Ask Design Mom: Tablecloths

April 4, 2007

Ask-Design-Mom Question:
Hi Design Mom,
I’m hooked on you and your site. I have a kitchen table that I don’t especally love and we’re hoping to get a new one. But, in the meantime I’m looking for a table cloth or cool placemats that can distract the eye from the actual table. Do you have any ideas? Thanks! — Missy

Design Mom Answer:
Great question, Missy. Ever since you emailed me a few weeks ago, I’ve been keeping my eyes open for pretty table linens — mostly tablecloths — since you’re looking to hide your current table. Here are a few that made my heart flutter a bit.

Because it’s just plain gorgeous:

A graceful print from Atelier LZC (I sure do love everything I’ve seen from their studio):

Probably the most inspired option I’ve seen lately. By Lotta Jansdotter Tang. (Also featured above.):

Because I love navy and white when the weather warms:

Check out the subtle and gorgeous botanical patterning. I would love to feel this fabric in my hands:

And a 1950′s daisy print available on etsy:

This is just a drop in the bucket, Missy — a person could dedicate a whole blog just to beautiful table linens — but I hope this inspires you to find something pretty. Design Mom Readers, please do chime in with info on any unusually pretty table linens you’ve seen lately.

1 love.boxes April 4, 2007 at 10:31 am

Love the daisy print, vintage look.

2 Distressed can be a good thing April 4, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Love the top picture of the worn table/chest and beautiful linen. I am not sure the condition of the table Missy is distressing about, but I LOVE ANYTHING DISTRESSED. I mean the kind of distressing that comes from living. I just imagine every hand that touched that piece and the stories it could tell. I bought a dining table on Ebay (should say I stole it on Ebay because I got it so cheap)and I just imagine the many people who sat around it and made memories just as my family are. Maybe her table just needs some TLC and some pretty linens.

3 Missy April 4, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Thank you for your help Design Mom! I am in love with the Anthropologie one.

And while I do love the distressed look, our current table is more like a card table rather than one passed down from generations with stories to tell. I think the Anthro tablecloth is sure to help.

4 Jordan April 4, 2007 at 1:02 pm

Gabby, so happy to find you, albeit virtually. Wonderful site.

5 Anonymous April 4, 2007 at 1:41 pm
to die for!

6 sara April 5, 2007 at 10:28 am

i just bought some awesome placemats that are made by chilewich. this is vinyl woven together in interesting patterns and colors; very cool looking and easy to care for (you just rinse them off in the sink.) they have table runners as well that look neat on a table. go to to look at them. good luck!

7 Jolanta December 27, 2009 at 3:12 pm

If anyone is looking for solid color tablecloths this store has very good prices.