Ask Design Mom: Fabric Storage

May 25, 2007

Ask-Design-Mom Question:
Design Mom, I assume I am not the only person in this pickle. I’m looking for ideas of ways to store my fabric stash in as small a space as possible, yet also in a way that lets me easily keep track of (and remember to use) what I have. My current system of plastic totes under my bed is definitely not working! (see the picture below) — Emily

Design Mom Answer:
I love seeing fabric stashes, Emily! Organized or disorganized, the colors and textures are so pretty. I want to put some more thought into this, but in the meantime, maybe some clever Design Mom Readers will share their own fabric storage solutions with us.

1 Alyssa Coberly May 25, 2007 at 8:54 am

blueprint magazine had a great idea this past month … they bought magazine holders from IKEA (you know the plain wood ones) and then attached to them to the wall and sorted by color … you kinda have to see it but it did work really good because you can see them … i think that a shoes organizer would work good too …the clear ones that hang over the back of the door – lots of spaces … not a lot of room

2 Biddy May 25, 2007 at 11:26 am

oh my goodness…i am in the same pickle…i could seriously open up a fabric store in my house!

3 Kara May 25, 2007 at 6:40 pm

I just bought pretty two bookcases on Craigslist to store/display my fabric.

I have decided that I love seeing the colors and patterns so much that I might as well put them on display like stacks of books. . . only prettier!

4 janeannechovy May 28, 2007 at 11:25 pm

When my parents moved after 25 years in the same house, I inherited all my mom’s fabric. I cut a swatch from the end of each piece and stapled them to 4×6 index cards, with a notation saying how much of it there was and which bin it was in. If I have a project I can just pull out the cards and see if I have any likely candidates already on hand before I head to the fabric store.

5 Megan Ciucci March 26, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I have the same problem! My solution (for now) was to clean out a bottom drawer from the file cabinet I keep in my home office (which is doubles as a play room for the kids). Since it’s a file cabinet it’s pretty deep and wide so I can easily access the fabric stash and see what I have…….

6 addie barnett August 5, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I just have mine in these silver rubbermaid bins I got from walmart. They stack in the corner beside my machine and I label them with masking tape and a marker. Practical, but neat.

7 nalan September 20, 2010 at 3:12 am

ben ikea kutulkarına koyuyor ve saklıyorum

8 nalan September 20, 2010 at 3:12 am

ben ikea kutularına koyuyor ve saklıyorum

9 mary February 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Love showing off fabric AND keeping it organized. Here are some things
that work for me, plus more I am going to try.. Store fabric at eye level in clear plastic bins, not too big, with like colors and label the outside of the boxes with the color(s)

Mount a smallish wooden cubby, like the one from Pottery Barn on the wall and have smaller swatches of fabric grouped in the cubbies. Great for working on color combos.

Hang one or more multi tiered trouser hangers on multiple wall hook with fabric over the dowels

Arrange fabric in wall hanging magazine racks…

Now to find the source of the lovely wall mounted wire letter rack for my fabric. If anyone knows the source? Thank you!

10 Erin February 17, 2012 at 10:33 am

I’m going insane… I have been to every store in the area, and have searched online for hours and cannot find anything like this letter organizer that I could use for my fabric… HELP!!! Does anyone know where I can get one???