (we have LOTS of experience).

You’re going to do just great, Gabrielle. You have such a fantastic attitude and work ethic. I know you all will thrive there.

Sending you lots of energy and courage,

Lauren

21 Whitney March 30, 2009 at 11:08 am

Somebody told me this trick: write a list of all the things you love and will miss about NYC, then look back after living in CO for a year and see how you’ve found things to make up for your “losses.” You’re going to apply all your finding skills to turn CO upside down and discover the best it has to offer. I just know it!

22 blair p. dubak March 30, 2009 at 11:08 am

long time reader, first time comment maker…you will LOVE the Denver/Boulder move. I’m certain of this because my sister and her fiance did the exact same thing this time last year (from the Upper East Side NYC to Cheeseman Park Denver) and now they wouldn’t dream of being anywhere else. Incredible dining, shopping, hiking, skiing, art, and the cutest little bungalows on every corner…you name it, they’ve got it…and all for a quarter of the price! In fact, they’ve decided to have their wedding there this fall they love it so much. Good luck with the move, looking forward to your posts from the wild, wild west!

23 Kate Coveny Hood March 30, 2009 at 11:09 am

While I can imagine how hard it will be to leave a wonderful home with such firmly implanted roots (at least 8 years’ worth), I also know that your little family will find friends and fun anywhere you go.

New York will be a hard place to leave – it’s such an exciting city. But CO has so much to offer. I have good friends who just moved back to the East Coast from Denver last year, and they felt much the same way you do now.

I’ll get her to give me a list of places to go, things to do so you can add that to everything you have to look forward to.

And not to state the obvious – but you’ll always have friends online if you’re ever feeling a little homesick for NYC.

24 Whitney Hannah Hill March 30, 2009 at 11:10 am

How exciting! Congrats to your family. I have visited there many times and it’s beautiful. I’m sure you’ll love it. Moving across the country (from Indiana to So. Cal) was one of the best decisions my husband and I ever made – it’s so fun starting fresh. Good luck!

25 MrsEm March 30, 2009 at 11:11 am

What an adventure! Will you go for the full opposite and have a little farm, Green Acres style?

Colorado is amazing and lovely. Once you get settled, go for a day hike in Rocky Mountain National park and see the elk. We also loved passing through Steamboat Springs and Paonia on our honeymoon.

26 Meghan March 30, 2009 at 11:13 am

i so heart colorado (very biased post from a native). the mountains are beautiful and you’ll get to take full advantage from your location. skiing, hiking…the sunset on the flatirons is breathtaking. my favorite place in all of colorado is the telluride area. but there are so many hidden gems and tiny towns…there is so much to explore. colorado is such an active, healthy place. i’ve heard it has more sunshine days than florida. you will experience all 4 seasons and sometimes more than one season in the same week (last week we had 70 degrees and then a snowstorm). both boulder and denver have all the amenities you could want…but in no way comparable to NYC! major sports teams. museums, parks, the zoo. i have lived here my whole life and i’m still exploring…hope you love it!

27 Jenny March 30, 2009 at 11:15 am

So exciting! Congratulations!

We’re getting ready to move about that same time – Boston to Delaware – and I’m entering into that “Oh my gosh we have so much to do” phase. I’m sure you can relate.

Moving is a total cleansing. There are lots of hard things, but also some really GREAT aspects. A new chapter! A new adventure! It will be great experience in Colorado for you and your family, I’m sure.

28 Whitney March 30, 2009 at 11:17 am

Moving is hard. I’ve done it four times (not cross country) and it just is. Some friends are doing this too (moving from VA to CA) because there isn’t any jobs for him.

But you’re taking what’s important: your family. They’re your treasures. And they’ll thrive. And you’ll be happy, because they’re with you. It won’t be easy sometimes, but you’ll have a home that you’ll adjust your belongings to. And you’ll love it differently, but the same.

