Ask Design Mom: Boy Clothes

August 26, 2008

A popular topic in Ask-Design-Mom emails is boy clothes. I get lots of questions along these lines: I have 2 sons. I see lots of great clothing for girls out there. But what about the boys?

And I totally feel their pain. It does seem that for every one line of boys clothing, there are a dozen boutiques focused on girls. Well. Never mind that. There are lots of fantastic lines out there with boys on the brain. Here are some great ones:

Wonderboy
All boy. All the time. Casual pieces that are always interesting.
I’ve met the husband-wife team behind this line at two different trade shows. They are both delightful. They not only design the clothing, they also design the textiles they use. Which is extraordinary. You can find a list of retailers on their site or see some of their line at small concept.

babysusu
For boys through age 4. Beautifully constructed with a dressier, more modern feel. Find this line at places like petitluxe and citibabes.

Original Penguin
For toddlers and school-age boys. Original Penguin launched with golf shirts for men in the 1950′s. They have very hip mens and womens lines and they’ve recently expanded with a selection for boys. This line is perfect for that leave-it-to-Beaver look.

Do you have any favorite boy clothing lines?

1 Vanessa August 26, 2008 at 2:35 pm

I didn’t check to see if you listed this one already I love the boys line at tea collection

2 Ana Carini August 26, 2008 at 3:04 pm

How cute are those! I can definitely see my boys wearing these clothes! Nice to meeting you, you have been linked on my blog!

3 Horsley Home August 26, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Those are darling! I also love knuckleheads for boys. true boy style.

4 Manda August 26, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Someone asked the question I had been wondering! The lads can looks swank too. Thanks for the links.

5 delilah August 26, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Great info. I have a boy on the way and have been thinking about clothing. It’s so easy to find cool stuff for my little girl, definitely not for a boy…

6 Disco Mom August 26, 2008 at 9:41 pm

We like Mr. Tiny, American Apparel for affordable basics, Kate Quinn Organics, and Speesees yoga pants. It’s a dilemma, truly. Awesome boy clothes are hard to come by and I’m so sick of cargo pants and graphic tees!

7 Disco Mom August 26, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Plain onesies and t-shirts can also be very easily and simply embellished and personalized if you have a few minutes and an inclination to do so.

8 Kate August 26, 2008 at 10:28 pm

I don’t know how specific lines, but a great store in my area just got an online store. She has great taste.
http://www.redwagonclothing.com She just went online a couple of days ago I think, so I’m not sure what she has on there, but she has darling boy stuff. She also has WONDERFUL girl things, which is why my husband hates her! ;)

9 Grosgrain Kathleen August 27, 2008 at 8:20 am

Thank you for this post! I totally agree with you about the boy clothes thing! And I’ve heard the same thing from my readers too. I wish I had a boy to model some of my clothes so I could make a few for boys. Ahhh, who knows perhaps next year?

Thanks for the post! My favorite is the wonderboy shirt with the cowboy hat:)

10 Amber August 27, 2008 at 10:31 am

I have 3 boys so I totally know what you are talking about with boy clothes. These are all so cute. Thanks for sharing!

11 Mode Boutique August 28, 2008 at 5:38 pm

If you can find a boutique that carries them, Cheap Monday does some awesome kids clothing with a bit of an edge.

12 Hannah August 28, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Finally! Such great suggestions! I usually get all of my son's clothes at H&M because they're different and if – if? – when he destroys them he doesn't also destroy my bank account. But it's nice to have new options. Thank you, thank you.

13 Lecia September 27, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Great post – thanks for the tips. Almost everything I’ve bought for my two boys is from Hanna Andersson – great quality, lasts forever, great looking.

14 Phili January 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Great line of boys tees is Lissoos – absolutely love their tees for boys- they range from 6m to 6 years- u can buy the tees on line at http://www.pondu.com – also such great prices-
Hope u will love them as much as I do- I know your little boy will!!!