Disappointed by Melamine

July 13, 2006

I’m on a quest for darling plastic dinnerware. I have other unbreakable options in the cupboard, but they involve metal and don’t work with the microwave.
The kids need something non-ceramic they can use to warm up their chocolate-chip cookies and pizza slices.

So plastic is in order. Something plastic, but pretty. The bummer is, everytime I find a great-looking plastic plate (like those pictured) it is inevitably made out of melamine which looks and feels like plastic, but is not for use in microwaves. Absolute torture.

The first person to hook me up with a source on cute, plastic, non-melamine plates wins my undying affection.

1 ashlynn July 14, 2006 at 12:35 pm

When I first saw these I didn’t expect them to be melamine so I immediatly found out where to purchase them. I love them.

BRAND: Percidio

Unfortunatly I cannot find them now – they are sold out where I have searched. Search ebay & you can find them every once in awhile.

2 Design Mom July 14, 2006 at 12:37 pm

Thanks, Ashlynn. I’ll keep on the lookout.

3 Lindsey July 14, 2006 at 1:00 pm

I thought I saw some at Target the other day. I’ll expect a report when you find what you’re looking for. Put Jordan on the job.

4 allysha July 15, 2006 at 10:37 pm

I saw some plates at Bed Bath and Beyond today that you might be interested in. They are technically melamine, but they are microwavable. No fancy colors or patterns- they’re clear actually, with a slight brownish tint to them, but you might like them. I only saw plates, but I think they have bowls as well.

5 Design Mom July 17, 2006 at 7:26 am

Thanks Allysha. Sounds like it’s time for a fieldtrip to Bed, Bath & Beyond.

6 Jana July 18, 2006 at 8:28 am

I favor plain white Corelle dishes. My kids drop them all of the time and they hardly ever break. Admittedly, they do not pass the “super-cool-design” test, but they make life easier because they are so practical.

7 Jill Fenichell September 8, 2006 at 10:59 pm

Hi, my name is Jill Fenichell and I own and design the melamineware line of tableware called Bongenre.com. Not to rain on the parade but no melamine should be microwaved — and really no plastic anything should be either. You could teach the kids to use a microwave safe container and then place the food on attractive dinnerware. All plastics by their very nature when placed within the microwave may emit harmful gasses so that’s why, as manufacturers, we all say – we don’t know what it does but dishwash, don’t zap.