Ask Design Mom: Jewelry Storage

August 13, 2007

Ask-Design-Mom Question:
Dear Design Mom, I have a ton of fun and funky jewelry (lots from Darlybird, for example), but I have no where to put it! I bought a traditional, wooden jewelry box but it is now completely overflowing. I don’t want to store my jewelry out of sight — I love to look at all the great colors, but the top of my dresser has become a disaster. Please help. With much thanks in advance, Lindy

Answer:
Great question, Lin
dy. And I guarantee you’re not the only person out there trying to solve this dilemma. I think you’ve got the right idea about wanting to keep your pretty pieces out in the open. I love the idea of making a display on your dresser of pretty bowls, platters — even small cake stands — and arranging your jewelry like the yummy dessert that it is.

I could swear that I recently saw a picture of just this sort of display. I’ll keep hunting and post the picture if/when I find it.

Edit: My sister pointed me to this photo from the first issue of Domino as a good example of a jewelry still-life.

1 Abbey August 13, 2007 at 10:12 am

I saw a picture recently (where was that!?) of some willowy branches arranged in a vase, with the jewelery draped on the branches. It was fantastic.

2 Denae August 13, 2007 at 10:25 am

The container store has a very practical hanging jewelery keeper. It has little plastic pockets so you can see everything. It isn’t cute but it works.e

3 lainakay August 13, 2007 at 11:25 am

PBTeen may be a bit young but they have some pretty ideas that you may be able to incorporate…
This stand is a nice idea and if you click on “product views,” “view detailed photos” and “view in a room” there are several ideas laid out in one place. Also, in the background of that shot there are framed bulletin boards with jewelry pinned to them which is an interesting idea. You could, of course, shop flea markets and antique shops to replicate this look with vintage character and charm. Good luck!

4 Mamma August 13, 2007 at 11:55 am

How wonderful! I was just thinking about this on my way into work this morning.

thanks for the ideas.

5 Tara August 13, 2007 at 1:40 pm

I use hand-towel racks for necklaces and earrings. And last week at Ikea, I picked up this $4.99 jewelry tree. They only had black, but I plan to spray-paint it silver.

6 Tara August 13, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Sorry, me again! Here’s a corrected link to the post with photos of hand-towel racks as jewelry storage…. Tara

7 Kelly August 16, 2007 at 12:21 am

great ideas! i came across an idea using frames and decorative door knobs. i made it and loved it… check it out HERE

8 jen August 19, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Just got the latest version of Real Simple magazine and they had a great article/makeover for jewelry organization. They had some fantastic ideas, including a pin-board display and a pretty jewelry tree.

9 Jarman September 13, 2007 at 6:37 am

My jewelery box is so charming. I got it from CouponAlbum site.

10 Joleen November 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I came across this post quite by accident while following a link from twitter. This is such a great question. My friend made a jewelry organizer board for me some years ago and I love it so much I decided that I would start making them myself. It is a great way to display your jewelry in plain sight, off the dresser but like art on the wall. You can see the selection at http://www.jewelryorganizer.biz. I’d love to do a giveaway on this blog if anyone is interested.