Tuesday Letter to cjane — by Guest Mom Nie Nie

April 3, 2007

Sister,

How was your dinner? Did Andrew devour the black bean burgers? Yum. Next time you make them, you must make this little bean medley called Cowboy Caviar. It is a good mix of just the right tastes of what spring is. Side dishes are crucial to a good meal you know. Split open the chips and immerse to your hearts content.

2 cups corn

2 cups black-eyes peas
1 cup chopped tomato
1 bunch cilantro
1 sm. Bunch green onions, chopped
2 avacados, chopped
1 t. cumin
1/8 t. pepper
_ t. salt
_ cup olive oil
2 cloes garlic
mix well.

I have been thinking about your tinted chap stick inspiration. I think I have discovered a winner. Murad Pomegranate Lip Therapy hit the spot.

While on the subject of make-up, Oliver continues to put my make-up on. He wakes up at 6:30 each morning, and while I am sleeping, he is applying.

He has single-handedly destroyed my mascara. While in my searches for the finest mascara out there, I came across this. Shu Uemura makes this lovely product that is thick and adds serious volume.

I’m a fan…are you?

For decorating eggs this year all one needs is eggs and very thick glitter.

The glitter adds so much sparkle and pizzazz to the pastel traditional Easter egg. I also plan on hanging them from a live branch I cut from the garden. That way, in a few days when the blossoms on the branch bloom, I will have a live Easter egg tree.

What are you going to wear for the hunt? What about Easter dinner? I am determined to wear my Easter hat to church. Do you have one?

I wish I could spend the holiday with you. I will miss you.

Loves,
Nie

1 compulsive writer April 3, 2007 at 8:15 am

Dear Nie Nie,

Thank you! Thank you! I have tried something similar to your cowboy caviar, but lacked the recipe to make it at home. I can’t wait!

I’m also going to try the Pomegranate Lip Therapy. I can’t get enough of the pomegranate products at Bath & Body Works. It smells so good I could almost eat it. I guess with lip therapy you almost are. Eating it, I mean.

Have a terrific Tuesday!

CW

2 Leisha April 3, 2007 at 9:39 am

I’m a fan of anything with cilantro, yum! Love the idea of a live Easter tree hung with glitter eggs…I think you’ll find a tree down south with similar adornment this week!

3 pflower10 April 3, 2007 at 10:03 am

NIe Nie,

I am so excited about the products that you have highlighted! I am going to order them right away! I am always looking for a great lip therepy and mascara! How do you find these great finds?

I am going to make the Cowboy Caviar post haste! I love a great chip dip. Which kind of chips do you recommend?

What a cute idea with the eggs!

I can’t wait to learn all about your new home.

The sweaters are so precious. I noticed them when you showed your moblie for Mr Nicholas but I didn’t have a way to comment on them. Your mom’s nana was so talented. That is a lost art for sure.

You are very talented Miss Nie NIe!

heart, heart
PF10

4 pflower10 April 3, 2007 at 10:14 am

ps. I forgot to tell you how adorable Oliver looks in your makeup!

UM…..I have to confess that I bought those same Jammies for my DAUGHTER. When I put them on her I laughed about how I bought her boy jammies. Poor girl. So if you need another pair for Mr N I can send them to you. They are a size 18-24mo and have only been worn once.

Just a thought

5 nie nie April 3, 2007 at 10:26 am

CW-good luck with the cowboy caviar…it is to DIE for, seriously! I have a small confession, I sometimes eat my lip glosses.

Leisha-are the south into Easter trees?

PF10-i love the scooper chips because you can get a hearty scoop of the goodness…its ok that your daughter has those jammies, really who cares?
mr. n would love them if you are done though…we would have tweeners.
kisses
nie

6 Bek April 3, 2007 at 11:00 am

Nie, I am laughing becuase my son ALSO got into the make up this morning AND we have a giant bowl of cowboy caviar in our fridge at all times. My kids eat it by the bowlful (no chips, no sides..they are weird….) and I love it on salad, eggs, chicken, etc. It is to die for. For extra punch, try adding red wine vinegar, My recipie has that in it and it adds a little bit more zip (if you want some). In fact, I am going to go eat some for breakfast…

I love that you know so many pretty things. I am going to try the black bean burgers soon.

Lucy has a farm? Like, with animals? Wow!

7 Kiki April 3, 2007 at 11:06 am
8 Kiki April 3, 2007 at 11:09 am

I have also had something similar to the caviar, except it was made with black beans, and instead of oil, the maker used the Brianna’s vinagrette (the one with the artichoke on the label). It’s so tasty, and my favorite chips to eat it with are blue chips. SO YUMMY!

9 ~cari~ April 3, 2007 at 11:11 am

Dear Nie Nie,

First of all, I love your blog! You have the cutest family and you are so lucky to have cjane as your sister! (as I’m sure you know!) I love your letters this week. Makes me want to write my sister!

Thanks for the recipe for the cowboy caviar. Sound delicious and can’t wait to try it!

I also love the sweaters! How neat that your grandmother made them! Knowing that makes them that much more beautiful! The fish are pretty awesome too. So cute!

Have a great day!
Cari

10 c jane April 3, 2007 at 12:41 pm

Cari, you can write to me. Or, I could just walk a few blocks and visit you.
Kiki that link was so dang funny. Laughing out loud. Watching again and again…shoot.
Bek, Lucy’s farm is all about produce. Beats, tomatoes, beans, potatoes, corn as high as an elephant’s eye, it’s like a few acres. Aren’t you amazed?

11 Leisha April 3, 2007 at 1:15 pm

No, I haven’t seen many Easter trees here in our part of TX (any other Texans out there?) but with your inspiration our lone egg tree will be a trendsetter! Love it! My kids are really excited. Between that and the wheat grass a la Design Mom our Easter table will be bee-you-tea-full!

12 Emily April 3, 2007 at 2:37 pm

You girls are so cool.

Nie, is that the recipe Sarah uses? If it is, I think there is supposed to be red wine vinegar.

13 uncle Lin April 3, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Cjane,
did you get a reservation to the Applebee’s this sunday for easter? I hope so, it was super fun last year.

14 uncle Lin April 3, 2007 at 4:56 pm

by the way, you all got those cowboy caviar recipes from my ol’ lady!

15 liz April 3, 2007 at 5:14 pm

he totally looks like robert smith!

16 christopher clark April 3, 2007 at 6:57 pm

Dear Nie Nie,

You are saying it’s WRONG to put make-up on little boys? I have been doing that for years. Now my boys are into perfectly healthy things like “Bratz” dolls and Amanda Bynes movies. Just let Oliver be himself!

Love,

JP

17 Bek April 3, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Is there anything that the Clarks girls can’t do? How awesome is that? How does Lucy eat her beets? I love them and need new ideas….

18 ash April 3, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Just adding to the praise! Can’t wait for another letter.

19 nie nie April 3, 2007 at 11:09 pm

the only way to eat beets is with vinegar and salt…

i love you all