Ask Design Mom: Craft Room Paint Color

May 23, 2007

Ask-Design-Mom-Question:
Hi Design Mom, I have a design question. I have a large-ish craft room, with unfinished cabinets and white walls that I need to paint. I am having some serious issues with this project. Do I paint the cabinets white and the walls a color? Or do I paint the cabinets a color, and keep the walls white? Help? And do you have any color suggestions, ’cause I could soooo use some help with that too!
I am looking for something “fresh & funky” and I really like the turquoise & robins egg blues, the chocolates, the mustard yellow, the basic white — I guess kind of like my blog colors. — Mandee

Design Mom Answer:
Great question Mandee. I’ll defer to my talented Design Mom Readers while I’m at the Stationery Show. . .

image from Oh Happy Day

{ 2 trackbacks }

discontent «
July 23, 2011 at 4:03 pm
Craft Room Inspiration « Wonderfully Made Pursuits
November 9, 2011 at 8:12 am

1 kate May 23, 2007 at 6:49 am

I would paint the walls a color and the shelves white. Fabric and crafts will look much better on the clean and crisp white .

2 Carrie, The Modern Housewife May 23, 2007 at 7:06 am

I like the one you’ve posted here. It looks like Restoration Hardware’s Silver Sage. RH has a very nice color palatte, which you might want to check out.

3 Alyssa Coberly May 23, 2007 at 8:21 am

ya i would go with white cabinets and colored walls … i dont know about you but i get the itch to change paint colors every 2 or 3 years and its much easier to repaint walls then it is to repaint cabinets (think about all that sanding!)

4 love.boxes May 23, 2007 at 8:43 am

I vote for white cabinets and very brightly colored walls. It’s a craft room so you can go nuts!

5 Melis May 23, 2007 at 9:12 am

I agree with the others about paintingt he cabinets white and the walls you color du jour. It’s practival if there is a remote chance that you’ll be repainting them in the near future (2-3 yrs), but I did have another thought… What about painting everything, cabinets and all the same color. This would make the cabinets “fade” into the wall, creating more space to the eye and also give you a giant “canvas” on which to paint more of your creativity. Just a thought…

6 Keli May 23, 2007 at 10:03 am

I say go crazy! Ikea has cute polka dot wallpaper, maybe use that on the cabinet doors, and use a cute contrasting color for the walls. It’s a craft room after all, use your talents! If only we could all be so lucky to have a largeish craft room like yours!

7 Jessica May 23, 2007 at 10:12 am

I agree with everyone else. The white cabinets would stand out against the painted wall, but also blend together to look less cluttered.

8 Anonymous May 23, 2007 at 10:50 am

ok–i’m going to go totally against the grain on this one. i say leave the walls a very stark white (or depending on your personality a lushy cream) then use all the blues you love as colors for the cabinet fronts(but leave the base of the cabinet white). turquoise, robin’s egg, cerulean, midnight, indigo…also splurge on really cool hardware, maybe from anthropologie or something for the cabinets as well. then depending on how cluttered or uncluttered you tend to be in your craft room you can add some fun stuff to the walls. i do like the idea of the polka dot wallpaper, but what if you got a few different choices, even wrapping paper you liked, attatched it to the white walls in big 4′x6′ squares and put molding around it to frame it in the same colors from the cabinets. then you could use the large framed areas for ever transitioning crafts that want to be displayed for a time and then transferred out. even consider including the color scheme on the floor…cement floors look awesome with huge squares of color

9 Laurel May 23, 2007 at 12:29 pm

Dear Mandee-

I want a craft room to decorate, but since I don’t I will help you with yours…I would go with classic and clean since craft rooms tend to get a little messy. I adore white shelves next to a bright color…green or blue are nice soothing colors…maybe even a stripe. I am pretty conservative so I would do simple with the things that are more permanent and go crazy sassy with accessories.

10 stringbing May 23, 2007 at 12:30 pm

I HAVE to agree with a previous comment. I absolutely love the paint colors that Restoration Hardware offers!! Silver Sage is a favorite color of mine…my kitchen is done in this color. Silver Sage looks fabulous with bright white, black & silver. Good luck!

11 Biddy May 23, 2007 at 1:42 pm

Oh to have a room strictly for crafts…don’t i wish…

Anyway, my kitchen is my favorite room in the house and I think the pallette would be perfect for a craft room: The paint is from Lowe’s..the walls are Apple 4 in a satin finish (a bright but not overbearing or blinding granny smith apple green) and the cabinets are Clean White in a semi gloss finish. I love the Clean White because it is well, clean, and not “institutional” you know? Oh! and my curtains are white with black polka dots…so fun!

12 Julie May 23, 2007 at 11:15 pm

I have Silver Sage in my bedroom. It is beautiful and calming, but not much fun. Use something daring for your craft room. Check out Soule Mama’s new color.

13 HeatherAnne May 24, 2007 at 1:36 am

A craft room already contains every color of the rainbow and then some. Your crafts themselves will add the color. Paint everything white…everything…and let the crafts show off their own colors!

14 kristi brooke May 24, 2007 at 9:01 pm

no advice, but i hope someday i get to go to the stationery show.

15 chrism August 2, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Chris;

I have the same problem, my oldest son just moved out and I am a big scrapper, so I have this empty room and lots to add. I love the color silver sage and I already have white cabinets and desk. I will have to agree with a prior comment the crafts themselves will make the room pop!

16 chrism August 2, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I have the same issue. My son moved out and I now have this big empty room. I am a big scrapper so the room as become mine all mine. I love the color silver sage and I already have white cabinets and desk. I will have to agree with a prior comment, that the crafts themselves will make the room pop!

17 Anonymous October 2, 2008 at 10:20 am

I’m new to this site and would like to know where to find/purchase the desk/work station in the pic of original post.

18 Trish July 12, 2013 at 11:07 am

Hi! I have one and my hubby just purchased one for himself!!!
We ordered from Improvements catalogue. It is featured as craft table. It’s not cheap, but it is soooooo great! lots of space and nice cubbies.

19 Doreen Martinez May 21, 2009 at 12:48 am

This room is beautiful. You might be interested in the beautiful and funcitonal furniture at the following website. Take a look. The workbox in particular is amazing.

doreen martinez
martinezpartyofthree@gmal.com

20 Kat Bass May 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Your color choice will be defined on what type of mood you want your room to be. Blues, light greens, yellow are sootheing colors, yellows and orange bases are bright cheery and earthy tones of brown, beige, taupe, etc go with everything. I’ve heard that red is an irritant, so you might want to steer clear of it. If your furniture is white, it’s easier to find other pieces to match it, but if you paint it, it will be harded to match if you want to expand your current ‘stash’ of filing and organizational items.

21 Kerri June 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Where did all this furniture actually come from?