29 wide open spaces March 30, 2009 at 11:18 am

Oh Gabrielle!

such a sweet, honest post. Wish I was nearby & could help you pack & buy you chocolate. okay – I love new yOrk, so I can totally understand why you are grieving. It is an amazing city but…I always say to my husband – I wish we would have lived in NYC before we had kids. I never say, I wish we could live in NYC right now. Why? As much as the city has to offer to children, I would much rather raise my kids in Colorado. Kids need lots of grass and trees and streams and rivers. They need lots of room to run & explore. Yes, beyond even what Central Park can offer. I think thi sis the start of an exciting new life for both you & your kids. One that has less material glitz but lots of natural beauty. A good trade, I think.

xoxo

Emily

30 emily March 30, 2009 at 11:20 am

You’re going to love it! Colorado is stunningly beautiful. The green, mountainous skyline is different from New York’s but so beautiful. There is amazing shopping and eating, too. You’re going to really love it there.

31 mary j. March 30, 2009 at 11:20 am

I love Colorado! Moving is ALWAYS hard, especially when you so adore the place you’re leaving. Your new destination will not compare to NYC in many ways – but you will do best not trying to compare! Because Denver/Boulder has so much to offer, too – in ways that NYC can’t compare! You WILL find new and exciting things to love. Your family will have such adventures. You will have access to the outdoors like never before – and oh, the mountains, the proximity to so much stunning beauty. It *is* still a booming metro area with art and culture, and a whole new culture to learn. You WILL find new friends, build a new community, put down new roots. Remember that you will!

32 Anonymous March 30, 2009 at 11:20 am

You should visit the Denver Performing Arts Center. Amazing shows come to tour there but their own troupe is just as great. The Denver Zoo is a great place to visit too. Both my husband and I are from there and still have family there. Great schools everywhere for your kids, you’ll find plenty of things to do and to love.

33 Sarah March 30, 2009 at 11:21 am

I would suggest simply taking an hour or two and learning about the area (if you don’t know much about it already) and find 10 (15, 25, however many) things that you want to do once you’re there–museums to visit, parks to discover, hikes you might want to try, etc. That can help getting over the “homesick” feeling of being in a new place AND help it feel like home more quickly because you’ll get to know your way around.

34 e.bane March 30, 2009 at 11:22 am

It is tough, no way around that. But, you get to decorate again-a fresh, clean slate. Same with the kids and you/your husband, making friends will be fresh and new. And, you can find new favorite places to eat, to shop, to play, to find adventure. Great luck.

35 Sarah March 30, 2009 at 11:22 am

We lived in Boulder, CO while my husband did an internship a few summers ago and we loved it! I think Colorado is so beautiful! There are fabulous things to do–especially if you like doing things outdoors. We had a wonderful time hiking and biking on the trails nearby and we did drive down to Canon City to do some white water rafting which was so awesome.

Good luck–I know moving is hard, but there are always new adventures to be had and wonderful new people to meet!

36 Katie March 30, 2009 at 11:25 am

I know that you don’t know me, and I dont know you! But I just wanted to let you know that I am completely jealous that you are moving to Colorado. I lived in Littleton for 6 years and LOVED LOVED LOVED it! It is an amazing place to live. The people are great. So friendly and accepting of everyone. The seasons are amazing – because you have all four in their greatest! You can sled and ski/snowboard in the winter, you can picnic and hike in the mountains in the summer, you will have beautiful spring showers and to die for trees in the fall when their leaves change. The mountains will seriously blow your mind.

And even though I don’t know you personally – I read your blog and you seem to be an exceptional lady! You will DEFINITELY make new friends with all of your craftiness and fun ideas. Keep your chin up, have fun going through your stuff as you box and just remember it is a new adventure! Happy moving :)

37 laura March 30, 2009 at 11:25 am

A friend gave me this quote a while ago and it still helps me so much. I can’t remember who said it, it was one of the quorum of the 12 I think. Hopefully it will help you too:
“All the strength you will ever need is within you now. It was put there by your Creator who knew very well what you would face in this life and made you equal to it.”

Moving is tough but it is also exciting. It will feel like home in no time. :-)

38 Alyssa March 30, 2009 at 11:29 am

did a cross country move myself … utah to chicago (whew it was a doozie!) that being said, our family lives in colorado and they tell us the public services (rec centers, parks etc…) are AMAZING!

my moving advice (weve moved 10 times) start now and search out every rubbermaid big bin sale you can find and buy as many as you can (we usually get ours for about $3 or so) … they keep your stuff from getting squished, they are easy to carry, they stack in the truck, you can use duct tape to label them – and are a cinch to store (just stack them up) once you arrive at your new casa. we cannot move without them (we have about 50) and I live and die by this rule now … the less boxes the better!

