ASk Design Mom Week: Headbands

June 6, 2008

Ask Design Mom Question:
Hi Gabrielle! I have a question for you. We will be going camping soon with some friends and while I don’t mind being outdoors and getting down and dirty, I’d like something cute to hold my too-short-for-a-ponytail hair back, especially since I don’t plan on bringing a hair dryer on a camping trip! Do you know of any cute hair scarves or cloth headbands?
— Thanks! Katerina

Design Mom Answer:
First of all, your camping trip sounds like the perfect summer adventure. I’m sure you’ll have a great time! My preferred camping head gear is a classic red bandana. Good-looking. Easy to spot if I’m hiking with others. Absorbent for mopping up perspiration on a hot day. And it can work as a sling in a pinch. But if you’re looking for something beyond a bandana, here are two suggestions.

I recently received an email about a just-launched hair product called Knot Heads that promises to work with all hair lengths in all sorts of interesting ways. You can check it out (including demo videos) here. And. I’ve heard rave reviews about Pinkbench head bands. Adjustable to fit your head with a vow to “stay on and not hurt”. Sounds good to me!

How do you handle “camp hair” Design Mom Readers?

1 Terina June 6, 2008 at 12:08 pm

can’t go wrong with braiding it if your hair is long enough.

2 ginger June 6, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Did “knot heads” rip off Heather Bailey’s “trash ties”? Or vice versa?

I tried the trash ties in my daughter’s hair, and they didn’t stay put very well.

Heather Bailey’s website also has a tutorial for making headbands… her website is:
heatherbailey.typepad.com

3 KJ June 6, 2008 at 4:42 pm

how about a good old fashioned bandana? I also love a baseball cap. Not your thing? I’m loving the lycra and/or dolce headwraps from The Finest Accessories Inc, or franceluxe.com. I’ve used several of their pieces and I’m a big fan. Send me a note if you have questions.

4 vfg June 6, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I love wearing the batik bandana I bought from etsy seller margotbianca. Lovely classic patterns from antique Indonesian batik stamps. The undiscerning may not see the difference between my hand-dyed beauty and a 99c Walmart one, but I feel fantastic.

My daughter just lost her hair during a bone marrow transplant, and we found her some lovely silk Vera scarves for summer on eBay. Silk is excellent performance fabric, too, so not necessarily a bad camping fit (and more fun is to paint your own; check out all the dyes and clothing/fabric blanks available at dharmatrading.com, my latest obsession…).

5 liza June 6, 2008 at 8:03 pm

I have a friend that makes the cutest scarves for women and girls. http://www.marleyandmoses.com. She gave them out as party favors for her daughter’s birthday. So cute!

6 Frozen Cacti June 6, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Ginger I was thinking the same thing when I say this post. I think Heather has a patent on these? Maybe I’m wrong. But her site does have some great ideas. Still haven’t tried them though.

7 Jennifer, Snapshot June 8, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Yeah–hat, bandana, twisted back in a big clip. . . . definitely NOT a hairdryer.

8 Lisa June 8, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Yes, “knot heads” did rip off Heather Bailey’s trash ties, in fact they were friends who helped Heather and then moved away and stole her idea. You can read about it here: jonag.typepad.com in her May 23,2008 post. I think it’s important that we mom’s support each other in our creative endeavors and give credit where credit is due.

9 Sarah Bray June 8, 2008 at 7:40 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing — that those look just like Heather’s! I love Trash Ties, and I hope to get some soon!

10 Kari Dawn Edmunds June 11, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Love, love, love my Pinkbench headbands!

11 jennifer June 12, 2008 at 9:37 am

poor heather! what a rip off of her trash ties design.

12 Andrekabu July 10, 2008 at 6:59 am

I love Trash Ties! Hate thieves, though.

13 Chris August 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Heather is not the first with the wire/tie – about 30 years ago there was another product available that my mom used for a roll up, knot type, or twisted bun.