Shopping for Sam: Christmas for My Kids Part II — by Guest Mom Kacy Faulconer

December 7, 2006

My 9-year-old Sam wants only ties and stacking cups for Christmas, bless his heart. Does anyone know what the deal is with these speed stack cups? I mean, is it a big mistake for me to get him some because it’s actually the lamest thing ever?

I’ve sort of fallen into a scouting theme. Is my son particularly into cub scouts? Not really. But when a theme takes hold of me I run with it. His big present is a tent. It only cost 19$ but you have to take into account the visual impact of the thing on Christmas morning. His stocking will be hung up outside of it and around it will be placed a hybrid flashlight, a huge bunch of Barebooks, and a Boy Scout version of Monopoly.

Inside the tent will be . . . a glorious pyramid of stacking cups celebrated with streamers of TIES!

To read, I got him James Herriot’s All Creatures Great and Small. This might be a little advanced for him, but I read and loved it at his age. Of course, I was dealing with abandonment issues from my veterinarian father so that might have been the draw for me. At any rate, I hope he likes it.

To listen to, I got him The Johnny Cash Children’s Album. I think he will love it. Sam fancies himself a Johnny Cash fan, you know.

Last but not least, Sam will be getting a Far Side desk calendar. I’m so excited that he’s finally ready for the Far Side. Didn’t you always get a Far Side calendar for Christmas? I did. And now Sam will. And it will always be funny.

1 compulsive writer December 7, 2006 at 10:07 am

I loved James Herriot. I’ve read it so many times. Thanks for the reminder–I’ve got two kids right now bugging me for something good to read.

2 Anonymous December 7, 2006 at 11:16 am

speed stacking is so much fun. i have several nieces and nephews who do it for hours on end! there is so much that is so great about speed stacking…it’s physical, engages the brain and uses creativity. i can’t wait for my kids to be old enough for them. a perfect gift for sure!

3 Bek December 7, 2006 at 11:53 am

I have seen kids in this area do it too….it is kind of amazing. I love that it takes practice and skill but at the same time isn’t a computer game…. who knew it could be so cool.

There was a really cool documentary a stacking competition in the NYC area. It came out about a year ago…but I can’t remember the name right now….maybe another reader can help out on that one..

4 Design Mom December 7, 2006 at 1:40 pm

Stacking cups is one of the sports they cover in Gym at our school. And since Ralph and Sam seem to have basically identical interests, I’m thinking these would make a great addition to Ralph’s Christmas pile as well.

5 Kacy December 7, 2006 at 1:46 pm

It’s a sport?! That makes me feel even better about it. We’re not what you’d call “jocks.” Then again, maybe we are.

6 Anonymous December 7, 2006 at 2:57 pm

I love the presentation idea of setting up the tent with ties as streamers! I need to work on my Christmas presentation skills.

7 lisa v. clark December 7, 2006 at 4:33 pm

You’ve inspired me to step it up when it comes to presentation Xmas morning. Topher never wants to wrap anything (read: lazy) and I want to wrap everything (read: crazy). I think you just saved our marriage.

8 Anonymous December 7, 2006 at 4:37 pm

We were a huge presentation family…and I love the idea of doing it now for my kids.
One thing I loved was when we woke up there were balloons and candies all over the floor. (ps: I love the candy cane idea) When we went down stairs our presents were wrapped, but they were wrapped in huge boxes. Everything. Nothing was left out and each kid had their own huge box. It was so much fun to go through your box…then of course, the box turns into a toy for the day as well. I love Christmas.

9 Anonymous December 8, 2006 at 8:42 am

My middle child is always talking about it…they learned it in GYM last year. I think she is getting a set of those for Christmas too! And that Johnny Cash album might be right up her alley too! Thanks for sharing!