Book of the Week — People

June 19, 2008

My mom recently posted about this book — People by Caldecott medalist Peter Spier. I was so happy to be reminded of it. We had this volume in our home growing up and I remember loving to study and stare at the detailed pictures of cultures and people from around the world. And I remember being completely fascinated that there were so many, many different sorts of people — it was definitely my first introduction to a global way of thinking.

Once, my mom was helping my Dad decorate the bulletin boards in his classroom. For one large board, she created cut outs of people based on the drawings from the book. I LOVED it. I stared at it for hours (it was probably minutes, but I was 10 or 11, so holding still at all was pretty impressive). I couldn’t imagine a more wonderful bulletin board.

I think I’m going to pick up a copy for my own library.

1 amy t sharp June 19, 2008 at 12:12 pm

must check this out! merci!

2 Beth B. June 19, 2008 at 12:13 pm

Also great are the books by Gyo Fujikawa which are currently in reprint. She was one of the very first children’s authors to incorporate multi-cultural images of children in her books.

(BTW they are in reprint as board books, which makes them great to read with little hands!)

3 happyathome June 19, 2008 at 12:52 pm

This is a must for the home library, or even a great donation for your local public library! Thank you for the post!

4 Lindsay June 19, 2008 at 1:15 pm

I was addicted to this book growing up. It fascinated me to no end! Plus, it was a Peter Spier — anything by him is fabulous.

5 blueviolet June 19, 2008 at 5:30 pm

This is my daughter’s favorite book in the world and she’s in college. It’s excellent.

6 julieeee June 19, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Another fantastic book is Families by Uwe Ommer. It has photographs of families all around the world with a small bio of a child on each page. Its really an incredible book that everyone should own.
Beautiful pictures and brief intros to people all over the globe!

7 Cathy June 19, 2008 at 9:24 pm

I love this book!

8 notes from em June 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm

we love this book in our house, as well as two others by the same author. noah’s ark, which doesn’t have any words, just amazing pictures, and
Oh were they ever happy. so fun for kids to see the pictures and ask all their inquisitive questions.

9 makakona June 20, 2008 at 2:24 am

aw, man! i wish i’d read the comments before completing my amazon order! i wonder how many copies will sell because of your link. no worries, my four year old turns five in a few weeks and has asked for a “bookworm party” because she only wants books as presents. a girl after her parents’ hearts!

a favorite in our house is “children just like me” by the kindersleys. there’s a two-page spread for each of 30 or so countries. each spread features a child, their family, their school, their clothes and foods, and so on. LOVELY book that my girls beg to be read from. we read it along with a children’s atlas and they just love it. mom and dad love the exposure and tolerance the kids gain!

thanks for the recommendation! i’m not sure we’ll be able to wait to give it as a gift!

10 Jecca June 20, 2008 at 8:08 am

this was my all time, hands down, absolute favorite as a kid.

11 Donna June 20, 2008 at 8:27 am

Yes, definitely adding that one to our next library visit list. My children also devour books.

12 PsychMamma June 22, 2008 at 7:34 am

We love this book! It’s among our favorites too. Check out my list of 12 other books that teach pro-social behavior at:

13 makakona June 27, 2008 at 8:28 pm

i thought i should update you… we got a kick out of a series of emails from amazon explaining that there was an unexpected demand for this book and that shipments were being delayed. they’d repeatedly give us a new ship date, then recant it.

design mom strikes again!