39 Jessica @ A Bushel and a Peck March 30, 2009 at 11:29 am

Moving is a drag in some ways (packing and unpacking) but SO MUCH FUN in other ways! Redecorating, figuring out whose room is whose, what goes where, finding new adventures and restaurants and cool places to visit…so fun. Its also a great chance to sort through your stuff and decide what you really love and want to keep, and what can go–decluttering at its best! And I know–I moved 7 times in 5 years in the military! Look at the positives, and the negatives melt into the background!

40 Allysha March 30, 2009 at 11:30 am

Gabby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was hard to leave NY after 2, so I’m sure you’ll grieve for a little while longer.

That said. Colorado is beautiful. My grandparents lived there forever, my aunt lives there and my mom absolutely loves the mountains there. It’s a lovely, lovely place with a lot to do. I’m sure you’ll settle in and love it.

Good luck! Let me know if you need anything!

41 MLDB March 30, 2009 at 11:31 am

That is huge news! While I haven’t moved cross country in a few years, here’s what I can say to you. I can tell (just by reading your blog) that you are a friendly, resourceful and wonderful person. I have no doubt that you will be sharing stories about your family’s new adventures and fun new friends in no time. In the meantime, take advantage of moving. I always get to do my best reflecting as I pack..not to mention some really great organizing and purging of stuff!

42 Katie @ goodLife {eats} March 30, 2009 at 11:31 am

Colorado is so beautiful! One place to visit is Steamboat Springs. You won't want to miss the Hot Air Balloon event. Not as spectacular as our's in New Mexico, but kids love hot air balloons. Or? Come down to New Mexico in early Oct. Enjoy our beautiful weather & Balloon Fiesta. It's a much closer drive from CO than NY! Also, check out Mesa Verde in Colorado…it is an incredible site!

This fall hubby starts a distance PhD program at UC Boulder and after the first 2-3 years we will be moving their to finish up the coursework (you can only do so many distance hours).

Want to get a jump on making new friends for yourself and kids? Find the local chapter of MOMS Club (momsclub.org) and join. It's a great starting place when you're new to an area. My chapter always has lots of fun things going on in the spring/summer when the older kids start getting out of school, but it is great for the little ones too.

43 royal March 30, 2009 at 11:33 am

I am always saddened to have to move (and leave behind old friends and memories), but it’s always exciting for new adventures!!
And Colorado is a great place, especially the Denver area. Every time I visit my cousin there, I love to see her little boutique, Wrought’n Apples. It seems like a fun place to start up little businesses like that so I’m sure you’ll find your niche!!

44 Alisha March 30, 2009 at 11:35 am

I grew up close to Colorado in northern New Mexico. The Skiing is great! I know it’s far from Denver but in the summer in Durango, Co (one of the coolest cities I’ve ever been too) the Bar-D Chuckwagon is there. I’ve gone every summer since I was a little girl and it’s such a great thing to go to as a family. The food, the shops and the entertainment is a great. Your girls will love it. You should look into it!

45 Kaila March 30, 2009 at 11:38 am

Two words: The Sabeys.

By the way, I have loved the move Noah and I made to Indiana–I absolutely LOVE exploring new towns and meeting new people. Sure you don’t want to move to Columbus Indiana?

46 Elena Ferrer March 30, 2009 at 11:39 am

We moved (we and our four children) three years ago from a 1 million hab city to a 300 hab little village. It was an old and great goal for our family, but I remember with sadness the last days in the city:… this is the last time I’m buying here, we won’t see these people probabaly anymore… the big news were that when we arrived here ALL the pains were behind and only feel happiness :) Ánimo!
From Spain,
Elena

47 Birdie in DC March 30, 2009 at 11:47 am

wow~ that is a big move. we live in DC but are from the west, and you can’t quite beat the openness of the people and the space in the west. good luck!

