Ask Design Mom: Maternity Gift Ideas

August 13, 2007

Ask-Design-Mom Question:
Dear Design Mom, a close friend is newly pregnant (5 weeks) after fertility problems. I want to do something special for her, but not being a mom myself I need some ideas. I don’t really want to get her a gift for the baby yet (I’ll do that at the shower), but rather I’m looking for a gift for her. Something more specific to pregnancy than a spa gift certificate. I read about lollipops that help with morning sickness or a belly cream. If it happens to be helpful and fabulous all the better. Any ideas as someone who has been there? Thank you. Abbie

Answer:
Hello Abbie. I love your question! What a thoughtful friend you are. There are dozens of things that make for good maternity gifts and I’m sure Design Mom Readers will have many terrific ideas. But I’ll start us off with a gift that I loved receiving early in my pregnancy: baby name books. My personal favorite is Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana.

1 DD August 13, 2007 at 11:31 am

As someone who has also struggled with getting/staying pregnant, may I suggest that you look at something not specifically baby-related (I’ve had 4 miscarriages and some things can be painful reminders).

Instead, why not something like a rune, pendant, charm or the like symbolizing Hope.

Tulip bulbs in an assortment of bright hues would also be a lovely gesture symbolizing a promise of new life in the Spring.

2 Abbey August 13, 2007 at 12:15 pm

I love the name book and hope pendant suggestions. There is a lot of worry in those first months of pregnancy. Not as cute, but soothing to the mind is one of those ‘listen to the baby’s heartbeat at home’ doodads.

3 Abbie August 13, 2007 at 12:57 pm

She is actually past the first trimester now (I submitted that question a while back). I gave her a pregnancy planner at the time (for scheduling dr. appts., setting up a nursery, etc.). I’m definitely still looking for great gift ideas though. This is her first child so something she may not know about/realize she’ll need, etc. Thanks for the ideas.

4 Huckaby Fam August 13, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Okay, so I will pass on my fave baby finds in the hope that something might strike your fancy. There were only a few baby items that I thought I couldn’t live without AND made me feel like a stylish Momma. The first was my Petunia Picklebottom dynamite roll backpack. So stylish! So fun! Way too expensive for me to have bought for myself! The fabric selections are gorgeous, and the bag can be worn as a messenger, a clutch, or a backpack. I loved having those options! The second item was my MayaWrap sling (www.mayawrap.com) in basic black. It was comfortable, breathable, and versatile. I used it from birth to 1 year with both boys. It comes with a super-cheesy DVD to teach you how to use it, but I always felt like some fertility goddess using it :) Hope those help!

5 Ziva August 13, 2007 at 1:57 pm

What about some maternity clothes or accessories? Going into my recent pregnancy I was overwhelmed by what to buy, what I’d need, and what was just unnecessary spending. Having a close friend say you need the following staples – a good pair of maternity jeans and evening pants, a great maternity skirt, layering tanks, oversized sweaters, etc – was incredibly helpful. So what if you bought your friend a pair of great gap maternity jeans (you could also then order and send them online, plus their return/ exchange policy is great). Or, some maternity pajamas, undergarments, or layering support tanks. Lending things among friends is helpful and fun, but buying her types of items are clearly for her celebrate her pregnancy and feel great about herself. Good luck to you and your friend!

6 Alyssa Coberly August 13, 2007 at 2:29 pm

one of the things that has been a big hit with my sister-in-laws when they were preggo was the magazines gift that i got them. I went to barnes and noble and stocked up on like 10 parenting/pregnancy magazines and put them in a really cute magazine organizer so that they had a plethora (spell?) of information right at their finger tips … there are so many good ones out there right now!

7 Julie August 13, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Or, how about a pregnancy journal hand crafted from Etsy?

8 HodgePodge August 14, 2007 at 12:44 pm

See the writeup on The Belly Book here:

Sounds like a great gift idea!

9 Anne August 14, 2007 at 12:49 pm

I agree with the awesome jeans comment. They can get pricey since they will only be worn a few months, but the pair of long and lean maternity jeans i first bought from the gap made me feel awesome! :)

I also really liked the Binth Alphabet poster.

And the what to expect books have been helpful.

You sound like an awesome supportive friend! :)

Hello Lucky also makes super cute baby books. You can find it on amazon.

10 Ryan and Brittany August 14, 2007 at 5:57 pm

The very best name book I have ever found is called the Baby Name Wizard. It steps outside the box telling you when the name has peaked, what percent it’s at now, a blurb about the name, it lists them under catergories such as guys and dolls, antique charm, biblical etc. It also lists sibling names that would go with the name they like etc. It is amazing and each time I have been pregnant, I scour the book every day!!

11 maddie December 26, 2012 at 9:17 am

My friend always buys me personalized maternity shirts or other types of pregnancy items from http://www.beheresoon.com. I’m going to check out the Baby Name Wizard book mentioned above as it sounds like a interesting naming book.