Ask Design Mom: Dinnerware for Kids

May 15, 2007

Ask-Design-Mom Question:
I’m new to your site, so I’m not sure if you’ve covered this topic before, but I wondered if you’ve found any nice dinnerware for kids — not too cutesy, definitely not gender-specific. I found one shallow but largish bowl in an op shop which has funky jungle animals accosting each other signed by K. Motonobu but can’t find anything to match it or even to rival its affections at our dinnertable!
Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Lauren (in Queensland, Australia)

Design Mom Answer:
Hi Lauren! Great question. I am also on a perpetual quest for good children’s dinnerware. There are dozens of lovely choices in melamine these days, but I do have issues with melamine’s non-microwave-ability. So I was delighted to see these rubber options.

Virtually unbreakable. A plate, a bowl and a cup in lots of mix-and-match bright choices (greens and blues too). And completely fine in a microwave.

If you don’t share my melamine issue, Giggle also has several other cute options. I especially like the Groovy Dots Dishware and the Snack Sets (pictured at top).

What about you Design Mom Readers? What have you seen lately in great-looking dishware for kids?

I first spotted the rubber dishware on Tangled and True.

1 Girl con Queso May 15, 2007 at 8:08 am

I completely love these. Great finds.

2 jen May 15, 2007 at 8:13 am

Oh, I am so glad to see I am not the only one with melamine/microwave issues!
:) jen

3 Blue House Mom May 15, 2007 at 8:35 am

I don’t know how great looking it is, but I was thinking of using Corelle. Thin, won’t break easily, microwavable.

4 H May 15, 2007 at 8:42 am

Hello Queensland, Australia!

Hailey

5 love.boxes May 15, 2007 at 8:42 am

The microwave deal is kind of a pain.

6 kelli May 15, 2007 at 8:59 am

I ordered the rubber inside out plates after learning about them and LOVE them. I agree with the messiness of melamine and the microwave {or even the dishwasher}. Rubber is the solution. And they were suprisingly bigger than I had expected. Like, adult sized “bigger.” Fun finds. :)

7 sarah May 15, 2007 at 11:25 am

Target has some great melamine vintage cafeteria trays. My kids are loving them! Great for summer picnic foods, when everything’s served cool anyway – no need to microwave.

8 Julie May 15, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Love the colorful dots. I want that plate for myself!

9 Lei May 15, 2007 at 3:31 pm

ditto the limited functionality of melamine, although it’s look has really been updated with some extremely fun designs. i am also aprtial to IKEA’s plasticware. but those rubber plates and cups you’ve pcitured are the perfect go between! thanks!

10 zobars May 15, 2007 at 5:18 pm

I think Ikea makes some good plates and bowls for kids. Also I have used the disposable forks and spoons by Dixie that are very nice and they are so much cheaper as well.

11 Josh May 15, 2007 at 7:17 pm

We got our kids dinnerwear at Ikea – before we even had kids I believe. It was plastic, lots of colors and you could get a stack of dishes for like $2. The lasted quite well, but when they were starting to look worn we just tossed them. We have to do with Wal-Mart plates until May 23rd when the Utah Ikea opens. Ole’!!!

12 Lauren May 16, 2007 at 4:19 am

Thanks so much. But they don’t ship to Australia (sigh). At least I know some great designs exist…

Ikea’s kids’ plates are too plasticy, too blah and ordinary for me.

I try to never use the microwave anyway, so melamine is still a possibility!

13 kiwibaby July 20, 2007 at 11:02 pm

Can anyone tell me the manufacturers details for the plastic/rubber inside out dinnerware???

14 Anonymous December 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm

where can i find the inside out collection from giggle? they don’t sell it on their site anymore and i cannot find non-melamine or non-plastic kid’s dinnerware!