Betty’s Announcement

July 21, 2006

One of the smartest things I’ve ever done is hire out my baby announcment design. Although I’m a graphic designer and I love designing baby announcements for everyone else, I had the forethought to know I shouldn’t design my own babys’. I knew I would be a) too stressed out with a new baby and b) feel really indecisive about any design I came up with.

So, when I was pregnant for the first time, I contacted one of my favorite illustrators, Apryl, and hired her to do the announcement. Apryl is crazy talented and does the most incredible lettering.

She gave us the original (about 7″ x 10″) as a gift and we sent out smaller prints in the mail. The original was framed and hung over the crib. It turned out so amazing, we’ve hired her for the rest of the baby announcements too. We just received Betty’s last week. So, so darling. I can’t wait to mail them out.

I’ve posted all five so you can see the series.

Note: the colors are washed out on Ralph’s and Maude’s because I was scanning from a print (the originals are in frames and hard to access), but I had good digital files of the originals on the other 3.

1 jordan July 21, 2006 at 1:11 pm

I LOVE these. If you weren’t my sister I would totally steal this idea from you.

2 Design Mom July 21, 2006 at 1:16 pm

Steal it dude. My friend Tania saw Oscar’s last year and hired Apryl to do her daughter’s. I think I’ll ask Tania permission to post it.

3 rachel July 21, 2006 at 1:23 pm

I love these. For some reason I remember Maude’s saying “March forth Maude”. Am I crazy?

4 rachel July 21, 2006 at 1:25 pm

Jordan, definitely steal it. I am so sorry that I didn’t do something like this.

5 Design Mom July 21, 2006 at 1:33 pm

In the corner of Maude’s, a little bug is saying, “March forth, Mimi!”

Remember when we used to call her Mimi?

6 robin kendall July 21, 2006 at 2:31 pm

These are all so darling, Gabby. What year was Olive born?

7 Megan July 21, 2006 at 2:46 pm

I want to steal it too. Can she do them from across the country? How much does she charge? They are all so adorable. Could she do it even though Ben is 18 months? Oh I hope so. They are so cute.

8 liz July 21, 2006 at 3:16 pm

wow. you are full of the best ideas ever Gabby. I am glad you have a blog so the uncreatives (me) can learn from you.

9 Design Mom July 21, 2006 at 3:31 pm

Megan, yes, she can do it from across the country. In fact, she currently lives in Seattle and it was no problem that I was in New York. Just contact her through her website: http://www.aprylstottdesign.com

She’ll do a sketch and email it to you in b&w. Once you’re happy with it, she’ll make the illustration in color and mail it to you. You can make print-outs of it for the mail on your home printer if you’re interested. Ask her for the price when/if you contact her.

10 Design Mom July 21, 2006 at 3:33 pm

Robin, Olive was born in 2001. (I forgot to have Apryl put it on the announcement, so next to Apryl’s signature on my original, I added the year, just in case I forget.)

11 Sharon July 21, 2006 at 3:35 pm

You’re baby names are perfect. Olive and Maude are my favorites. Have you ever read the young adult book called Olive’s Ocean? Every since I read that book I wanted to name one of my future kids Olive.

12 Design Mom July 21, 2006 at 3:42 pm

Sharon, I haven’t heard of Olive’s Ocean. Can’t wait to check it out.

13 Lindsey July 21, 2006 at 6:07 pm

Those are great. Thanks for posting all of them. I remember when you sent us Oscar’s last year. They really are the cutest.

14 allysha July 22, 2006 at 7:18 am

Those are so great! How fun to have a “theme.”

15 Mom in Mendon July 26, 2006 at 10:20 pm

Your announcements ARE great! And there’s this added bonus: Along with the announcement, you also get Betty.

16 laurie September 24, 2006 at 9:12 am

i’m going through my “initiation” into design mom and i’m probably going to end up commenting on all of them. i’m just warning you so you don’t think i’m a stalker.

i too am a designer and a mom, formerly of nyc, presently of nc. i think your blog is fabulous — you’ve quickly become one of my “check every day” blogs. and your birth announcements are gorgeous. great thinking jobbing these out. we were slaving over ours when my daughters were 2 months old (twins) and, although i’m happy with the results, i wouldn’t want to do it again.

17 McMemo January 16, 2009 at 1:52 pm

love– love–love them!
m

18 sherri/the claw April 16, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I love these announcements and love your kid’s names too. Found you via a mention on facebook about the toy project, which is also so amazing! looking forward to perusing your blog!

19 Simply Cathi April 27, 2010 at 7:26 am

I’m looking forward to seeing the new baby’s announcement!

20 Maria Plasterer May 8, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Love your site and am just now spending a little more time on it. The birth announcements are the cutest ever. I can’t believe you have all those kids and can still be so productive!

21 LLH Designs May 20, 2010 at 7:09 am

Just saw these thanks to the link. Love these! What a treasure! I love designing birth announcements for others, but my own children didn’t even have any because of the two reasons you stated above. You are a wise woman, Gabrielle!

Hooray for babies…Linsey

22 layla June 4, 2010 at 10:51 am

so beautiful.

august 26th is a very good day to be born.
and/or married, in my opinion.

23 Miss Stovetop October 20, 2010 at 3:23 am

Thanks to my preggie brain, I just cannot find June’s announcement cards on your site. Can someone post a link to that please?

24 Pear Tree Greetings July 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I love the idea of carrying the same theme through for siblings, even if born years apart! It gives an underlying feeling of family and connection. So adorable!! -Steph

25 Olivia November 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I think it’s so cool how Betty and Junes birthdays are one day after the other, just like Olive and Ralph.

These are so cool by the way!

26 Pam Rieser December 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Cute announcements!

27 Sue Stirling January 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Oh my goodness I have just found your website
It is too amazing!
I am a new teacher and I am off to buy a junior saw, so pencils and crayons around me are in trouble
Thank you so much for an amazing idea
Sue