Making Sibling Gifts 2007

December 13, 2007

If you were checking in with this blog last December, you may remember my post about my kids making Christmas gifts for each other. Well. We spent last weekend getting the making underway again. Ralph and Maude both completed their gifts for Olive.

Ralph made 3 bottles of bubble bath. We used recipes inspired by this site, but pretty much just used what we had. We put the bubble bath in 3 little bottles we picked up at Michaels. $1 each. Ralph hand-drew the labels on a blank sheet of computer label paper that we trimmed into strips. This was a great project for Ralph’s talents and skills. This is what Ralph named each concoction and a rough idea of the contents. Each recipe makes about 1/2 cup — because that’s how much fit in each bottle.

Luxury Honey & Vanilla Bubblebath:
-1/4 cup clear shampoo from Trader Joe’s
-1/8 cup honey
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/8 cup sunflower oil
-yellow food coloring

Almond Extract with Vitamin E Luxe Bubble Bath
-1/4 cup shampoo
-1/8 cup baby oil
-2 lids vitamin E oil
-1/8 cup almond extract (the kind used in cooking)
-blue food coloring

Silken Perfumed Luxury Bubble Bath
-Nanette Lepore and Muschio Biacco shower gel (the entire contents of two little bottles from two different hotel stays)
-Contents of perfume sample of Daisy by Marc Jacobs
-1/4 cup combo of sunflower oil, baby oil and vitamin E
-red food coloring & one drop of blue that we regretted. It muddied it up instead of tinted it violet.

Maude used a round loom to knit a scarf for Olive. This was our first experience with a round loom. It’s maybe the greatest invention ever. Ever. The thick yarn we used made for quick progress — a nice benefit to keep Maude motivated during her first project. She did a excellent job. The scarf is really lovely. I intend to borrow it often.

Olive is going to love both of these.

1 Mamma December 13, 2007 at 3:45 pm

I can’t even imagine getting my three boys to sit long enough to accomplish these. Darn I’m feeling inadequate!!

They are lovely gifts though.

2 Mommy Bee December 13, 2007 at 4:12 pm

Love that scarf! What a stylish, handmade gift. Where did you find the pattern and round loom?

3 Zoe December 13, 2007 at 4:30 pm

wow! i think i may go buy one of those round looms for me!

4 lynne December 13, 2007 at 4:35 pm

those are fantastic!

5 che December 13, 2007 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for sharing all these great ideas!

6 Mama DB December 13, 2007 at 8:34 pm

Wow, the scarf is lovely. I’m sending the link for the bubble bath to my hubby so my daughter can make it for me. Hubby is starting his own business so Christmas is a bit lean this year. The homemade gifts are so much fun to make. We enjoy them so much more knowing the kids made them. Thanks for sharing!

7 Bek December 13, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Those are wonderful… love the loom.

Another great resource for bath products and recipies is Majestic Moutian Sage. It is actually located in Utah, but the ship every where. We make bath bombs, scrubs, bubble bath, even chapstick…..

Thanks for the reminder….

Where did you get the round loom?

8 Nan December 13, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Oooh! That round loom looks super cool! Am I nuts if I think it would make knitting easier? It looks like something I could actually do. I can crochet but I can’t knit for anything. Love the scarf!!

9 Anonymous December 14, 2007 at 1:00 am

Love the recipe!! Mind if I link you from http://www.KidsAreExpensive.com ? It would be great. I write a lot of parenting articles, and this would fit well.

:O)

10 Janika December 14, 2007 at 3:07 am

Oh, how we love the Knifty Knitter at our house! My 9 year-old has made hats for all her siblings (with a little help from her dad, who also thinks it is super fun)! The ones we use (looks like the same one used in the photo) are made by Provo Craft and can be found at Michaels, Joanns or most craft stores. They really are awesome!

11 Krista December 14, 2007 at 9:40 am

What a fabulous idea! I love getting the kids to make each other’s presents. I used to make presents for my parents and plan on having Adam and I each help Campbell make presents for each other once she’s big enough.

I must say – the scarf is way better than the toothpick ornaments my folks got one year!

12 sarah starr December 14, 2007 at 11:05 am

Great scarf Maude! Ralph, I love the bubble bath names.

13 Petunia Face December 14, 2007 at 12:09 pm

You’re kids are more creative, talented and patient than I am! I wish I was there sister so I could get yummy bubble bath and a cushy scarf!

14 eRiCa December 14, 2007 at 1:49 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the homemade gifts…I have a round loom to make hats with but how do you make a scarf with it?

15 GrowingRopers December 16, 2007 at 9:13 pm

i ADORE that your kids make their siblings gifts. wonderful.

16 Nan December 17, 2007 at 10:56 pm

I had to tell you that you totally inspired me with this post! I had to go out and buy the loom set! So I’ve made three hats since Friday night.

Oh and while I was at the craft store grabbed stuff to make some cute felt change purses. Didn’t realize just how addictive these things can become!

I posted pics on my blog. You’ll have to come see. :^)

17 Lori December 10, 2010 at 11:08 am

Awwww….that’s so nice. I want my kids to do something like that. And I love that scarf. I need one like that it would be great!

18 Brenda January 6, 2011 at 11:25 pm

What a fine site. I wish I new how to design a site for writing my ideas to share. Do you do it all yourself? What about the time factor for writing, taking photos, everything! Have a great stay in France!

19 imist September 17, 2013 at 3:13 pm

It’s beautiful!! Could you please tell us where you found the pattern?