Ask Design Mom: Easter Baskets

March 18, 2008

Ask Design Mom Question:

Dear Designmom, I’ve been looking for easter baskets for my three kids and have had a hard time finding something that will last through the years and that looks great. You are always posting such great finds and ideas for all the holidays and I am hoping that you might be able to help me find a few resources for fantastic easter baskets. Thanks! Becky

Design Mom Answer:
Great question Becky! And I hear you on the long-lasting aspect. The first Easter baskets I purchased for my kids were sweet, but they broke the second year and were a beast to store.

If you’re super traditional, then you may not like my answer, but I’m a big fan of “alternative” Easter baskets. In fact, I look for baskets that are multi-purpose and highly functional — that I can use throughout the year for all sorts of things. I also prefer a small container, because it prevents us from getting out of control with the candy.

Our current Easter baskets are small galvanized metal buckets. The kids decoupaged them a few years ago with crepe paper, wrapping tissue and watered down glue. (Although, I think they’re lovely unadorned as well.) After they’ve done their duty collecting eggs, they go back to the shelves in my girls’ room, where they corral Polly Pocket pieces and Barbie shoes and dress-up jewelry. You can see them on my daughters’ shelves here.

But if buckets aren’t your thing. I recommend looking through home organization departments to scope out other alternative, long-lasting “baskets”. Wire fruit baskets would be charming and would show off the colored eggs — no grass necessary. Or a small cloth bin that you could embellish with a ribbon handle so they can carry it during their egg hunt would be perfect. In fact, if you hunt around your house, you may find that you have just the thing on hand already.

I hope that helps, Becky. Happy Hunting!

Small rhombus totes from The Container Store. Metal buckets in galvanized silver and solid colors from The Bucket Outlet. Wire baskets from Organize.com. Natural sling bag by Eco Bags.

1 Adventures In Babywearing March 18, 2008 at 12:46 pm

I’m crazy about Ecobags string bags. I have them in all sorts of fun colors and they hold a TON!

Steph

2 Becky March 18, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for the fabulous ideas!! I LOVE the galvanized metal bucket idea and know my kids would be thrilled to participate in decorating them. Off to market for me. . . :)

3 KJ March 18, 2008 at 2:18 pm

I use a metal bucket for my own little guy…someone gave us baby gifts tucked inside and I use it in the bath to hold small towels except at Easter time. It’s a great lime-green color (I think it came from Target) and I love that it’s not “themed” or “Easter” and multi-purpose.

4 Lizzy March 18, 2008 at 2:27 pm

this year we’ll be using new sand buckets. we need to add a couple to our collection and they will be played with all year long.

5 pve design March 18, 2008 at 4:07 pm

We have the same baskets every year!

6 Lotta March 18, 2008 at 5:58 pm

I’m a huge fan of galvanized buckets as easter baskets. They look awesome with some grass. (Ok what doesn’t look better with grass but that’s beside the point) and when the kids get bored with them they end up as gift containers.

7 Anonymous March 18, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Just came by to see if you had any good Easter kid ideas for my 4 little peeps – as usual you didn’t disappoint. Delurking for this one comment, so just wanted to say thanks!

8 Bek March 18, 2008 at 9:09 pm

We do the galvanized bucket thing too. One year, I even found some blue ones..they live in the craft closet during the year holding crayons and markers, but come out every Easter…

Ikea has some good ones too…

9 wildthayn March 19, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Oooh, great ideas! Thanks for posting links to great resources as well. That’s a super time and money saver. I love that you are a mother of 5!!! What an adventure!!!

10 Mairzey Dotes March 19, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Love the buckets you created! That may be my next project…hope they turn out as great as yours!

11 Dansie Family March 19, 2008 at 3:21 pm

i just dug out my easter box (easter came way too early this year) and found some cute metal baskets. i just remembered i wanted to sprout wheat grass this easter and these would have been perfect. hopefully i will remember about it next year.

12 Anonymous March 21, 2008 at 9:05 pm

I love the bucket idea for a host of things, but my heart goes back to b-a-s-k-e-t-y baskets for spring and for Easter. I like something muted, white-washed. Whatever it is, I think children like the Traditions in their own family.

13 Heather April 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I was just googling “alternative easter baskets” when I came to your site- I wasn’t a subscriber back in 2008 :) I always try to do something functional for the boys’ easter basket- it’s usually new sand pails for the upcoming warm weather. Corbin has been asking for a basket for his bike so I’m going to do that for his Easter Basket- trying to think of something new for Brian (a bit harder to shop for)- thanks for the ideas!