Ask Design Mom: Simple Doormats

May 1, 2007

Ask-Design-Mom Question:
We live in a New York apartment building. We’ve been living here for almost 2 years and still don’t have a “welcome” mat at the front door because I haven’t found anything I like. I don’t want anything too cutesy, or to say welcome even. Just nice and clean. I don’t like any of the ones at bed bath and beyond and I’m not sure where else to look. Help! Thanks, Sarah

Design Mom Answer:
We have so much mud being tracked through the house these days (April showers and all) that doormats are on my mind as well, Sarah. Thank you for the great question. Here are some of the doormats I’m looking at:

This simple rubber lattice doormat from Smith & Hawken.

This metal/bristle doormat from Conran Shop (which is sadly out of stock, but I’m crossing my fingers they’ll get a new shipment soon).

The Garden Gate doormat from Crate & Barrel. Not necessarily “simple” but I love the pattern and contrast.

The Teak doormat from Gardener’s Supply Company.

And my all-time favorite, the Mando Door Mat from Ikea. We have owned this mat at two different homes and I still find it highly appealing. So simple and so interesting at the same time. The red circle makes it feel Japanesey.

Design Mom Readers, where do you find great doormats?

1 jen May 1, 2007 at 7:52 am

Target. While I usually don’t like a lot of them, they usually have one that is simple and clean. And since they are cheap(er), I don’t mind that they get all muddy and mucky!

2 Jenmomof4 May 1, 2007 at 9:05 am

Happy May Day!

3 lainakay May 1, 2007 at 10:04 am

I have been ogling the rubber lattice door mat at Smith and Hawken for years! It’s a classic. Just waiting to redo my front porch… someday(sigh)!

I second the Target recommendation. When I was in the store the other day they had one that caught my eye. It had pebbles embedded in rubber so it just looked like a rectangle of pretty little pebbles. Different! Sorry, couldn’t find it on the website. Check the store, though, they had lots of options when I was there!

4 Anonymous May 1, 2007 at 10:58 am

Costco!

5 Keli May 1, 2007 at 11:10 am

Target, for sure. Also, QVC has some very functional Don Aslett doormats that hold a large amount of sand and such. A good idea for kids or a back door. Not real cute though.

6 Biddy May 1, 2007 at 12:38 pm

new reader here…and I also highly reccommend Target for doormats! I have gotten some really great ones from there, and always look to see if they have any new ones when I go!

7 dandee May 1, 2007 at 1:15 pm

I have been having a hard time finding a non-tacky doormat in my area and the Crate & Barrel one is just what I have been searching for! Thanks!

8 janeannechovy May 1, 2007 at 2:23 pm

I have one I got from cspost.com that’s coir with “Front door” printed on it. I don’t see it there now. For my next mat, I’m considering one of the recycled flip-flop ones.

9 Lei May 1, 2007 at 3:01 pm

World Market (Cost Plus) or target… I currently have one “Japanese-y” that I love… natural colored (liek the IKEA that you posted) with a black vine of flowers in one corner.

10 love.boxes May 1, 2007 at 5:55 pm

A good rough mat like that will save your floor, help you allergies and keep the dust down. I have one at every entrance point. Love those.

11 Anonymous May 1, 2007 at 7:14 pm

I’ve gotten a good ones at Mervyns and at Pier 1. And I have to say, as ugly as they are, the plastic astro-turf one is the BEST for keeping mud out, but I only use that one at the garage entrance.

12 lainakay May 1, 2007 at 8:30 pm

I mentioned the pebble door mat at Target in a previous comment. Go here to see something similar. The one at Target has smaller, more irregular pebbles.

13 Jaime May 1, 2007 at 8:54 pm

i vote for the garden gate mat. i don’t have a garden and therefore try to live vicariously through other forms – why not a door mat? great find!

14 Stephanie May 1, 2007 at 11:41 pm

As a housewarming gift my friend bought us a doormat from Williams Sonoma with an initial and a simple border. We loved it them and love it now.

15 Rachel H May 2, 2007 at 12:41 am

We have some wonderful frenchy-wrought iron ones I got at one of my favorite stores called Old Time Pottery. They are so stylish and will stand the test of time, as well as being inexpensive!! Check for locations at http://www.oldtimepottery.com

16 tara July 28, 2007 at 9:39 am

there are some very unique, handpainted doormats at downtownsuperstar.com :)

17 Jesper November 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Check out http://www.mat-ters.co.uk where you can find a collecion of indoor and outdoor doormats.

18 Lisa September 23, 2013 at 1:58 am

I love that crate and barrel doormat design. Recently purchase a personalized doormat from http://www.cocomatsnmore.com and love it. They have an amazing selection of both personalized and design doormats.