48 Ali March 30, 2009 at 11:53 am

I say, skip Colorado and keep driving to Vegas. If your going to move, move big. Just think about all the topics you could write about living here. And our airport is a major hub so you could easily get to all of your conferences. With the housing market as crappy as it is, you’ll get a screaming deal on a fantastic house. And we are really nice…just ask Melissa Nielson. I have a book group that could use one more member!!!!!

49 bec March 30, 2009 at 11:54 am

You’re probably nervous about uprooting your kids and making them the “new kids” at school… but you shouldn’t be. My family (not even for miliatary reasons; my parents were just gypsies, I guess) moved quite a lot growing up- about every 4 years. And some people (esp. those who never moved and lived forever in one neighborhood, aka my husband) are terrified of moving and change, but I LOVE IT! You get to be the kid everyone is dying to meet. You get to leave behind negative aspects of yourself and start again fresh. You get to decorate and figure out a new house (or room, for kids). And you get to experience a whole sleu (sp?) of new experiences that you otherwise would have missed out on. Lastly, your friends you have now are yours “for keeps”… and now you get to meet lots of new ones. Your heart will thank you. :) Good luck with the move. And perk up… it will be great!

50 Design Mom March 30, 2009 at 11:55 am

Such kind words! And so helpful. I am sitting at my desk trying to type, but I keep having to stop and wipe tears. Happy tears for your happy words. Thank you.

51 Anonymous March 30, 2009 at 11:56 am

You will enjoy the beautiful Denver Botanical Garden – a great place to kids to learn and explore!

52 Emily March 30, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Having recently completed a move that I wasn’t fully on board with (from my home of 25 years, Dallas, to the bay area of Northern California) I’ll say this: It’s going to be hard. But it’s going to be awesome. You’ll have elbow room and fresh air and all of those wonderful things the other posters wrote about.

It will also be good for the kids. A bit of upheaval and adjustment never hurt anyone. If anything, it will make them more resilient.

Good luck with the move!

53 Sarah March 30, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Just think season ski passes mountains,mountains MOUNTAINS!

54 The Sweet Line March 30, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Boulder is great! Pearle Street is so much fun with all the cool street performers. The people are so nice. It’s like being on vacation but living there. You will get the mountain curse you will never want to leave. Great schools too. Fireworks in Ned is awesome. Email if I can help with anything!

55 Adriana Velez March 30, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I grew up in Colorado! It’s beautiful there, especially the Boulder area. And sunshine–it’s always sunny in Colorado. Seriously, bring sunscreen and enjoy. I think all that sun will really help you feel good about your new home. And then there’s the hiking, the biking, the skiing, etc. And! Denver is very happening. They have a lively downtown area and lots of super kid-friendly museums. It’ll be great–you’ll love it!

56 Sarah March 30, 2009 at 12:08 pm

This is exciting news! I think that your family is going to thrive in Colorado. The weather is gorgeous and I think the ability to be outdoors so much will be great for your kids. Plus, it’s sunshine almost all the time, but you have the 4 seasons, great skiing nearby, a decent sized city… and you will definitely meet friends! I’m super excited for you!

57 Kristin March 30, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Four years ago we moved from Denver to New Jersey. I love New Jersey and I miss Denver EVERYDAY! You and your family will LOVE it there. They have wonderful bike trails that go from the city way into the mountains and back. The mountains are just perfect. Congrats!!

58 LoGunns March 30, 2009 at 12:11 pm

John Denver sure does make Colorado sound great. I loved living in Colorado. And you will be closer to family out here so you will be able to visit more. Which means we might get to see you too:)

59 Amy March 30, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I'm from the Denver area (Centennial, south of Denver) and absolutely LOVE it! I'm living in Utah now but my husband & I are planning on moving back by the end of the year. Moving is hard, absolutely, but Colorado is gorgeous, full of culture and a clean, safe enviornment for families (depending on the area ofcourse). I'm jealous, you'll love it!

60 Cafe Johnsonia March 30, 2009 at 12:25 pm

The weather.
The mountains.
The weather. (Wait, I already said that.)

Are you sure you don’t want to move a wee bit further west, like to my neighborhood? :)

It will be great.

