Trough Sink

March 15, 2007

I love two ideas from an article in the Feb/Mar Home Companion Magazine.

The article was about a family with several young sons, and when renovating their bathroom, the mother had this trough sink built. I’m not sure why this is so much more appealing to me than a traditional counter with two or three sinks, but it is. I love the idea of seeing a few of my kids brushing their teeth at the same time. And I love that the sink is really big — perfect for teenage girls who are helping their friends experiment with hair color.

Also, I’ve probably mentioned this before, but I’m an advocate of hooks for towels in the bathroom as compared to standard towel rods. You can fit many more towels in the same space, and kids can hang the towels themselves, easily. In humid areas, they seem to dry out better this way as well.

1 chloe's mom March 15, 2007 at 10:19 am

Kat … this is the sink that I mentioned that I want you to put in your new house. I love it – I would also include a urinal for a house full of boys.

2 jordan March 15, 2007 at 10:26 am

That trough sink is awesome.

3 Julie P March 15, 2007 at 11:10 am

LOVE that sink. We’re going to replace our towel bar with hooks, too.

4 Leisha March 15, 2007 at 11:33 am

Love the sink! Someday…

5 anniepall March 15, 2007 at 1:14 pm

i LOVE the trough sink idea. that is very cool.

and i’m a big fan of towel hooks too. that is all we have here and it just looks better than trying to uniformly hang a towel on a rod.

6 christen March 15, 2007 at 6:03 pm

Wow! I’d love to have this sink. Unfortunately, it would probably only fit in my basement.

7 Denise March 15, 2007 at 6:49 pm

That is the sink I want! I hate these small little sinks. Kids can’t seem to aim for them and they are not deep enough for any useful purpose. That sink rocks! You could bathe kids in it.

8 The Daring One March 15, 2007 at 10:47 pm

That’s gorgeous. I would so install something like that in our dream home. Am I a dork that I’ve never even seen one like that?

9 Azúcar March 16, 2007 at 2:22 am

Imagine the ease of cleanup–not so much counter to get cluttered. I think we have a full bathroom remodel soon in our future, and these are all great ideas.

10 ashlynn March 16, 2007 at 11:15 am

I have done a few jobs where they use trough sinks – made or concrete or copper. It functions & looks great. I also agree with the hooks – who uses towel bars anyway?

11 italia April 9, 2007 at 11:13 am

Luv that sink!! I am a designer and looking for one to put in 3 boys bathroom. Where did u find it?

12 Anonymous June 2, 2009 at 11:42 am

Where did you find this sink?

13 Anonymous June 13, 2009 at 1:34 am

I am planning a beach cabin and would like to include this trough sink in the kids bath. Will you please pass along information as to where I may buy one? I have checked salvage stores and cannot seem to locate. Perhaps there is a company that makes reproductions.
Any help would be wonderful. Love your site. Thank you for all that you do. Heidi

14 Anonymous August 8, 2009 at 5:28 am

I love that sink and have been looking for one for a while now. Where did you get it and do they make a double sink instead of a triple?

15 Anna-Katrin February 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm

LOVE that sink too, I just wish it wasn't so expensive! It is made by Kohler and I believe you can get it with 2, 3, or 4 faucets.

16 Kayla June 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Dang, the picture isn’t there anymore! My husband and I are gathering inspiration to build our next house and I remembered loving this picture. I’ve been googling like crazy but haven’t found it…any chance you might know where to find it again?

17 bryan February 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Like your latest, I was too born May 7th, albeit in 1977! Do you have a link to the image of the mentioned trough sink? as per Kayla’s request last year, would love to see it, in consideration for a bathroom in our self build.

18 sophie May 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm

i have been looking for a three faucets sink!!!! do you have any addresses where i could find one????

19 walmart garcinia cambogia March 23, 2013 at 8:32 am

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site? My website is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Appreciate it!|