Obuba

December 3, 2007

There are lots of options for nursing cover-ups out there and recently, this one called Obuba (pronounced oh-boo-baw) especially caught my eye. It’s much bigger than most and seems perfect for cozy winter nursing. Like a poncho/baby blanket/nursing cover all in one.

Available in 5 colors — doesn’t the red look so holiday chic? Made of really soft, easy care cotton.

1 Shannon December 3, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Those are so much more attractive than the standard nursing covers out there. I think I want one even though I plan on weaning soon. It just looks comfy.

2 liz s December 3, 2007 at 1:37 pm

oh man one more thing i forgot i need. a nursing cover up. it seems like the more i buy , the more i find out i need!

3 Brownies December 3, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Man! Where were these darling little cover ups when I was nursing? These are going to be my new baby shower gifts to friends and family!

4 LetterB December 3, 2007 at 4:27 pm

Nursing burkas bug me. But if you need one (and I guess that’s what really bugs me; that lots of times you do need one) these sure are pretty.

5 BeachysCapeCodCupboard December 3, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Oh how I wish I had seen these when I was nursing! I always ended up using baby blankets (they WERE cozy, though). I found nursing shirts too uncomfortable – this poncho looks great!

6 laura December 3, 2007 at 11:16 pm

I love mine!!!

7 Dawn December 4, 2007 at 9:21 am

Looks very comfy!

8 Green Betty December 5, 2007 at 11:23 am

I just can’t imagine wanting to eat with a blanket over my head, no matter how stylish. Nor can I imagine being so worried about other people’s opinions that I would impose such a thing on my beloved child. I know some babies will tolerate it, but does that mean it’s in their best interests?

I love this site, but I hate to see you propogating anti-nip culture (that’s Nurse In Public for those of you who don’t know). It’s 2007, Designmom. Get with it. The rest of you, dare to put your kids first.

(Crap, now I’m never going to win a giveaway!)

9 kelli December 5, 2007 at 9:48 pm

I like hearing OPTIONS. Because like every mother’s nursing experience is unique, my experience has been the same with my baby. He wouldn’t nurse in public unless he was covered. It helped with distractions. I think it was in his best interest. Cover up or not, I still support nursing (and nursing in public).

Obuba is a good option if full coverage is important to you. I’ve tried it on and that it was especially soft and comfortable.

10 jordan December 6, 2007 at 12:01 pm

I’m so glad that green betty stopped by to tell everyone how to raise their children. Nothing makes me happier than a little unsolicited parenting advice.

It is manipulative to say that people who nurse in public with a blanket AREN’T putting their kids first. Please stop propogating PAC’s. (That means passive aggressive comments for those of you that don’t know.)

11 Chantry January 2, 2008 at 3:36 am

I constantly check your blog and thought you might be interested to know that the owners of Obuba were paid by the owner of http://www.busybabywraps.com in trade (given nursing covers in exchange for modeling on her site). They took the wrap and had it reproduced. As a business owner myself it makes me sad when people plagarize and steal. Busy Baby is a much better product and comes in a lighter weight, more breathable fabric for warmer climates.

12 mech January 9, 2008 at 3:12 pm

AMEN, Chantry. This IS a great product, but it is Busy Baby Wrap’s product which Obuba has quite blatantly and brazenly ripped off. I have a feeling the **** is going to hit the fan soon…

13 Julie January 21, 2008 at 7:42 pm

I compared the busy baby wrap and the obuba wrap before buying them…obuba is mad of a fabric that is really, really heavyweight, and doesn’t seem breathable like the busy baby…I think it would be uncomfortable for a baby to be under there for long…One of my friends complained about the weighty obuba, so I ended up buying the busy baby wrap, which is made specifically to be more breathable so that it’s baby-safe…and so so comfortable! I LOVE it. I also preferred the simple edge, without any crafty stuff going on.

14 WIKKY January 28, 2008 at 11:23 am

I absolutely love my obuba. It is the perfect combination of fasion and comfort. You’ve got to try these out! I actually used it this summer in California on the beach. It was the perfect weight and size to cover the front and back!

15 Joe August 7, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Just a heads up on Obuba; They appear to be out of business. I ordered (and paid for) a wrap which was never delivered. I got the e-mail runaround, never got a refund and their number is no longer in service.

16 Linda April 15, 2014 at 12:29 am

Hi,
How can I purchase the Obuba shawl?

Thanks