61 Jackie March 30, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I moved to Denver/Boulder area from Chicago 4 years ago and haven’t looked back once. It’s an awesomely laid back atmosphere, the people are friendly, and it’s a great place to raise a family. As a fellow art director/designer, the design community is small but active and vibrant! Welcome to Colorado!

62 Rachael March 30, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I read a fun fact about Colorado the other day–it has the lowest obesity rate in the country, apparently due to the fact that the people living there have access to so many healthful activities.

Our family always makes it a point to stop in Colorado as we’re driving cross-country to see family in Utah, as Rocky Mtn. National Park is just about our kids’ favorite place in the world. Really, it’s fantastic. Boulder, CO Springs, or Denver are all on our shortlist of places we’d like to live when this Ph.D. finally wraps up.

63 Paulson Family March 30, 2009 at 12:38 pm

You will love it here in Colorado! We moved here in 5 years ago this April from Los Angeles. You are moving at the perfect time to enjoy the great weather.

64 Adventures In Babywearing March 30, 2009 at 12:39 pm

How exciting! I have family in Longmont- maybe I can sneak in a visit with you next time I am there!

Steph

65 Jessica L. March 30, 2009 at 12:41 pm

wow! That is major news, and a major move. I lived in CO for two years, and it is beautiful. The view of the mountains from Denver really is so pretty. Illegal Pete’s is my all-time favorite burrito place (locations in both Denver and Boulder), and Sonoda’s for sushi is a must (not much of a “scene” but the food is great). You’ll have a lot of fun making the rounds for skiing, snow shoeing, etc, and really, you won’t even believe the pace compared to NY! So much more laid back! For side trips, make sure you drive up Mt. Evans, and do take a trip south to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Best of luck, and don’t worry!!

66 Meg March 30, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Im so excited you’re moving to the Denver area!!! You have no idea! Me and my soon to be husband are moving there in June for graduate school for at lease two years!!!!!!!!! I’ve never read anyone’s blog that lived in the same place as me! It will be exciting to see how someone else is discovering the same city as me!! YAY!

67 Sandi March 30, 2009 at 12:44 pm

When we moved 13 yrs ago, our kids were 8 and 12. I expected our shy 12 yr to wither and our rambuncious 8 yr to thrive, the opposite happened. We all look back on it as a wonderful sabbatical time for out family to bond.

Boulder is an all time favorite place of our family. By the season family pass for skiing.

68 Aimee Greeblemonkey March 30, 2009 at 12:45 pm

My favorite thing about Colorado????

MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUUUUU AND MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Your kids and my kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your man and my man!!!!!!!!!

But mostly YOOUUUUU AND MEEEEEEEEE!

69 Ginger March 30, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Gasp! Oh! YOU.WILL.LOVE.IT! I’m from Wyoming. Denver was our getaway. Here’s a couple things you’ll love about Colorado.

1. All the limit-less outdoors stuff!
2. The Colorado Rockies. If you need a baseball team to love-these are the guys. Give up those overpayed Yankees right now!
3. We were married in the Denver Temple. It’s perfect. It’s in the southern part of Denver, so it may take you about an hour of city driving to get there. Unless you go around on C-470.
4. The front range-The mountains. The Rocky Mountains. Simply beautiful.

You will absolutely LOVE IT!

70 JennyW March 30, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Oh wow—that’s a big move! I’m sure Colorado will be fun and exciting; wishing you some extra clarity and serenity over the next few weeks!

71 Aimee Greeblemonkey March 30, 2009 at 12:50 pm

P.S. Ginger is right about the Rockies. Those dudes are great guys. And I don’t even like baseball.

And P.S. – get psyched:

72 jenB March 30, 2009 at 12:51 pm

My favourite things are Aimee and Gwen, otherwise I have never been. Congratulations! I understand the stress of a huge move and wish you all the best. I have no doubt you will do fantastic.

xo

73 Mamma March 30, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Oh the moving! But oh the amazing people out there.

Sending you good thoughts for your transition.

xoxo

74 Katie March 30, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I LOVE Colorado and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s sunny ALL the time…more days than Miami.

The mountains are so fabulous and the majority of people are really active and healthy. Being green is UBER important. There are so AMAZING historic and beautiful neighborhoods around here.

You’ll love it.

