Book Recommendation — by Guest Mom Lisa V. Clark

September 21, 2006

Tikki Tikki Tembo

This is a cute story about why the Chinese have such short names instead of grand, long names. I love this book mainly because I have such warm memories of my mother reading this book to my brothers and sisters and me. She was a “professional” story-teller and read with a lot of silliness and enthusiasm. I think most of the time we liked to look at her instead of the book. This book lends itself to great inflection and facial expression — one of the best in those regards. Now that I’m the reader, I have such an appreciation for the illustrations and their mother-color blue hues. (I’m also child #2 in our family, too, so I felt a little vindication when I read this story.)

Buy it here.

1 laurie September 21, 2006 at 10:01 am

this is one of my all-time favorites. the illustrations are gorgeous, and very very au courant right now with the whole silhouetted floral thing that’s so hip in the design world.

when my niece turned one, i made a bunch of white tshirts with iron-ons for her and one of the shirts had the butterfly kite from this book. that one was my favorite.

loving your guest blogging lisa v. clark!

2 liz s September 21, 2006 at 10:06 am

i love this book! it’s one of my all time favorites too, and a Ricks classic!

3 Design Mom September 21, 2006 at 12:42 pm

Maude just picked this at the library. What a great story.

I wish I had Lisa’s voice talent. I bet your kids love hearing stories from you! Ralph once asked me to read Harry Potter in a British accent but I couldn’t stop laughing. . .

4 jordan September 21, 2006 at 12:43 pm

Gabby, If you want a good English accent, please call me.

5 sarahdavemalcolm September 21, 2006 at 2:02 pm

tikki tikki tembo nosarembo chari bari ruchi pip perri pembo…. Or something like that. I still remember from when it was read to me and it never fails to put a smile on my face.
Gabby, I love your blog.
Sarah

6 Bek September 21, 2006 at 4:23 pm

I forgot that I loved this book. I need to go buy it right now. This, and Ping the duck…

R

7 lisa v. clark September 21, 2006 at 7:52 pm

Ping the duck! Another classic!

Also look for “Angus and the Ducks”–fun story, excellent illustrations

8 Anonymous November 17, 2007 at 4:24 pm

I was in third grade when my teacher mrs.stuflick read us this book and i really enjoyed it.me and my friends used to see who could say the first childs name the fastest!