Happy Valentine’s Day 2008

February 14, 2008

Last evening we made Valentines for the school parties today.
Maude figured out how to make origami heart pockets and folded one for each of her classmates (those are her busy-marker-covered-fingers). She included two wint-o-green life savers in the heart (oh my goodness I love wint-o-green life savers) and stapled the heart closed.

It took us awhile to come up with something cool enough for a 4th grade boy to take to school on Valentine’s Day, but we were very satisfied with our solution:

We picked up a pad of Mad Libs. I exacto-knifed them out of their stack and Ralph folded and slipped one sheet into each envelope. Then we printed out sheets of red that said: “I’m MAD about you Valentine!” “LIB it up this Valentine’s Day!” and “Have a RAD MAD Valentine’s Day”.

Ralph cut out the text with fancy scissors and we used double sided tape to attach them to the envelopes. He was very excited to hand these out — he thought his teacher would appreciate the nouns and verbs and adjectives aspect.

Olive just wanted to hand out a box of My Little Pony Valentines. And that’s just what she did.

Happy Valentine’s Day to You! I hope you get the chance to do something nice today for someone you’re fond of.

1 Super Zoe February 14, 2008 at 12:57 pm

As a former English teacher, I am a big lover of the Mad Libs! If his teacher does not love it, she is crazy!

(Caveat: there are lots if inappropriate nouns and verbs that kids can use, as I learned teaching middle school.)

2 fairfieldcountychild.com February 14, 2008 at 1:37 pm

wow you are on fire today with the valentine’s ideas. thanks! mind if i link to you from my site http://www.fairfieldcountychild.com?

3 R-Eight February 14, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Super great ideas!!

4 Fairlightday February 14, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Love Ralph’s valentines! You sure had a busy evening last night.

5 Average Jane Crafter February 14, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Love love love the Mad Libs – that is a fantastic idea. I’ve always been a huge fan of ML, and I love the idea of putting them in the Valentines!

6 Lei February 14, 2008 at 3:08 pm

I am going to have to use the mad libs idea for sure… book marking! Thanks!

7 Amanda Neilson February 14, 2008 at 5:16 pm

What great ideas! Mad libs and origami are two of my boys favorite things!

8 Bek February 14, 2008 at 5:20 pm

of course all your ideas are wonderful. I also love how Olive wanted to just the My Little Pony ones… everyone wins!!

We always got (and now give) ML’s in our Christmas stocking. We even made “church” ones for sacrament meeting (the family meeting in our congregation). Good stuff.

9 lynne February 14, 2008 at 6:53 pm

such a great idea, those mad libs! love it.

10 KellySchwark.com February 14, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Oh, how wonderful!!! This post makes me crave the day that my little girl, now 7 months old, will be big enough to share such an actvity with! Thanks for the daydream!!!

Kelly

11 Mamalang February 14, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Those are awesome ideas. I may have to steal the MadLibs for the older kids next year.
We made bags with a pencil, little note pad and eraser. Longer lasting than candy, useful for school and home, and they worked for the 5, 9 and 14 year old.

12 pve design February 15, 2008 at 6:55 am

wish you were my design mom!
your valentines were creative and fun!

13 Nicole February 15, 2008 at 9:29 am

Love the Mad Libs valentines! I will have to keep that in mind for next year. The hearts were adorable too… I guess I need to start a file :-)

14 Rachel February 15, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Fabulous, o creative one.

15 Dansie Family February 15, 2008 at 2:18 pm

great ideas. my five-year-old was so excited to be able to cut out hearts for his valentines. so we made them into cute little people with accordion arms and legs. he got to do his hearts, and they weren’t too girly. too bad we couldn’t send homemade treats with them. i am still sad about that.

16 Monica January 30, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I will definitely be making these this year. I would love to share your link and idea on my site, would you mind. Thanks http://www.happynester.blogspot.com

17 Design Mom January 31, 2009 at 11:24 am

Monica, I don’t mind a bit if you share the link and idea on your site. In fact, I would appreciate it.