Ask Design Mom Week: Nursing Covers

June 4, 2008

Ask Design Mom Question:
Gabrielle, Hey. I just recently found your website through a friends blog and I love it! I was wondering if you know of any stylish, but affordable nursing covers. Thanks, Justina

Design Mom Answer:
Hmmm. Depends on what you mean by affordable. : ) A quick google search will give you lots of good-looking options in the $30 to $40 range — from shops like Modest Mums, Obuba and Peanut Shell.

But if you’re looking for a real deal, here are two suggestions:

1) Pick up a yard of pretty fabric and ask a friend to whip one up for you. My sister in law, Megan, posted about a cute one she made here. It sounds like a very straightforward project.

2) Use this $7 clip to turn any baby blanket into an impromptu nursing cover.

What about you Design Mom Readers? Seen any especially good deals on nursing cover-ups?

1 belula June 4, 2008 at 11:47 am

I love your blog!!!

2 Alyssa Coberly June 4, 2008 at 11:50 am

target! they carry a ‘hooter hider’ by peanut shell for very reasonable & they are super cute! … or look on etsy – lots of people make darling ones.

3 Jessica Leman June 4, 2008 at 11:54 am

I sell them :) LOVE reading your blog!

4 Jill June 4, 2008 at 12:05 pm

The Geela shop on Etsy sells “modest mamas” nursing covers that have wiring around the neck. You stay confortably covered up, but you can easily look down and see baby while baby can see you. And they use great fabrics.

5 Chookooloonks June 4, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Although I didn’t nurse, I’m a huge fan of Maya slings:

They’re incredibly stylish looking and have the added benefit that when you’re nursing, the baby can stay in the sling, and the “tail” of the sling can be casually thrown over the baby so you nurse discreetly.

I wore my sling until my daughter was about 18 months — and invariably, even when she wasn’t in it, people would comment on my beautiful “scarf.”

6 kelli June 4, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Peekaboobaby has nice, simple fabric options for $32 I believe. I’ve had both that and the obuba, which I think is too thick and bulky for me. (www.peekbaby.com)

7 Lucky Designs June 4, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I recently purchased a clip. I really like it.

8 Alan June 4, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Don’t forget about Bebe au Lait! They make the (in)famous “Hooter Hiders” nursing covers. The price starts at $35, with other designs costing more. Their 100% Organic nursing covers are $50.

9 liz June 4, 2008 at 6:01 pm

i love my hooter hider (that’s the brand name)- not too much fabric, folds nicely into my diaper bag and takes up little room. It also love that is has a little wired section up at the top so I can peek in without using my hand, but is still covering me. On the inside there is a special corner for cleaning spit-up.

hooter hiders are at most maternity stores or boutiques.

10 Heather June 4, 2008 at 9:18 pm
11 Lauren June 4, 2008 at 9:38 pm

I’ve just discovered the Baby Boubette tops — available in several styles — that have zippers down the side, allowing you to feed discreetly. Highly recommended!

12 eryka June 5, 2008 at 3:36 am

I love my hooter hider!

13 Lizzy June 5, 2008 at 3:25 pm

i got mine for a good price at babyshowershawaii.com like hooter hider, it has the wire pop out section that rocks and uses a small amount of fabric so it rolls up about the size of a burp cloth.

i just checked and their price is cheaper than hooter hiders too!!

14 Meg June 6, 2008 at 10:54 am

A great tutorial on how to make your own or she will make one for you for $20.

15 mich June 6, 2008 at 1:29 pm

I love “be be au lait” (a.k.a “hooter hiders”). They are the first one’s to come out with this sort of thing with cool fabric (amy butler, etc) and a place for you to peek in and see the baby.

16 Karen K November 17, 2008 at 1:11 am

I got one from http://www.SimplyBabyMe.com for $20. I LOVE it and use it ALL the time. I’ve compared it to my friend’s Hooter Hider and they are essentially the same.

17 Minnie February 6, 2009 at 5:02 am

Well I can say there are many different kind of baby cover or you can say baby shield available in the market which are quite useful in terms of using it if by chance you are in public place and you have to feed your baby.

Such as I bought a Baby Shield from BabyBoo at http://www.BabyBoo.com. This Baby Shield gives privacy to me and my baby while breastfeeding (nursing). The Baby Shield shields the baby from loud noises and lights. The fabric looks like an item of clothing and is of breathable fabric.