Baubles — by Guest Mom Leslie

January 15, 2008

It turns out that I happen to love jewelry. I wear simple signature pieces every day: small diamond studs, my wedding set, and a simple solitaire necklace. Sometimes I’ll change it up if I’m feeling that my outfit needs an uplift. Since I’ve been blogging at A Room Somewhere, I’ve been surprised at how often beautiful jewelry catches my eye, and how much of it has ended up in my mailbox! Design Mom features lovely jewelry artisans often on her blog, people like Lisa Leonard. Lisa’s personalized jewelry always resonates with me. I could own every single one of her pieces and not be a bit sad about it. I have a piece she made for me and I get compliments every time I put it on.

One of my favorite shops to browse is run by the Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD). Their students, both current and former, create really unusual but completely wearable pieces, like this Portrait Necklace, designed by Allyson Ross.

I love the assymetrical circles of silver she placed on the side of this antique porcelain button. ShopSCAD not only features jewelry, but clothing, artwork, and decorative home items as well.

And here’s a collection of gorgeous pieces from some of my favorite online sources for fabulous, unusual, elegant jewelry. Pick out something pretty for yourself!

From top row, left to right:

Abilene Earrings

Gold & Green Aventurine Paillette Necklace, Viv&Ingrid;

Tiny House Necklace, J. Davis Studio on Etsy
I Love You Necklace, Automaton on Etsy

Sun & Moon Necklace, Sundance

The Blue Rose Earrings, Ivcreations on Etsy

1 Design Mom January 15, 2008 at 10:44 am

Great picks! June Cleaver’s Secret Necklace is worth owning for the name alone — love it.

2 tara January 15, 2008 at 11:17 am

Everything is so lovely, Leslie! As usual (o:

3 i'm kelly January 15, 2008 at 11:49 am

i too am such a jewelry girl. it is so much fun to put on. i can totally change my mood simply by putting a necklace or a ring. i’ve been lucky enough to collect some beautiful pieces while traveling. which makes it really fun… not only are they beautiful, but they are wonderful reminders of a trip long ago. i loved all the pieces you decided to feature, they are beautiful.

4 melmck January 15, 2008 at 12:04 pm

i love that personalized necklace! and love your kids too. :)

5 joolee January 15, 2008 at 12:48 pm

thanks for these links! I’m sick of buying jewelry at Target and have wanted some one-of-a-kind pieces. I have since fallen in love with Etsy, but these other sites are great too. Thanks again!

6 Mrs. Dub January 15, 2008 at 2:04 pm

all of those pieces of lovely. too bad that i’m inexplicably attracted to gawdy, trendy jewelry. but to thine own self be true, right?

7 Mrs. Dub January 15, 2008 at 2:05 pm

… are lovely …

8 Lindsey January 15, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Yes, I love those!

Have you checked out http://www.lostbuttonstudio.com? She makes gorgeous pieces, too.

9 Brandee January 15, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Do you know where I can find some really beautiful lockets. One of a kind and antiquey looking? I have been looking since fall, to no avail…..Thanks!

10 Natalie* January 15, 2008 at 3:46 pm

flawless taste, as always
am so pleased to find familiar favorites of my own among your favorites!
if only that little house necklace wasn’t so pricey…

11 Leslie January 15, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Gabrielle, did you check out that necklace? there’s a single black bead on the strand of pink beads. june’s got a dirty secret. :) love it. everything april makes is so pretty and fun. i have a couple of her necklaces, they’re very elegant.

lindsey, i do love lost button studio. my friend natalie and i have discussed on several occasions how we would love to own one of these. i posted about them here.

look at me rockin’ the html. :)

brandee, i’ll check around and get back to you. i’m pretty sure j. crew has one . . .

12 Leslie January 15, 2008 at 6:59 pm

ok brandee, i hope you’re checking back!
here’s jcrew’s option ($65)

& a cute locket from etsy for only $18

and that’s the beginning of 68 pages of lockets on etsy. click here for the search.

13 Laura January 15, 2008 at 8:45 pm

These pieces are gorgeous! This post is so dangerous for me right now!

14 kristenita January 15, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I also have that lisa leonard necklace & wear it all the time. people people think it is so clever/special. and I LLLLLOVE it!

15 Mindy January 16, 2008 at 12:07 am

I can always trust Leslie’s taste. I’m busy eye-ballin’ that lost and found necklace.

16 amy January 16, 2008 at 9:14 am

Thank you for blogging about shopSCAD! I am happy to hear you enjoy the site.

Amy Zurcher
shopSCAD Managing Director

17 Cruze January 16, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Thank you for all those beautiful baubles! I love the one with your kids names on it. One of these days when I’m totally done having babies I’d love to get one of those.

18 Anonymous January 16, 2008 at 11:07 pm

I’m not much of a jewelry person, but I found this post so inspiring! Love the Charlotte ring. Thank you for such great ideas, Leslie. Great guest blogger, Design Mom.
-jennifer s