Ask Design Mom Week: Toddler Dress Pattern

June 6, 2008

Ask Design Mom Question:
Hello Design Mom. I’m wondering if you might know where I can find a pattern to make a simple toddler’s a-line dress. Thanks, Kimi

Design Mom Answer:
Thanks for your question, Kimi. I’ve been told there are many experienced seamstresses that visit this blog now and again — I hope they’ll chime in with their suggestions.

While they ponder the question, I’ll send you to two places: you could pick up this vintage pattern on etsy. Or you could visit Oliver + S to see if any of their darling toddler patterns will work for you — like this swingset tunic.

1 joolee June 6, 2008 at 11:02 am

There are lots of great vintage patterns on Ebay as well – most of them are still new and have not been cut. It’s worth a try!

2 laurenthequeen June 6, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Try Simplicity pattern number 6578 or do a search on their website.

3 liz s June 6, 2008 at 1:37 pm

heres a tutorial on how to make a simple a-line dress out of a pillowcase:

4 Kate The Great June 6, 2008 at 2:07 pm

I like burdastyle.com for patterns. Here is a search for dresses; I think the Malissa pattern would be closest to what you’re looking for.

5 simply kris June 6, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I have purchased patterns from Etsy and they have been in pristine condition. If you find the one you want, ETSY sellers are top of the line!

6 janika June 6, 2008 at 2:34 pm

I’ve had great luck making my own patterns. If your child has a favorite (and hopefully simple) store-bought skirt, etc. just lay it flat on a piece of newspaper and trace it. Add 5/8″ around the edges and allow extra room for waistbands, hems, etc. and then cut out your pattern piece from the paper. Then cut it out from your favorite fabric and sew it up!

7 Stephanie June 6, 2008 at 7:22 pm

You can find Japanese patterns on etsy too that are fantastic.

8 make it perfect June 7, 2008 at 7:33 am

I have a couple of cute pinafore patterns in my etsy store for sizes 0-5. http://www.makeitperfect.etsy.com :)

9 Sunny June 7, 2008 at 8:03 pm

has a few really cute hand made a line dresses.

10 the tumtum tree June 9, 2008 at 9:53 am

You could always take another a-line dress and try to trace the shape of the fabric around the seams if you didn’t want to spend money. A-line is as simple as you can get
I don’t use patterns either so with the dresses I sew it’s mostly trial and error. Just be sure you cut the pattern before the fabric. That way you’re not wasting material. You can pin a pattern together and put it on your model to see if it fits.