Book of the Week — Gallop!

February 7, 2008

Design Mom Reader Shannon J, sent me an email recommending the book
Gallop! I finally made some time to check it out and now I simply must add it to the family library. It sounds/looks amazing.

Since I still haven’t seen it in person, I’m going to grab the well-written (anonymous?) review right off of Amazon:

“There’s never before been a book like Gallop! Employing a patented new technology called Scanimation, each page is a marvel that brings animals, along with one shining star, to life with art that literally moves. It’s impossible not to flip the page, and flip it again, and again, and again.

A first book of motion for kids, it shows a horse in full gallop and a turtle swimming up the page. A dog runs, a cat springs, an eagle soars, and a butterfly flutters. Created by Rufus Butler Seder, an inventor, artist, and filmmaker fascinated by antique optical toys, Scanimation is a state-of-the-art six-phase animation process that combines the “persistence of vision” principle with a striped acetate overlay to give the illusion of movement. It harkens back to the old magical days of the kinetoscope, and the effect is astonishing, like a Muybridge photo series springing into action—or, in terms kids can relate to, like a video without a screen. Complementing the art is a delightful rhyming text full of simple questions and fun, nonsense replies: Can you gallop like a horse? giddyup-a-loo! Can you strut like a rooster? cock-a-doodle-doo!

Every child who opens the book will be amazed—and so will every parent.”

Are you with me? Does Gallop! sound awesome or what?

And speaking of awesome and books, the 2008 Caldecott and Newbery winners were recently announced. I’m a collector of Caldecott books and look forward to finding out the winners every year. (This year’s Caldecott winner is
The Invention of Hugo Cabret — a great choice, and one I reviewed here.)

{ 1 trackback }

Book of the Week: Wizard of Oz Scanimation | Art Painting
November 2, 2011 at 7:18 am

1 nahiacreations February 7, 2008 at 8:33 pm

My kiddos (twins) just received this for their birthday and it is a great book! My hubby and I were even fascinated by it.

2 rebecca February 7, 2008 at 9:16 pm

My parents sent this for Joseph’s birthday. You should see it in person– I can’t stop looking at it myself. Definitely a winner!

3 barkingkel February 7, 2008 at 10:18 pm

An excellent book! My 18mo and 5yr old daughters spend lots of time moving the pages bacc and forth. As do me and my husband for that matter.

4 Fun Finds For Mom February 7, 2008 at 10:23 pm

My son received this as a Christmas gift and I have to say, I’ve spent way more time looking at it than he has. It’s kind of addictive!

5 eRiCa February 7, 2008 at 10:33 pm

I LOVE this book and everyone asks where I got it when they see my kids flipping through it during church…it’s an awesome book!!

6 Stephanie Lynne February 7, 2008 at 10:58 pm

This reminds me that when I picked this book up, I also picked up another book that I think you would love, Pssst! by Adam Rex. You HAVE to check it out if you have a chance! The artwork is amazing and the story is hilarious.

7 Steph February 7, 2008 at 11:05 pm

My daughter got this book for her 2nd birthday last November! She loves it and so do we! It’s very nicely done and as fun finds said — it really IS addictive!

8 RyMom February 7, 2008 at 11:09 pm

I’ve bought at least 8 copies for friends with babies. My 9 month-old loves it–he keeps reaching out to touch the ‘moving’ pictures. Parents might love it slightly more than kids, though!

9 Elizabeth February 8, 2008 at 12:42 am

This book was just given to my son for his first birthday and he loves it. I think it’s timeless and one that will work for so many ages…1 to 101.

10 kristi lou February 8, 2008 at 12:46 am

thank you!! i’ve been searching for a gift for my nephew! this will be perfect!

11 Jules February 8, 2008 at 8:28 am

They had this at Costco around Christmas time. My kids loved it.

12 eclecticentertaining February 8, 2008 at 12:49 pm

I’m nuts for this book! I haven’t even gotten sick of it, even though our three year old needs to hear it nightly!

13 Bix'Mom February 8, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Bix got this book for her birthday yesterday. Grandma got it at a discount bookstore for less than $5. Our little 1-year-old is mesmerized.

14 Missy February 8, 2008 at 4:03 pm

My MIL got this at Cosco for my son at Christmas. It’s one of his favorites now. My husband wanted to take the thing apart just to see how it works. I talked him out of it. LOL

15 {natalie} February 9, 2008 at 12:02 am

i just bought that book at Costco for about $7-8. it’s very cool

16 Kelly February 12, 2008 at 12:11 am

I just found this book myself at B&N last Friday. I couldn’t stop looking at it; neither of my kids would give it a second glance. It was beautiful and I think given a second try (and a quieter environment) they’d really appreciate it, too.