Isabella Oliver

October 8, 2008

Yesterday I went to a breakfast preview of Isabella Oliver’s Spring 2009 line at the Soho House. It made me want to be pregnant again. For reals. I didn’t discover Isabella Oliver until a few weeks after Betty was born, so I never got the chance to wear the line. But I think the clothes are lovely — all about ruching and wrapping — my two favorite maternity looks.

The Spring line isn’t online yet (luckily there are lots of cozy, fall/winter items like the ones pictured above), but watch for it in the next few months.

1 Anonymous September 4, 2006 at 2:02 pm

Thank you for your lovely comments about Isabella Oliver. I hope you enjoyed the clothes! Greetings from London, Baukjen & Vanessa (from Isabella Oliver)

2 bmommy October 8, 2008 at 3:09 pm

love this. I would totally wear it not pregnant. However, I won`t keep it to myself, I think I pass it along to my friend who is expecting a little one :)

3 Casper, the friendly ghost October 8, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Nice clothes, but not nice enough for me to drop 100 or more dollars on a single shirt. Ouch! Pregnancy is only 9 months long- too short to justify that kind of spending when I have so many other baby items to think about buying. Also, this reminds me of when I used to get Oprah’s magazine about all of the great finds she and her other editors would write about and they were always $400 pairs of shoes and $250 cashmere sweaters. Please. Most of the population can’t afford that kind of spending and frivolity. Can you show us other fashions that are a little more affordable? Thanks for all of your other great ideas. I love your blog.

4 Tori October 8, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I love these clothes!! I wonder though if the models are really pregnant or not, I hate how things always look better on the models pretending to be pregnant…I’d like to see the clothes on REAL pregnant women [if they aren't already real]…

I love your blog, you always find the best stuff!!

5 Design Mom October 8, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Thanks for the comments. I sure do love comments!

Casper, I hear you on the prices. Since I wore my maternity clothes through lots of pregnancies and loaned them out to friends as well, I didn’t mind spending more on a few pieces.

But I also wore lots of maternity clothes from more affordable stores like Target and Motherhood.

On Design Mom, I love featuring good design wherever I find it — regardless of price point. And I do try hard to find good design everywhere I can. Thanks for the feedback.

Tori, from what I can tell by looking at the catalog, Isabella Oliver seems to use actual pregnant models — granted, they are leggy and tall and gorgeous. But definitely pregnant. :)

At the preview, there were two pregnant models showing off the clothes. They were both lovely and friendly. One was due in November and one in December.

6 Erin October 8, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Not pregnant yet but when I am I certainly will take a look at this brand. A PG friend of mine has a few pieces and they’re definitely her favorite items right now.

On the price thing: Yes, they’re expensive, but if you have the time and energy just check out ebay any day and see that you can easily sell these items for a good chunk of what you originally paid for them.

7 jordan October 9, 2008 at 12:55 am

If my legs stayed skinny during pregnancy I’d be all over this.

8 Isabella Oliver October 9, 2008 at 4:24 am

Hi,

It’s the girls from Isabella Oliver here, thank you for attending our breakfast preview, we are so happy that you loved our new collection as much as we do. It seems hard to think of Spring and Summer with the weather at the moment but that doesn’t have to stop you from looking just as gorgeous. We love the Pocket Tunic maternity dress; the girls in the office have been wearing it with jewel coloured tights, or over a pair of maternity jeans.

We have just celebrated our 5 year birthday and we couldn’t be happier; we have had such a great response to our clothing and this is one of the main reasons why we are launching our non-maternity collection – 365 in Spring 09. We’d love you to be one of the first to know so please feel free to visit our website from time-to-time or sign up to our newsletter ready for when we launch.

Warm regards,
Isabella Oliver

9 Alex October 9, 2008 at 4:56 am

I LOVE Isabella Oliver. I lusted after her range when I was pregnant, but it was way beyond my price range :-( Maybe next time… I should start saving now! ;-)

10 Adventures In Babywearing October 9, 2008 at 4:24 pm

The fabulous wrap top I wore to the Kirtsy/Alltop party was from Isabella Oliver- LOVE the styles and how luxurious it feels ON.

Steph

11 liz stanley October 9, 2008 at 6:20 pm

all the stuff looks amazing. good find!

12 abigail @ Piece of Cake October 9, 2008 at 7:00 pm

almost makes me want another too. oh well… ill just pass it along to my friends :)

13 thestamfordwife October 14, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for sharing this find…I ended up buying two pieces from them and LOVE them both!!!

Love your blog!

14 michelle-sterling.com October 15, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Thanks for posting about these wonderful designers! I just ordered the wrap cardigan and can’t wait to wear it all throughout pregnancy!

15 Lauren October 17, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Thrifty tip:

I did some investigating online, and found that the used IO clothes have a very high resale value on ebay. It seems it makes the most sense to buy a few pieces from IO full-price, then sell your gently used items on ebay. You’d only end up paying about $35 (in the long run) for one of those geisha wrap tops, instead of $90 for a used item on ebay. Now THAT seems pretty reasonable!

16 PradaPrincipal November 19, 2008 at 10:26 am

I was all over IO when I was pregnant. Wore the ruched top to death while pregnant and even after pregnancy while working on my post baby bod. This and the wrap dress are my faves. I still wear the shrug and will get the wrap cardi when I get preggers again! Good stuff!

17 Elena November 28, 2008 at 5:03 am

Yesterday i have found out this brand. I like it very much. But i have no idea how to choose a right size. I live in italy and here my size is 40, M. Now i have measured myself and my bust is for nr. 4, but hips of nr. 3. What to do?

18 Anonymous January 22, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I LOVE Isabella Oliver! I am 6 1/2 months pregnant and only want to wear I.O. clothes :o) For those of you who want to save a few bucks, check out their items on EBAY.

19 linda maternity April 21, 2009 at 11:28 am

Hey, good to know that there is a non pregnant line available now.
After wearing your maternity clothes during my pregnancy, I’m so happy that I will also buy the new line as well.