Christmas Cards

December 5, 2008

Last night, while chatting with my friend Laura about Christmas cards, I came to a decision. The Blairs are going to rock it old school this year.

No family photo. No essay or family update. Just a beautiful card. Signed with an actual pen. And if I’m up for it, a short, hand-written personal note as well (short as in one sentence or so).

Some years we’re up for something more elaborate. Some years we skip cards altogether. But for those years where time is crunched (like this year) I don’t think there’s any shame in going with classic, tried and true, holiday correspondence. A beautiful card to add a little cheer to someone’s home, and a short note to say hello.

Now. Off to pick up some gorgeous cards. I like these by Lexie Sullivan.

1 R-Eight December 5, 2008 at 2:06 pm

We’re skipping this year. The first time in 8 years I think. I love these cards.

You had a guest blogger a couple of years ago that had examples of some really stunning cards. I coudn’t find it. Do you remember??

2 liz December 5, 2008 at 2:13 pm

yes! I agree. I am skipping my traditional shutterfly and my budget is already thanking me. Walmart at some smart looking argyle ones we scored. I might plug in a nice photo of the boys and get them out before the end of next week.

3 Emily December 5, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I did a photo card, but it’s not a traditional portrait – it’s an image from a photo booth at a friends wedding last year.

Hopefully people will follow your example and I’ll get cards that were actually signed by the sender! I was getting a little tired of Christmas cards being treated like memo’s instead of heartfelt greetings :-)

Love the ones you chose!

4 Alexis December 5, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Would it be horrible if I sent an e-card this year? I want to save trees (and money!)

5 cpeep December 5, 2008 at 3:48 pm

While I loved you Dreams of Flying card from…whenever that was…the ones you showed for this year are so beautiful. Are they real letterpress? I’m a letterpress-er wanna be.

Carol
Extreme Cards and Papercrafting

6 Emily ~ Little Window Shoppe December 6, 2008 at 1:01 am

We are the same way – that time crunch…I was thinking a traditional card with an actual pen was the way to go this year too. I love your picks. It’s the thought, right?
P.S. It was so nice to meet you at Niche in SLC. :)

7 Vanessa December 6, 2008 at 2:56 pm

There was a vendor at the Beehive Bazaar that had beautiful cards like this! I couldnt see the lables on her products and she didn’t have business cards so I didn’t get to catch the name :(

8 Jackie December 8, 2008 at 12:28 am

I love this whole post. Everything is so cool and calm. This is the first year I’m sending out cards – only because I had a baby! But it makes me feel better knowing if I don’t get around to it next year, I’m not the only one!

9 Anonymous December 10, 2008 at 4:45 pm

A fun alternative I did this year was using the site http://www.mirbit.com

It’s totally free and let me upload a pic of my family and then decorate it with festive items and text, and then I was able to print it as a traditional style Christmas card and send to my family and close friends. For people I’m not quite as close with, and for co-workers, I sent it as an eCard (figured I’d help save a few trees).

And if you don’t want to use a family picture, they also have a bunch of pre-made cards that you can choose from and then personalize with your own text, and print or email as an eCard.

I’m very happy with how they turned out–a neat and budget-friendly option!