Stories at Night

October 11, 2006

We have a wonderful Halloween tradition we’ve practiced for the last 4 or 5 years: For bedtime stories in October we gather in the living room, light spooky candles and read scary stories in the flickering light. At the end of the stories each child gets to blow out a candle.
I can’t believe how much my kids look forward to this ritual. And I do to. Bedtime stories around our house can get a little out of control — sometimes filling an hour or more and eating up that precious evening worktime — and our October tradition helps me reign things in without being a mean mom.

We’ve attempted to do something similar, in November with Thanksgiving stories and in December with Christmas stories, and met with limited success. What is it about October?

Our Halloween story collection is quite small and added to irregularly, so we supplement with library books. Some books we like: Pumpkin Moonshine, Jeb Scarecrow’s Pumpkin Patch, The Spider and the Fly, and In a Dark, Dark Wood.

Halloween candle pic via Jago Illustration.

{ 3 trackbacks }

Fun Halloween Family Traditions
October 27, 2010 at 9:33 am
Bone Soup | Appenheimer
October 24, 2011 at 12:13 pm
Kid-Friendly Halloween TraditionsCool School Solutions
October 20, 2013 at 9:40 pm

1 robin k October 11, 2006 at 3:07 pm

You guys are great parents!!

2 Design Mom October 11, 2006 at 7:04 pm

Robin K, one of our favorite Halloween books (the one about Jeb Scarecrow) is from you. Thank you.

3 Girl con Queso October 11, 2006 at 9:32 pm

I LOVE it! What a cool tradition. You are making some fantastic memories!

4 ashlynn October 12, 2006 at 12:55 pm

Great idea – I will have to remember that one.

5 Kathryn October 13, 2006 at 11:54 am

Our favorite Halloween story is Mousekin’s Golden House, not scary but very cute about what happens to a pumpkin after Halloween and how a mouse inhabits it.

I loved your ghosts in your windows!

6 marygoose October 21, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I'm going to have to try stories at night. It's something my children, ages 8,6 and 2 would all love. Our FAVORITE halloween book is John Pig's Halloween. The illustrations are wonderful and the story is super fun to read aloud.

7 Sue Kirchner October 25, 2010 at 9:36 am

This is a great tradition! My kids favorite Halloween book is actually more of a Day of the Dead book. It’s Just a Minute: A Trickster Tale by Yuyi Morales. The story is funny, it teaches kids to count to ten in Spanish and the illustrations are amazing! We’ve inspired us to read it by candle light tonight.

Sue Kirchner
http://www.ChocolateCakeMoments.com – Simple, Creative & Memorable Family Fun Ideas

8 Casey September 25, 2012 at 10:50 am

We do the same thing! Every night of the year we read bedtime books by either candle light or flash light (if the book has glow in the dark items we use the flash light) But each year I spend a chunk of money on used Halloween and Christmas books for the respective seasons :) I find myself wondering if, later in life, my daughter will always equate the sent of candle smoke with books, sleep, and cozy evenings :) I hope so!

9 Lorri October 11, 2012 at 3:45 am

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative.
I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

10 Vanessa Azevedo October 27, 2012 at 10:02 am

I take pleasure in, cause I found just what I used to be taking a look
for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt!

God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye