Book of the Week: Freight Train

September 27, 2007

My friend Rebecca is really, really good at acknowled
ging birthdays. Knowing I collect Caldecott books, this year she sent me Freight Train, by Donald Crews. It arrived in an Amazon box and when I opened it, I could tell just from the cover it was my new favorite book. Why? Because the freight train’s cars are red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple. That’s why.

I also love that’s it’s simultaneously in Spanish and English. I also love that the pictures are simple and clean and styled. There is one picture in the middle of the book of the train in motion that should be framed and hung in every busy child’s home.

Freight Train has proved a hit with my 2 year old and the pictures are interesting enough that my older kids have been curious to read it as well. A beautiful book both to read and to display.

Available here.

1 Jessie September 27, 2007 at 3:38 pm

This was one of the first books that my 2 1/2 year had memorized. He loves to read it to me and his sister. It is a great book. All Donald Crews books have fun illustrations and straight forward text.

2 jen September 27, 2007 at 4:32 pm

Me too – love, love, love this book!

3 Arline LoGioco September 27, 2007 at 4:55 pm

We LOVE this book too!! Our other favorite in the train category is “I Love Trains!” by Philemon Sturges.

4 Cecily September 27, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Ben Loves this book too… although our copy is ONLY in english??

5 BeachysCapeCodCupboard September 27, 2007 at 8:05 pm

We have this book too! When we read it, we try to mimic the sound we think the train would be making in each picture.

6 lace September 27, 2007 at 9:31 pm

I love this book. It is one of my nieces favorites.

7 Jill September 27, 2007 at 9:53 pm

We’ve probably read it every night this week–its one of the only books my 3yo and 1yo both enjoy together. Simple and perfect.

8 Laura @ Laura Williams' Musings September 27, 2007 at 10:05 pm

My little ones loved this book. We checked it out from our library this summer.

9 Tania October 4, 2007 at 10:57 pm

This has been a fav of ours forever, even before Jake’s train obsession. We also have a puzzle of it, and recently bought “Inside Freight Train” by Donald Crews. It’s a really cool board book, where the pages slide out to let you see inside the train. Hard to describe – go check it out at the bookstore.