75 Amy March 30, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I grew up in Denver and my fondest memories involve our drives up in the mountains each fall for long hikes and to watch the aspen colors change. Stunning.

Moving is tough but you’ll find your spots and connections and soon be making Colorado memories. Just takes a bit of time before it feels like home. I recommend some John Denver for the drive out.

76 Jamie March 30, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I was in Denver for the first time last week. I stopped at a corner with my friends trying to decide which direction to go to find a place to eat. A guy on the street stopped to ask if we were lost or needed help. We were momentarily shocked (full-disclosure we spend most of our time outside of the US) but when I mentioned we were looking for some place to eat, he was quick with a great recommendation and directions.

Every place we went in Denver last week we were greeted by friendly people and the service was amazing.

Good luck – I hope you find the people there as friendly and helpful as we did.

77 liz stanley March 30, 2009 at 1:01 pm

what’s more exciting than being close to your your family? we’re so excited you’re coming out west.
hope you’ll let us come down and help you move in/decorate. xoxo

78 Katie March 30, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Oh, I just have to comment twice to let you know just how excited I am for you to move out here!

It’s the best.

If you need extra hands unpacking, drop me an email!

katie(dot)cardon(at)gmail(dot)com

79 Chloe March 30, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I feel your pain. We moved from NYC after 6 1/2 years to Northern California nearly 5 years ago…and the first 3 years were TOUGH. I missed NY desperately. But in the course of these nearly 5 years I have fallen in LOVE with my new “homeland”. The weather, the people, the pace, my house, my new friends. Just think – you’re going to meet people and make friends with those you would have never otherwise met! How exciting. And knowing you, you will create a beautiful home wherever you land.

Keep your chin up – it’s going to be a great experience. We’re all going to want to hear about it!

80 Paula, Reston, VA March 30, 2009 at 1:05 pm

One major thing to love about Denver: The Tattered Cover. One of the best bookstores in the whole wide world.

The mountains are amazing there, and there are good museums, too.

Plus, you can visit all the other cool Western cities with relative ease: Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, and so forth.

81 megnjon March 30, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I grew up in New England; Central New York and Western Massachusetts. I loved it and ended up coming to school in Utah, married after graduating and still live here. While my heart has a soft spot for the East Coast the very best thing about the West is the amazing range of outdoor activities available. Skiing, cycling, huge mountains, and vast plains. I moved quite a bit as a child and HATED it, but I’ve come to realize that I only hated it because I grew to love each new area as my home!

82 kim & co. March 30, 2009 at 1:08 pm

My mom lives in Denver and we love the natural history museum there. One of the best I’ve been to (of course, I’ve never been to NY).

83 troutdalites March 30, 2009 at 1:12 pm

understand the moving blues…we are moving from the Pacific Northwest to China this summer. I have to figure out what to do with everything in my house…and my house! I’m excited, up for the adventure, but will also miss family and friends, clean air, dryers, and being able to speak to anyone I want…at least at first. Off to do more sorting!

p.s. I love Colorado, and having lived in California, Oregon, Utah would live in CO in a minute. Best to your fam!

84 Jackie March 30, 2009 at 1:14 pm

What lovely friends you will make, and all that room for your family to grow in.

The perfect time to do some spring cleaning?

This will be wonderful!

85 Sarah March 30, 2009 at 1:19 pm

New York….if you can make it there, you’ll make it anywhere…. like Colorado!!! Congratulations and I’m sure it will be a great move for your family.

86 jora March 30, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I love the air and the mountains in CO. It seems like a really healthy place for kids. Plus….you will now be smack-dab in the middle of the country which makes visiting your extended family and friends so much easier!

87 eleanor March 30, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I lived in Boulder for 5 years (had one of my kids there). You will love it. Funny enough, I moved because it was too expensive. I am still in Colorado and find time to go back and visit friends and wonderful resources a few times a year. The schools are great and you will love the wonderful outdoors of the state. Downtown Denver is a blast too. Excited for you.

88 kh March 30, 2009 at 1:31 pm

You’ll love the Denver/Boulder area, especially Boulder. Try finding a place in Louisville or Lafayette. I’m particularly fond of Louisville–cute, great little paths, not to fancy. Great wards. Cool people. And a great radio station (kbco).

