Ask Design Mom Week: Wallpaper Sources

March 30, 2009

Question:
I have recently moved to Rochester, New York from Texas, and my husband and I bought a home built in 1928. It is a great house with tons of character, and much of it has been renovated. However, there is a small nook going into the basement that still has what I consider “bad” wallpaper, and I think it could look great with some new paper. Could you direct me to any great ideas, options, or websites for wallpaper? Thanks — Laurie.

Answer:

What a perfect time to be searching out wallpaper, Laurie! There’s a full on wallpaper renaissance going on right this minute. There are easily 50 different sites that have great options. But that can be overwhelming, so I’ll start you out at super-current Design Public and in the easy-to-peel-off section at Sherwin Williams (my fave easy peel patterns here). For more of my top wallpaper sources, click here.

Design Mom Readers, where do you buy your wallpaper?

Wallpaper pictured is from Graham & Brown. What’s Ask-Design-Mom-Week? See here. Win big.

1 Molly March 30, 2009 at 2:40 pm

If you don’t find a wallpaper you like, what about using a great fabric (even one you can design yourself) and hanging that?

2 Tracy March 30, 2009 at 2:47 pm

We have been remodeling our 200year home and I have found some great wallpaper at http://www.creativewallcovering.com/wallpaper-specialty.html
I love the fabric idea Molly gave to. You can use fabric just like wallpaper. Dip it in liquid starch and then smooth it on the wall. The best part is you can just peel it off when you are ready for a change!!
I, also, love using brown bags or brown kraft paper on the walls. Check out http://forum.doityourself.com/wallpaper-wallcoverings/288583-wallpapering-w-brown-paper-bags.html Thers is a post by a faux finisher designer on there that gives really clear instructions. The option with this are endless! Have fun!

3 Christy March 30, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Ooh I love this question! I just bought my first wallpaper ever on Candice Olsen’s web site. (She’s from Divine Design – my favorite decorating show ever!) It’s being installed tomorrow and I can’t wait! Love it!

4 Kate The Great March 30, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Oh, gosh. There are so many wallpaper sites and sellers out there. I read Apartment Therapy (apartmenttherapy.com) and they have wallpaper stuff pop up all the time. And they have a good search engine to go through all the content that comes up on the site. It’s a good source site, even if you’re not in an apartment.

5 Bek March 30, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Awesome. We have a 1910 Arts and Crafts home with lots of wood. One of the rooms still has the original windows and paper. I have been wanting to update an area that shares visual space…but didn’t want to research it.

I am so excited to get this project going now…

6 wide open spaces March 30, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I adore all the options over at ferm living:

hope this helps!

7 Zach March 30, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I also live in Rochester NY and if you want to see some great wallpaper in person there is a darling little paper place called the “NOOK” on Main Street in Pittsford (suburb of Rochester) Welcome to Rochester!
I am moving to Denver soon, but would be glad to answer any questions you may have. Emily

8 jomama March 30, 2009 at 6:29 pm

i’ve been having the same problem myself about a couple of odd areas in my home, the entryway and the stairwell. after doing extensive research about wallpaper and places to buy it, i’ve been thinking about stenciling instead. this could be tricky to get right, but i love the design of orla kiely’s stem wallpaper and was thinking i could make a similar stencil and use that instead. it might not look as perfect but it would definitely save big bucks!

9 Sandi March 30, 2009 at 7:00 pm

At our local paint-paper shop Elder’s Paint

10 Mel March 30, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I love wallpaper. I’m so ready and not afraid of the renaissance.

11 pve design March 31, 2009 at 5:50 am

One of my favorite sites for wallpaper is “absolute zero designs” I want to paper every thing, even the inside of my car!

12 Laurie March 31, 2009 at 7:15 am

Thank you for all the great ideas, Design Mom and readers. They are appreciated! Your comments are giving me some much needed motivation right now :)

13 Dawn March 31, 2009 at 11:17 am

I recently purchased some wallpaper from FlavorPaper.com – a wallpaper store based out of New Orleans. They have unique designs; I went with the City Park design that is so much fun. It looks like a brocade type paper until you get up close and see that there are fun little “city icons” woven within the brocade design, such as a hydrant, a street meter, even a rat. Crazy, I know, but it looks beautiful, and I love that element of suprise.

14 Paper + Ink Studio March 31, 2009 at 2:28 pm

FLAVOR PAPER in New Orleans. Besides making some awesome paper, it’s also great to support a New Orleans based business!

15 Laurie April 1, 2009 at 7:48 am

What I would like is the piece of furniture in that wallpaper photo – I always fall in love the the uncredited props!

16 Hailey April 5, 2009 at 12:29 am

Hanna’s Treasures has a great selection of the most beautiful vintage papers. The service is great.

They are a bit pricey (Hanna’s is fair) and require a professional, EXPERIENCED paper hanger. The paper is hand blocked/printed and feels so completely different from what is avail. now. It is art.

17 Home Furnishing uk April 21, 2009 at 1:34 am

Fabric treatment
All fabrics will age and wear during use. Certain fabrics may acquire new characteristics. These should be considered natural e.g.: all textured or piled fabrics may flatten. Pile may distort. This is inevitable. Any fabric may crease. Linen has a particular propensity. Flat weaves may pill or bobble. This list is by no means exhaustive and natural characteristics will occur.

18 Anonymous February 1, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I am looking for a wallpaper manufacturer who will do a small run of my own designs which I am creating for a children's line. Does anyone know who can do this?

Miriam

19 anna August 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I absolutely love the graham wallpaper pictured above – can you tell me the name of it? i looked through the site, but there are so many different ones!! this will be my first attempt at wallpaper at my house and i really want to get it right!

thanks!

20 anna August 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm

nevermind!! i just saw that you do actually have it up there. sorry!

anna

21 Jacqueline Kearney March 6, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Congratulations Laurie on moving to Rochester! I am from there and I can tell you it is a great place to live and raise a family! I live an hour and a half away and I still miss it. I often look on ebay for wallpaper because you never know what you will find. Good luck!

22 Piper March 6, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Great!! You read my mind! I’ve been on the hunt for great wallpaper! Thanks!