Ask Design Mom: Christmas Stockings

November 21, 2007

Question:
Hi Gabrielle. I was hoping that you could help me because you never fail to find the most beautiful things. I am looking for Christmas stockings that are beautiful and interesting, but I am having a hard time finding anything that works. Most of my searches come up with the handmade stockings with the kitschy snowman and elves on them. Do you have any suggestions where I can look? I would really appreciate it! — Alissa

Design Mom Answer:
Thanks for your question, Alissa. Goodness gracious, I do love stockings. And I was so happy to see two designs that are gorgeous — and that are priced at the very reasonable $20 each — at Crate & Barrel.

The Noel Stocking. I think the shape of these is great.

And the Clarendon Stocking. With the piping and ribbon and the stripes. I’m practically swooning.

And predictable as I am with the liking of the stripes, I’m also coveting the stripey design in the picture above by Hable Construction. (But man oh man I do not like the typeface used in the monogramming.)

1 Anonymous November 21, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Well designed stockings with a modern twist, thanks to Angela Adams:

2 Biddy November 21, 2007 at 10:50 pm

oh i love those!! warm biscuit also has some adorable stockings!

3 janeannechovy November 22, 2007 at 3:25 am

My family is big into Christmas stockings. The stockings in my family of origin are all red felt with pinked edges, a white cuff, and our names in stencil-cutout red felt letters. Each has a different assortment of holiday-themed appliques–sort of like the Hable ones, only more personalized and more varied.

For my sister’s family, I helped her execute stockings that evoke the ribboned C&B ones–only the ribbons have more different colors (not just red, green and white), and are sewn diagonally across the body of the stocking. The cuffs are white felt, and the names are sewn in narrow red ribbon. The edges are finished with green satin cord piping.

For my own family, I have gone back and forth between having purchased stockings and homemade ones. I have four of the Hable stockings that I will be listing on eBay because a) I finally did decide to make my own and b) I bought them before I got unexpectedly pregnant with an additional family member. I am now planning on making pieced elf booties from recycled sweaters. I’m still working on how to incorporate names or initials (each of us has a different first initial).

4 Kristi November 22, 2007 at 10:18 pm

Gorgeous stockings!! I love these–thanks for sharing!!

5 Mom in Mendon November 24, 2007 at 7:27 pm

When it comes to cute stockings, it seems we choose between Tradition or Trend. If you go for Tradition, you use the same ones through the years. In the end, the very appearance of the old familiar (but outdated) stockings brings back memories. On the other hand, Trend is not all bad because the change and variety can be pleasing.

6 Mom101 November 25, 2007 at 7:30 pm

Thank you oh thank you for being straight about the monogramming. I see more nice designs ruined with ill-chosen typefaces. Better to leave them blank and get a different one for each person to help identify them.

7 Alissa November 25, 2007 at 8:42 pm

Thanks so much for the ideas- I think that the striped C&B stockings are beautiful. And the Hable construction one are great- I think that I am going to spring for the partridge in a pear tree one for our daughter. Thanks again- I can’t wait to get them!

8 Anonymous November 27, 2007 at 3:13 pm

Pretty stockings! My new favorite Christmas Stockings are the “You Design It” CUSTOM stockings at http://www.brightandbold.com – you can pick and choose your style and fabric combinations from 13 different ones – a very funky look indeed! I’m not sure how long you can get them for yet, but they seem to ship within a day or two, so it’s worth a try even into mid December yet I would think.

9 LeeAnn Balbirona November 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Land of Nod has some cute felt stockings and I like their shape better…more rounded and less tapered than the above examples. The best place to shop for variety though is etsy! Lots and lots of cute handmade felt stockings.

10 Laurie November 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I cannot find these on Crate and Barrel’s website….