Book of the Week: I Like You

February 12, 2009

I think both me and my sister Jordan post about this book every February. It is hard to imagine a better Valentine’s Day book — and I don’t think it even mentions Valentine’s Day at all.

It’s called I Like You. It’s by Sandol Stoddard Warburg. And it’s just the most charming book ever. Kids love it. Grown ups love it. The illustrations are adorable.

My friend Renae Chambers gave me a copy when we were roommates during my freshman year, and it’s been a favorite every since. I tend to misplace my copy from time to time — loan it out, give it as a last minute gift, leave it somewhere — but a new copy always seems to find its way back to me.
My current edition was a gift from my friend Audrey, who took perfect care of my kids while I was in Mexico. Thank you, Audrey!

Buy a copy for your friend. Or your crush. Or your own book collection. Or for anyone that needs some kindness. You will love it.

{ 1 trackback }

Babyccino Kids » I Like You
April 20, 2010 at 12:01 am

1 Queso February 8, 2007 at 11:35 am

I love this book.

2 Abbey Road February 8, 2007 at 12:47 pm

I bought it. I’m excited to give it to my sweetie.

3 Anne February 9, 2007 at 8:54 am

I ordered it too!
I hope it comes before valentine’s day. :)

4 Katherine Center November 9, 2008 at 8:29 am

This is one of my favorite books! I love it! I love, “If I am lost in Grand Central station, you are the one who is looking for me. ‘Where are you?’ ‘Here I am!’”

When I first started dating my husband (that doesn’t sound right, but you know what I mean), I made him an I Like You book! Shooowee, I had a lot more free time back then!

5 BERRETTS February 12, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I’m so glad you chose this book! My older sister and younger sister act this book out for us at every family gathering. I haven’t seen them for a while since I’m on the opposite coast of my family, but it was a great reminder. (and just to clarify, my sisters are 25 and 19 but obviously young at heart).

6 emily February 12, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I LOVE this book. I first saw it at the bookstore in college and bought a copy for my current boyfriend. It was a hit.

7 Sarah February 12, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I love this book as well. I bought it maybe 10 years ago… but I gave it to a friend. I should go buy another copy!!

8 Kacy February 12, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I really love this book too. I need to get it for my kids. We don’t even own it, which is negligence on my part.

9 Team Cowan February 12, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Growing up we had this book on a bookcase in our living room. My dad had given it to my mom when they were dating in college. Their names are Pam and Randy, and I always thought it was so sweet because he changed the name on the little boy’s cast so that together they said Pam and Ran instead of Pam and Dan.

It’s so reassuring as a kid to see evidence that your parents are absolutely in love.

10 wide open spaces February 13, 2009 at 11:11 am

I gave his book to my husband while we were dating. I filled up the pages with little notes and comments about our story. It’s now like a little heirloom.

11 sharla@mylittlegems February 17, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I love this book and I think I own like 5 copies- I bought it about 10 years ago and it was so cute that one just wouldn’t do :)

12 Brittany February 17, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I love this book too! A friend bought it for me a few years back at Anthropologie and I’ve since purchased it for countless friends and family members. :)

13 indy_girl February 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I just saw “I Like You” recently at our bookstore and thought it was darling. It actually reminded me a lot of “A Hole Is To Dig” by Ruth Krauss, one of the earliest books illustrated by Maurice Sendak.

14 Cheryl Carey Bass May 24, 2009 at 3:18 am

This is one of my all-time favorite books! I’ve given it as a gift to so many of my dear friends over the course of my life! I’ve even personalized my own comments throughout the book! Thanks!