Time For You — by Guest Mom Amy M

May 1, 2007

I always wanted to be a mother, but never understood how tough it really would be. It’s been 7 years now that I’ve felt the emotional toll as I worry about each one, not to mention the physical exhaustion that parenting requires. It has taken me time to get used to this new role: mother, wife, chef, maid, driver, etc. And unfortunately, it’s not something that someone could teach me or even warn me about, I needed to experience and figure it out for yourself.

Motherhood takes a lot out you. Amidst all the chaos and all the things that have to get done during a day it’s so easy to loose sight of one significant person in your life…YOU. Sometimes, we are so concerned with what is going on with everyone else in our life we forget about us. Now I’m not suggesting it’s not important to focus on others, service is a beautiful way to lift your spirits, but it’s really hard to focus on others when we’re doing it with our “spiritual buckets” constantly empty. It works for a while, but eventually we crumble. At least that’s what happens to me, I get angry and resent that I have to do any of it. Not so good.

So this year I decided I needed to give back to myself and what better way to do that than by being creative — something I love/need. Each week, no matter what else I have to do, I make sure I set aside some time to do a creative project. It could be for me, it could be for someone else, it could be big, or small, I don’t care as long as I am filling up my bucket. Wow. What a difference it has made to me in my interaction with those around me. It gives me a sense of accomplishment that I just can’t get from folding laundry. It fills me up and I feel able to give more. Here are a few of the projects I have worked on this year thus far.

Cleaning my studio desk (I could probably do this one every week)

Covering and decorating a pre-made book (journal for my daughter)

Decorating a plain vase

Refurbishing an old piece of furniture to fit my needs (this is for my embellishments)

Making thank you cards

Making gifts (personalized onesie)

Scrapbooking one page or many

Adding color to my favorite accessory (sewing ribbon to my camera strap)

Whether you like to be creative, read a book, exercise, or bake, make sure you do something for you to replenish your spirit so you are better able to give all you can to those you love.

Have a fabulous Tuesday.

Amy

1 esskayelle May 1, 2007 at 7:46 am

great post! i highly agree, there’s a great fulfillment in using your creative energies for fun things around you and the people you love. thanks for posting your creative projects.

2 mamalang May 1, 2007 at 8:02 am

Awesome. I know this, and I was good at it, but my DH has been gone for a few months and won’t be back for a few months, and it’s the busy time of year, and I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

3 Ben and Laura May 1, 2007 at 8:08 am

Loved this post! Thanks for the reminder that it is OK to take time for yourself to do something that makes you happy!
Love the pictures of your projects!

4 designingmama May 1, 2007 at 8:27 am

Ooh! I LOVE the camera strap idea. I’m going to do that!

5 Jordan May 1, 2007 at 8:52 am

You hit it on the nail, Amy.

6 Hannah May 1, 2007 at 9:04 am

The perfect reminder for me today as I am feeling oh so empty lately. Love it Amy.

7 ashlynn May 1, 2007 at 9:40 am

I am going to copy your camera strap ideas as well – so cute. Love the vase too!

8 amy m May 1, 2007 at 10:28 am

Thanks ladies. It’s also a good reminder for me.

9 Design Mom May 1, 2007 at 11:23 am

Amy, the camera strap embellishment is genious. And I love your studio.

10 liz May 1, 2007 at 11:47 am

I have not been a mommy nearly as long, but still find I need this reminder all the time. So very necessary and I have seen too many women hit mid-life-crisis-mode because they lack this simple and crucial notion.

11 Elizabeth May 1, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for the reminder about taking care of me. As always I love your weekly projects.

12 Kristi Brooke May 1, 2007 at 1:47 pm

great post amy…

ribbon on my camera strap is my next project for sure,

13 Queen Scarlett May 1, 2007 at 2:39 pm

LOVE this post. Thanks for giving me great ideas. I’m a novice at all things crafty… how did you do the vase? It’s lovely.

14 Lei May 1, 2007 at 2:59 pm

ok – the ribbon on the camera strap will be happening TODAY! love it!

15 Jennifer Ramos May 1, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Hi there, i absolutely love all the cute little posts you have. The idea with the ribbon and camera strap, how sweet is that?

16 Crystalyn May 1, 2007 at 3:57 pm

boy do i miss those days right now! can’t wait to start up again. you are so right that time replenishes.

as always, LOVE your projects.

17 Bonny Brae May 1, 2007 at 3:58 pm

i too love the camera strap touch.

most excellent.

18 Shauna May 1, 2007 at 5:41 pm

Smart Mom! Great project ideas!

19 Kelly May 1, 2007 at 5:57 pm

As always, love your projects. They are inspiring in so many ways, and today you reminded me that it has been a while since I’ve done anything creative to fill myself up. Thanks, Amy!

20 Tania May 1, 2007 at 11:24 pm

Amy, you’re my favorite guest Mom yet! I just last weekend decided to desigate Thursday nights as a night I do something for me – laundry and dishes be damned! Looking forward to the rest of the week. Also – please share how you made the vase, and what kind of needle was a match for your camera strap (I’m going to copy that one.)

21 zobars May 2, 2007 at 1:07 am

I absolutely love all your projects that you have shown and you are such a crafty person that I get inspired to do something as well although I am no where near an expert crafter but as you said in your comment about giving time to yourself I need to do more of that. Because I just don’t want to be an angry and tired mom for my kids. Thanks for inspiring all of us Amy. Kudos to designmom for selecting you as a guest mom.

22 Lil May 2, 2007 at 1:47 am

awesome, awesome, AWESOME!! Now if I can just MAKE the time!

Funnies aside, this is something I’ve thought about lately as my wee 2yr old is becoming easier to care for (read: less exhausting). This is very inspiring Amy…especially this time of year when I can feel my old creativity bone reviving with Spring! Thank you…

Lil

23 Jenni May 2, 2007 at 9:03 am

love your work space

24 amy m May 2, 2007 at 7:15 pm

Thank you all. You’ve certainly made my day.

queen scarlett and Tania I just used american craft rubons on the vase. So simple and quick.

Also Tania I don’t know the size needle I used. It was just the one I use on all my sewing projects. I for sure thought the needle would break but it worked perfectly. Just go slow.

25 mushroomgarden May 7, 2007 at 10:06 pm

I love this idea! personalizing our camera! Simply LUVVVV this idea!