Headless Horseman Party

October 19, 2006

Wishing you were hosting a Halloween Party? Try this one:

Every October our friends like to host a reading of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. They pre-order a bunch of copies (enough for 1 copy per 2 people), set up enough seating for 20 to 30 people and serve every fall-flavor dessert you can think of.

All the guests take part in the reading — each person reads 3 or 4 paragraphs and turns move around the circle in order. By the time everyone in the circle has read a couple of times the story is finished.

It is surprisingly entertaining to hear your friends read aloud — funny to see who can’t resist breaking into an accent or who has the instinctive ability to emphasize anything even slightly off-color. Some people are really good at reading aloud and others (read: me) are relieved when their turn is over.

An especially creepy event for New Yorkers, because Sleepy Hollow is just a 15 minute drive from here.

Cobweb candle instructions.

1 Sara October 19, 2006 at 9:20 am

My 12-year-old gets a part this year in place of trick-or-treating. It consists of 12 girls in halloween constumes eating pizza and candy and watching a spooky movie. Any movie ideas for this age? We had chosen Nightmare Before Christmas but it is being re-release this week in theaters.

2 c jane October 19, 2006 at 11:08 am

That sounds so very very fun! Great idea!

3 Josh October 19, 2006 at 11:53 am

It’s campy and old, but you can’t beat Disney’s “Watcher in the Woods.” If your kids can get past the 70s hairdo’s, it is a pretty spooky (if harmless) tale about a girl named Karen who keep seeing a blindfolded girl in the mirror. NAREK.
Disney’s “Something Wicked This Way Comes” is also spooky and old, and I believe, stars the kid from “A Christmas Story.”

4 Erin October 19, 2006 at 12:09 pm

Watcher in the Woods is my favorite scary movie. I loved it as a kid! I’m going to miss reading the sleepy hollow reading this year, I wish someone would take it over.

5 Jenni October 19, 2006 at 7:48 pm

what i meant to say was this holiday will not be the same without the headless horseman party

6 hiphostess October 21, 2006 at 1:20 pm

such a great idea! I’ll have to remember this one :)