89 Nicole Dominic-Pelletier March 30, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Colorado is a great place to raise a family. We live in Denver with our 3 month old & there really is always something fun to do with kids all year around. This is a very family orientated place with a great network of moms who'd be happy to welcome you with open arms. I'm actually in the process of putting together a blog for moms here in Colorado perhaps once you get settled you'd be interested in doing a little blogging on the perspective of a new Colorado mom.

90 Jen I March 30, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Gasp! I can’t believe it! I really can’t imagine NY without you. I’ll be honest, I STILL miss New York terribly and I don’t think I was there as long as you. BUT. I have made amazing friends in Miami. Surprisingly so. And you seem (to everyone else, at least), to be so on top of the world and on top of your game, a new challenge is probably in line! :) Best of luck. I abhor moving.

91 Katy March 30, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I’m sad to be leaving Colorado just as you arrive! I’ve been living in Fort Collins for the past four years, but we are relocating to New Mexico this summer. We have loved our time in Colorado — the mountains are just amazing, and so many fun outdoorsy things to do! Fort Collins has been an amazing place to raise kids, and I have heard the same about other cities in the Front Range. Boulder is a lot of fun — a great artsy community, with so much originality. You will love it!

92 Becca March 30, 2009 at 1:44 pm

We just moved to Northern Colorado in December. Not the optimal time to move to a cold northern state, but we love it! Our neighbors are very friendly, our ward has been so welcoming, and we are within driving distance of lots of family. We couldn’t be happier. I know once you get here and settled in you’ll love it too. Good luck with the move!

93 pkb March 30, 2009 at 1:45 pm

two words for you: air quality. imagine – no more city grit! you’re lucky…

94 barkingkel March 30, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Wow, I am jealous. Before I met my husband I was moving to CO too. Now, I live in the arctic, northeast Massachusetts. Denver has a wonderful children’s museum and the winters are much better than ours on the east coast. My sister lives in Evergreen and I visit every chance I get. You will love it and your children will grow in ways that were impossible in NYC. Good luck!

95 Ginna March 30, 2009 at 1:50 pm

the Denver/Boulder area is AWESOME! In a very different way that NYC of course, but I know you’ll love it. My husband grew up there and he loves it. The weather is amazing. The sun shines so much there, the mountains are beautiful and the air is so clear and clean.
You’re brave to do it, we’ve moved a lot in the last few years and I think the thing that’s saved me from utter despair is always knowing I’m going to move into a place with a ward that will adopt us. It makes a big difference when we’re moving far from family.

96 Rachel March 30, 2009 at 1:50 pm

You are moving to my neck of the woods! We moved from Virginia to Colorado just under a year ago. I love the Boulder area (my family is about 1/2 hour East of there). My favorite thing about Colordo is the mountains, mountains, mountains. Plus, right up Boulder canyon there is are great trails and an awesome creek perfect for summer tubing. Good luck.

97 Melinda March 30, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Sooo many people (including me) wish they could live in such an amazing state!!! Congratulations!!And the Denver/Boulder area is teeming with fun stuff for families and adults alike!! My hubby served there and we have taken two vacations there, each time seeing completely different things.

Some of this TX girl’s favorite things about Denver: the closeness to the mountains, the vibrant culture, the fantastic outdoor options/parks, the rail system (fancy for us non-subway people!), the seasons, the weather/lack of humidity, the people.

I can only imagine starting over after 8 years. My heart is with y’all as you head west!!!

98 Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love March 30, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Good luck! You seem like you love NY but I can see your reasons for leaving! I can’t even move out of my zip code!

99 april~living the sweet life March 30, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Best wishes with your move. I lived in Denver-Littleton for a while. It has great people, tons of fun mountain adventures, hot springs,skiing,and a quick refreshing rain almost every afternoon in the summer. It is one of my favorite places.

100 robin k March 30, 2009 at 2:11 pm

1)Boulder is absolutely a beautiful town and a beautiful gateway to the Rockies. 2)Wendy and Rick will be close by. 3)I’ll get to see you more often (I hope) – a plus for me.
Moving is a big deal, especially with a large family! Hope all goes well for the Blairs. Love you.