Ask Design Mom: Good-Looking 3-Ring Binders

August 17, 2007

Ask-Design-Mom-Question:
Dear Design Mom. I just installed beautiful open shelving in my kitchen and they are fabulous except for one thing: My recipe and design binders. They are huge black 3 ring monstrosities and I have been trying to find really cute/modern/funky binders to switch to. I use paper
protectors so when I am using a recipe or changing out a design idea I can just slip them out so 3 rings is a must. Can you help me? Cherilee

Answer:

Thanks for the great question, Cherilee. One of my favorite places to find good-looking office supplies (or in your case, kitchen supplies!) is See Jane Work. They offer patterned binders and solid binders that look great. And I love these little clips to use as labels.

One other tip: because it’s back-to-school time, keep your eyes peeled at stores like Target and Staples for interesting binders in their seasonal school supply sections.

1 Maria August 17, 2007 at 2:20 pm

What a great idea! I’ve also covered old binders with leftover wallpaper or shelf lining — a sturdy wrapping paper works well too.

2 PIA August 17, 2007 at 2:22 pm

This is a great idea!

3 Ben and Laura August 17, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Binders are also really easy to customize yourself, if you can’t find ones that you like online.
Fabric and patterned paper are both my go-to options. A little fabric glue or modpodge and you’re set!

4 stephmodo August 17, 2007 at 3:16 pm

I love the idea Cherilee!! I’m on the hunt too!

5 Crystal August 21, 2007 at 10:27 pm

I love the covered binders!!!

6 Jeri Dansky September 8, 2007 at 11:00 pm

I have a blog post about 12 different 3-ring binders which might interest you!

7 suat May 12, 2008 at 8:50 am

Hi! Recently, I have been purchasing these PAOLO CARDELLI designer binders. What a product! What a variety! These binders are the designer look I have been searching for years. I use them for my company-wide presentations, as well as personal use. They did some logo debossing for me also. I go to their amazing website where I can buy with few clicks: http://www.paolocardelli.com It is an impressive binder boutique!

8 Sandy February 17, 2009 at 4:18 pm

I like to make cookbooks as wedding gifts. I have been purchasing fabric covered 2″ binders from a company that doesn’t appear to still be in business. Do you know of anyone who makes an attractice fabric binder?

9 Jacqueline March 28, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Just got few Paolo Cardelli binders per your comments. Amazing!!! There’s nothing like these out there! The colors and textures are exquisite. I especially love, love, love Milazzo Barolo texture!

10 Rachel April 22, 2009 at 7:03 pm

I agree with Judith, who’s my neighbor. When it comes to classy and attractive binders; definitely Paolo Cardelli! I recommended them to my husband and now his company uses them for all the presentations. Not to forget; The staff at Paolo Cardelli gives exceptional customer service.

11 Gaye June 7, 2009 at 10:10 am

Fabric covered binders are great, but paper covered ones are easier to maintain. I found Paolo Cardelli's Palermo Guanti material very sleek and user-friendly. Amazing colors.

12 Anonymous July 7, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Another place that has nice binders is Keepfiling.com
Their binders are very simple and modern looking. Kind of European style like Ikea furniture.

keepfiling binders

13 Toom December 27, 2009 at 5:49 pm

zazzle has really cute ones, some of them are a bit tacky but if you sift through the pages you find some real works of art, and if you don't like nything you can custimize your own with your photos or artworks and stuff… http://www.zazzle.com/funky+binders

14 Ken, Fellow Travelers Performance Group January 25, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Check out Naked Binders too – 5 styles and eco friendly to boot. http://www.nakedbinder.com

15 Kristin February 25, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I'm looking for a classy binder that's smaller than the usual 8×10. I want to use it as an organizer for business meetings, time management, etc. So it's got to look good. I'm having a terrible time finding a smaller size (9×6, 5×7 whatever). Plus, it's got to fit some kind of lined paper product out there. Any suggestions?

16 CLE216 January 21, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Russell + Hazel mini binder

17 liz April 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I’m looking for 3 ring binders that will accommodate sheet protectors and tabs that extend beyond the sheet protectors, so the binder needs to be a bit bigger — any ideas? I have 3 large (3″?) binders for my recipes and the binders are pretty hideous…