The Little Red Light House

July 16, 2007

On Friday I loaded up the kids and we went on a hunt for the Little Red Light House.

A dear friend, Rebecca, gave us the book (
about an actual lighthouse here in New York that was dwarfed as the George Washington Bridge was built) not long after we moved here. We love the book and have always wanted to visit the lighthouse — we even attempted to find it once a couple of years ago — but our attempt was rained out. Hooray that Friday was our lucky day.

I swear, it was like the cosmic forces all combined to help us have the perfect outing. The weather was fantastic — with a nice breeze coming off the water. It’s a bit of hike, but there was plenty of shade and the kids were great sports and helped push the stoller. We packed a simple picnic and ate lunch at the lighthouse. We had the park absolutely to ourselves. Climbed around on the rocks. Dipped our toes in the Hudson River. Admired the cliffs across the water in New Jersey. Threw pebbles into the river.

My favorite part: on the hike back we discovered the path was lined with wild raspberries. They were yummy. And I kept laughing as we ate them because they were such an unexpected surprise.

lighthouse photo (and directions on how to get there) from Kathryn

1 Lindsay July 16, 2007 at 8:41 am

We just recently got this book from the library. How cool now to see your post about it. What a wonderful summer adventure.

2 liz s July 16, 2007 at 8:51 am

gabby, this little red light house excursion was a tradition of my family’s growing up. it was one of those things that made me realize i lived in a cool enough place in the world that they write books about it. jared and i found when we were engaged that it’s also a great place to make out. hope that didn’t ruin it for anyone :)

3 Lindsey July 16, 2007 at 8:51 am

Gabby–
The link is broken.

Love that book! I want to go see it.

4 Design Mom July 16, 2007 at 9:05 am

Thanks, Lindsey. I fixed the link.

5 laurie July 16, 2007 at 1:38 pm

gabby. this is one of your loveliest posts ever. i think you should add it to your initiation.

6 Lizzy July 16, 2007 at 11:15 pm

i love this book (we got if from rebecca too!) and really regret not making the trek when we lived there. it’s a good reason to move back oneday!

7 miggy July 17, 2007 at 9:55 am

We have a fantastic view overlooking the Hudson, GWB and the little red lighthouse. . . one of the best perks of our student housing apartment. So fun.

8 dawnvalentine September 28, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Oh, it’s so cute. Have you seen the book Morning Glory Monday, by Arlene Alda (yes, wife of Alan). So interesting, check it out.

9 dawnvalentine September 30, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Sorry, actually that book led me to the book 97 Orchard Street, New York: Stories of Immigrant Life (photographed by Arlene Alda) and then to the website of the Lower East Side Tenement Museum (www.tenement.org) – that’s the interesting part!

10 Leenya Rideout October 20, 2008 at 12:55 am

The Little Red Lighthouse is one of my now husband’s and my favorite romantic places in New York City! And lighthouses, because of it, have become a bit of a metaphor for how we are each other’s lights leading us home! So glad others know about this little New York gem…
Leenya Rideout

11 Aparna March 17, 2009 at 4:16 am

Sounds look very interesting, I would read this book in someday.

12 Fabulous Mommy January 13, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I have heard all about this light house so many times. I lived in Washington Heights for 5 years and was never able to find it. Please help me so I can share it with my kids.

13 aila April 29, 2011 at 1:41 am

what a lovely post! I couldnt stop smiling :)